“I liked it more than Petra” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Jerash Ruins like an insider
Private Tour
$156*
and up
Private Tour: Jerash and Umm Qais Day Trip from...
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Jerash
Doha, Qatar
6 attraction reviews
“I liked it more than Petra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

When my tour guide mentioned that we would be visiting Jerash, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had visited Petra the day before and as much as Petra is more advertised than Jerash, I will say that I loved Jerash a lot more. I guess it is influenced by my obsession with Ancient Civilizations. I was blown away by all the temple ruins and the history that was attached to them. On that day, the sky was so blue which was a beautiful contract to the beige colour of the ruins. I even got to ride around on an old roman style chariot in the small arena.

The down side to Jerash would be some of the local people there. I was traveling alone and more than once was approached with the offer to take my picture. Of course I agreed but then one picture turned in a several in different angles and in different places (all a few meters from each other) and then afterwards he asked for a tip, which I gave them. I do have a few lovely pictures as a result but if you don't want a mini photoshoot every few meters then politely decline any offer for pictures.

Visited September 2012

London, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
“Ancient ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The entrance fee is 8JD for non Jordanians and you walk through a little market souk - worth having a look - I regretted later. The ruins are in excellent conditions and comapred to other sites I had seen, it is kept very clean. You can easily spend half a day there and unlike comments I saw elsewhere it is possible to find a bit of a shade (the theatre) to have your lunch.

Visited June 2013
Los Angeles
11 attraction reviews
“OMG!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were set to tour the ancient ruins of Jerash and had no idea what to expect. All I can say s wow, and why had we not heard about this axing site. Don't miss it.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Better than Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having never heard of Jerash, we felt overwhelmed with the magnificent well preserved ruins here in north Jordan. Having visited Roman ruins all over Europe, I can honestly say these are the most impressive. Only relatively recently uncovered with acres more to dig up, Jordan has a real secret treasure here. I would recommend hiring a local guide at the site, they are very knowledgable and enthusiastic and give you a great feel for the place. We visited in Ramadan in low season (July). It was very quiet and very hot so I took a UV parasol which was needed. We also had plenty of water with us. There isn't a great deal of shade, so dress appropriately and wear sunscreen.

Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
“Jerash ruins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

A must do! Exceptional and well preseved ruins. You'll see big arch,coliseum, buildings and main streets and all were impressive. Overall it was an interesting visit, we enjoyed it and wont hesitate recommending!