“Racism, no takeaway food allowed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel

You added Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel to your Saves list
Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Abdul Aziz Endowment, Abraj Al Bait Complex | P. O. Box 762, Mecca 21955, Saudi Arabia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 236 Hotels in Mecca
Makkah
“Racism, no takeaway food allowed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is excellent, breakfast is excellent, rooms are very comfortable. The only problem I had is that security are very racist, since I'm from an Indian background I don't wear a Arab thobe or shemagh , the security on two occasions prevented me from entering the hotel 1) they demanded to see my room card, 2) they stopped since I had food( it was Indian food, Arab guy walks in with burger king he was allowed through), another silly regulation is that a person cannot bring takeout food into the restaurant .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for pointing out your experience with security. Our priority is our residents' comfort, and we are disappointed to see that you felt mistreated in any way. We will be relaying this incident directly to the security management team in the Abraj Al Beit complex to investigate this further (please feel free to email us at socialmediamakkah@raffles.com for any additional details.) Additionally, for the protection of our guests (namely because we can't guarantees safety of outside foods and due to potential hazards of heating food in rooms), we do not allow any food from outside the hotel. The person carrying Burger King should have certainly been informed of this policy also. Of course, there are some exceptions including special dietary requirements that may be unavailable. Thank you again for taking the time to post and for giving us your feedback.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Being a platinum member I have stayed in many Fairmont facilities around the world and I rate Fairmont Makkah one of the best due to its location, lay out, services, rooms and attention to detail. I was surprised to see mixed reviews as my wife and I found our stay outstanding. The staff was extraordinarily courteous (specifically Mr. Serag, Mr. Khairi and Mr. Ben Salah) I was immediately recognized as a Platinum member and was treated like a VIP. I have not seen such recognition in any other Fairmont location and would like to commend the General Manager and his team for doing a fabulous job. The rooms are comfortable specifically Kaaba view, breakfast is elaborate.

The best experience we had was due to the services provided by Mr Fazil Hussain who went out of the way in assisting us in selecting the best asian food and provided personalized attention. We observed him providing extra ordinary services to guests with his pleasing personality despite the restuarant being full during breakfast. I am a frequent traveler and fussy about attention to detail and only write reviews rarely when I am really impressed. I strongly recommend for Mr Fazil Hussain to be recognized by the management.

Cons: 1. some times the staff knock on the door despite "do not disturb" sign on the door.
2. Car entry to the facilities is complicated and wastes a lot of time.

Room Tip: Select Kaaba view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our service personalized! Mr. Fazil and the rest of the team look forward to welcoming you back soon! Regards,
Alain,UAE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel is one of the newest hotels in the clock tower, what is advertised about the hotel is true, but they did not mention how bad their services are:
1. When you arrive the hotel the concierge will take the luggage and will hand you a card "Contract Releasing Liability" it is written ' It is agreed in consideration thereof by the holder in accepting the check that the hotel shall not be liable for loss or damage to said property caused by NEGLIGENCE of the hotel or its employees ......' What does the mean? Simply take care of your luggage by yourself otherwise do not blame the hotel if something happened.
2. We arrived the hotel at 1130 AM and they refused to give us the rooms until 1400 PM hotel policy.
3. After accepting luggage contract because I had a lot of luggage it took them about 2 hours to take the luggage from the parking to the reception.
4. I booked 2 triple bed rooms with one extra beds on both of them, but when I checked in the rooms did not have the extra bed although the reservation shows the extra bed payment. Anyway they got me the extra bed after a big argument with them at about 2200 PM.
5. They suppose to clean the rooms everyday, but I had to call them everyday to ask for this service. The last night for me in the hotel they cleaned the rooms at 1930.
6. The hotel has 12 elevators for floors 1 to 16 but 6 were working only, therefore sometime we missed our prayer at the harm because of many guest where trying to go at the same time and not many elevators to serve them.
7. Bringing food from outside the hotel is not allowed.
In conclusion, the hotel is big but there is not enough staff to serve the guests, I advise you to book in other hotel if you have the options. I was in rooms 733 & 734 from Dec 29 to Jan 3.

