“better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Dead Sea Region
chepstow
“better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

After reading the last few reviews of this resort,I was not sure what the place would be like.But,as I was staying there as part of a charity cycle ride I had no choice.
I was pleasantly surprised.It has been recently refurbished.The rooms were nicely decorated and we had a small balcony which over looked the dead sea.Bathrooms were clean but not that well decorated.Comfortable clean beds with good duvets.
The restuarant was very nice, good choices on the buffet dinner and for breakfast.
The pool area and bar was very attractive with a nice childrens pool with slides and water toys.
There were nice warm showers on the beach.The thing that let it down was the beach area.The beach beds were old and cracked and it didn't look well kept.
I can't comment on the treatment areas as we didn't use them.
There are much posher resorts along this stretch but this hotel was perfectly fine.I would stay again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — beach area
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

I arrived at the hotel after several days traveling around Jordan which overall were great.
On first appearance the hotel looks nice - a renovation job has been done to make it seem like a 4 star hotel - but being generous I would give it a 2.
The staff are not particularly pleasant - not unpleasant - just not tourism industry friendly.
The clinic - for the spa treatments- is very utilitarian and if you arrive, as I did, late in the day the clinic reception make it seem like you are putting them out to want a treatment. And the number of treatments available was limited to 1 - hardly acceptable for high season.
A large portion of the beach is unusable as it is covered with huge mounds of construction rubble.
The big problem for me was the construction. First of all no one advised me that there might be construction noise in the evening. It is understandable (although not really) to have it during the daytime. But it continued after dark and didnt stop until I complained repeatedly - eventually having to go to the reception to do so. This was not light building noises - but hammering that was making items in my room vibrate. No one was particularly apologetic and there was no offer to make up for the aggravation I was caused.
Frankly after having such a good experience in the rest of Jordan I was particularly annoyed that it would be my last experience.

• Disliked — Construction and lack of concern for my comfort
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South West England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

Oh dear ! We arrived here at the end of a lovely week travelling round Jordan in a small family tour group, with high expectations of a little bit of comfort to finish the trip.

First the positives - the food was OK, for one night only. The public areas were OK too. Some of the staff were obliging, when not run off their feet or defending the indefensible.

The negatives : it has the airs of a four star hotel ( and the stars to prove it) . Well, we stayed in better 2/3* hotels that week, so I struggle with the awards criteria. When you scratch under the surface, the problems start to appear. Each of our tour group returned to reception with a problem, generally cleanliness-related. But the most amazing thing was that, although the rooms ( we had two connecting) had baths, there were no bath plugs. It turned out that was hotel policy and others were at reception beating the same ( vain) drum. The duty manager argued that it was perfectly normal to have a bath with no plugs in a four star hotel. Wonderful. After a week's weary wandering, a soak of the bones ( not just in the salty sea, which was nice )though had been an inviting prospect. After nearly an hour's begging (it's the principle of course !! ... ) they finally came up with some to share, but we soon found out that a improvising flannel did the job - silly us.
From the restaurant to the houskeeping, you get a sense there is some scrimping going on.
I can look back and smile now, but if you can avoid this hotel, do so, particulalry if you are likely to be there for more than one night. Even if it costs double, go to one of the others along the way - I would another time.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arbroath, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

This is a very pleasant hotel. clean and well designed. Two swimming pools with one specifically for young people at a slight distance so that you need not be disturbed by noise. The food was very good although the staff could be a little lackadaisical. We would go back there again.

Stayed June 2006
Lichfield, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

The hotel is clean and modern although the bathroom fittings are showing the effects of age.
We had a problem with towels on arrival. We were with a group and none of the rooms had towels when we arrived mid-afternoon, nor were they there, despite complaint, an hour later. Apparently there was a problem with the laundry. Next day no hand towels were left...
The food was excellent. Some of the staff had problems understanding English.
There was construction work next door but it was not intrusive.
The swimming pools were good. The Dead Sea was a bit mucky but presumably that was because of a strong wind whipping up waves and churning up debris.
We enjoyed our two nights there and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

The Dead Sea Spa is a very tired hotel / resort. The rooms are small, especially if you have a king sized bed cramped in it. The buffet is mediocre and the restaurant closes up early (9:00 or so) so don't leave dinner too late. Then facing instant coffee in the morning wasn't my idea of a resort / spa. Glad we only had to spend one night there on our vacation to Jordan.

• Stayed November 2005
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2005

I have just returned from Jordan and spent 4 nights at the Dead Sea Spa Hotel. The overall impression of the hotel is very poor. First, there was a lot of construction the hotel did not advise about before our travel. I felt like I stayed at the construction site with all the hammering and drilling noises 24 hours a day. Second, food. It is served buffet style. Dinner is just reheated lunch. Third, service. The first day we went to have breakfast, there was nobody to greet us at the restaurant. As soon as we filled our plates and were ready to sit down at an empty table a waiter appeared telling us we couldn't seat there. We went to a different table. The whole restaurant was empty except for two large tables occupied by a large group of German tourists. Again the answer was "no". I asked where he wanted us to seat. The waiter told us with the large group of tourists since other tables were already set for lunch. Had to wait for 20 minutes for a cup of Turkish coffee at lunch. At the spa clinic the service was even worse. When I first came to the clinic I asked the receptionist to show the medical center and tell about available treatments. She just motioned with her hand to the wall where a stained print out was posted. I signed up for a mud wrap. When a therapist was applying mud she decided to have a small talk. She asked me how many times a day I prayed and read the Bible. I told her I never discuss money, sex and religion with strangers especially when I am naked on a table. She took it as a lack of devotion and started lecturing me about the need to do it three times a day since we normally eat three times a day.
Fourth, there is no entertainment at night. Given there is no life outside of hotel it leaves you with very little choices.
Overall I was not too impressed with the hotel. You will be better off staying at other hotels near by.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Dead Sea Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!