“Second Hand Smokey Filth” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mansour

Mansour
You added Mansour to your Saves list
Mansour
Down Town - King Faisal St | on the side lane before the main branch of Arab Bank, Amman 11118, Jordan   |
Ranked #10 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Amman
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Second Hand Smokey Filth”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Take a look at the size of my unexpected roommate -- Mr. Cock Roach. Plus don't look under the lumpy bed for there was a used condom wrapper. The manager was super nice while smoking and being on the computer all day long. It would only take a minute to dust and stack the bookshelf to give it a clean first appearance in the lounge. WIFI was strong and the location can be beat at the major intersection of town though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The location and relatively inexpensive price of the Mansour are probably its only redeeming qualities. The owner/manager (it was never really clarified) was relatively pleasant. Sure there's a free hot beverage in the smoke-laden lobby, but I would warn anyone against staying here.

I am not a stranger to staying in hostels and am no means a "clean-freak", as I'll gladly look the other way for minor to reasonable indiscretions in favor of character or the staff rectifying any problems. However, my experience here was an entirely different level of discomfort.

Four of us met up with a few other friends in Amman who had a separate room. When we arrived we discovered that there was no ensuite bathroom in our room as we had expected, and instead were told to use the ensuite bathroom attached to their room, as the general hallway restroom was out of order. Our other friends were out at the time, so we were just given keys, not that the flimsy locks were very suitable to their jobs anyway. We quickly discovered that there was no toilet paper in our friends' room or the hall bathway, and when when we requested this from the owner/manager he asked if we could wait nearly two hours until after 4pm (which I assume was when he expected a delivery?). We had just arrived and were fully paying for our reserved but unoccupied room from the night before (as the result of missed transportation), so it seemed incredibly unreasonable that we couldn't even get toilet paper after arriving. To his credit, when we relayed the urgency of our need the man promptly left the hostel and went to the store to buy us a few rolls. How a hostel thought that they could get by without toilet paper for awhile is beyond me however.

The beds were unbelievably unbecoming for sleep, as they were excruciatingly hard. Eventually I was overcome by weariness, passing out for awhile before being woken early by the incessant and loud noise that fills the rooms. Upon waking, it was hard to miss what was clearly ten or so bites that had accumulated on my lower legs. I was staying in the room with three other friends, and one of them also had about a dozen bites on her legs as well, which also were acquired after laying down.

I would have rather paid double to stay elsewhere with reasonably sanitary conditions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I booked my stay at Manour based on reviews from Tripadvisor and some other sites, most of which were very positive. However, my own experience was not great.

Louy, the owner, is a great guy and speaks great english and can help you out a lot. His friend is a taxi driver and so he arranges for taxis for the guests at very cheap rates with a driver who speaks good english and knows the area very well. There is also free wifi everywhere in the hotel.

But that is where the positives end.

The hotel itself is a mess. As some reviewers here have mentioned people smoke inside so the building smells and the fridge is (technically) operational but in such a horrendous state that I wasn't comfortable with putting anything inside of it. The rooms are filthy, the beds and pillows are hard so I wound up with a sore back and the fan in the room didn't work very well and was incredibly loud. I'm sure there are also bacterial infections lurking in the bed given how filthy it was. The showers are worse than disgusting and have low water pressure and the toilets, as one reviewer on here has noted, make you not want to go in at all. There is also no toilet paper provided.

The free breakfast is, in reality, a piece of bread and a boiled egg and cups of tea served in glasses that I found out are washed by hand in cold water, which is probably why I got sick. The sickness put a real dampener on my stay in Amman as well.

As a student who travels on a budget and was only stopping in Jordan briefly on my way to Bethlehem for volunteer/work purposes I didn't expect luxury and I cannot say that the bad hostel in Amman ruined my trip altogether as I am willing to put up with some blemishes here and there to save money. However, I did see a young couple with a small child who were staying in one room and I felt immensely sorry for them having their family holiday in such a place.

If Louy invested some money in hiring a cleaner and doing up the place a little I'd say it would make a decent hostel given its location, Louy's knowledge of the area and the free wifi.

I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: Bring own toilet paper and own sheets and pillow as beds are a disgrace.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Loay (manager) worths all the staying!! He really helped us a lot planning out visit of Amman and surroundings!! The rooms are clean and very cheap (you can have a double room with 15 jd included breakfast!!) People you can find here are very easy going too!! In conclusion if you go to Amman go there!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed briefly; checked in at 9pm, caught the JETT bus at 7am the next day.

The guy who checked us in was helpful, very friendly and laid back. The room was monastic - a firm bed with clean sheets and hardly anything else in it. The toilet was very, very dirty. It can't have ever been cleaned.

If you can handle the grittier end of things, you'll be rewarded with an excellent location at an incredibly low price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dokkum, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stay for 2 nights at this Place and the location was really good the staff helP us alot with along of things
The Price is really cheaP so expect to get a really basic room
The toilets where a big nightmare so dirty that you wanna not get in!!!

• Stayed October 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

This hotel is terrible. I arrived at night, people were smoking inside, my room smelt of smoke, it was noisy, bathroom very unclean. I felt very uncomfortable and unsafe, as a solo woman. I got out as early as i could in the morning and found a much better hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Mansour? Share your experiences!