Room Tip: Look for other hotel
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel is housed within the tallest of the seven towers comprising the Abraj Al-Bait complex and is just across from the Haram in Makkah. I stayed with my son and his family who were upgraded to a suite at no additional cost. The view of the Haram and Kaaba were fantastic both during day and night. The suite was spacious with a separate living and dining area and two washrooms. Truly a five-star facility as well as the service was excellent. The hotel even allowed a late check-out at no additional charge. However, the provision of massage service within the hotel for guests who are primarily there for a spiritual journey is in my opinion not warranteed. The number of elevators leading to the 2nd to 15 floors is inadequate for the number of guests during busy periods. The guest drop-off area within the basement is common to all seven hotels within the complex and requires driving skills to negotiate the sharp turns. Also one has to go to a paid parking area which is really expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor and facing the Kaaba view if one can afford to pay the premium for the view.
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel looks magnificent. very impressive lobby. The rooms are quite big but over-stuffed with furniture.
The location is excellent. Right in the Clock Tower. Just steps away from the Haram.
The staff are very polite, friendly and extremely helpful.
The breakfast buffet was a disappointment. The service was very poor and extremely slow. The place runs out of clean plates and you have to wait for a long time to get them. Also, when some platters are empty, they take long time to refill. And you have to wait for very very very long just to get your coffee or tea!
If you follow a healthy diet. Not enough variety of fruits or wholemeal bread.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy that you enjoyed our location and that you found our staff helpful. We have discussed your comments with our food and beverage manager directly, and are working on developing more varied health options in our outlets. Additionally, please do let us know if you have any dietary requirements or preferences (socialmediamakkah@fairmont.com) to ensure that our team adheres to these requirements during your stay in the future. Thank you again for your post, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon! Regards,
Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

First of all, usually I stay at Intercontental (Dar Altwheed) in Makkah but this was first time for me to stay somewhere else. So my standard will be IC Hotel (Dar Altwheed).

Location: located at the end of Abraj Albeet complex so you need to walk though all the mall to go to Alharam, and the main gate of the complex located front of King Abdulaziz gate. It’s almost 350m from the hotel gate in the complex to king Abdulaziz gate.
it will be so hard to find the entrance If you driving your self (as me) I was driving from King Abdulaziz airport and I spent around half an hour looking for the hotel parking (no signs of any directing in the web site or around the hotel)
The concierge notes me usually the barking is free during non beak days but in beak days there is charge 200 SAR per day. ( as I know all the hotels in the complex have same rolls).
Checking-in: there was no one except me in the reception, but I waited 10 min until some one come to check me in.
The Room: my room no. was (1102) I surprised about what I get but I think if you see the picture that I add with this review you will know what I mean.
Before I get in the room, Next to my room there was some maintenance working and without any partition, In the room the carpet was so dirty and the color changed, and the paint on one wall was damage because of wetness, about the mattress there was something I couldn’t understand its was soft from side and hard from the other side (I think its over used) and not comfortable at all. With view from window was poor but this is not a big problem, the problem it was too dirty with cement, Also the room was smaller than what I expect.
Bathroom: was ok but water pursue less than what you expect in 5 star hotels and, the drain in the shower not working as it should be. Also there was no cotton and cotton buds in the room (as I know its standard in any 5 star hotel).
(my reservation was just for one day so I didn’t make any complain until I came back from Omrah)
Breakfast: the buffet was ok if I am in 3 or 4 star hotel but in 5 star hotel this shame, they offer only 5 hot dishes (hotdogs, eggs, baked beans, bacon and steam rice) that’s all. And I expect much more than what they offer.
Checkout: smooth not more than 10 min.
Valet parking: be aware about this service they offer it for free but they cost me 150 SAR because the guy who take my car he hit it with something (no body told me about this until I return the car to the rental office) I rent the car with 100% insurance and it was easy to make a report for insurance company if someone told me about this accident but no one told me anything.
After I came pack from Omrah I called the manager of the hotel and as he say the valet parking guys notes him about this accident one day later.
Overall: I will not recommend this hotel for any one, and I think this is worst experience ever for meز

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel is relatively new it's been open for a year now .. It's very clean and right in front of the masjid it's located in the clock tower . The lobby has fresh flowers all over so when you enter you smell beautiful scents all over the place . The breakfast buffet is good with a variety of food choices to choose from . The rooms have the speakers so you can hear the call for prayer and prayers from your room . Overall experience lovely I just hope the hotel maintains its quality .

• Stayed December 2012
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful post! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the fresh flowers and the breakfast buffet. The Makkah Clock Royal Tower team looks forward to welcoming you again! Regards,

Been to Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel? Share your experiences!