“Aleppan food, song and dance in family atmosphere downtown” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Cairo
“Aleppan food, song and dance in family atmosphere downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This cafe's atmousphere is the best one could hope for--warm, lively, and filled with interesting characters, both the staff and guests. The food is delicious, and the cook makes Aleppan-style dishes such as Kibbe and Mashawi (grilled skewers) as his mother hails from Aleppo. I live in Amman on a research fellowship, and as such am not a tourist, but I come to the restaurant regularly for the food, the company and the singing and dabke in the evenings. Although it is called Pizza Roma I've never once had pizza and have never been disappointed.

The chef Mr. Hossam offers cooking classes for both classic Jordanian dishes such as Mansaf and Maqlubeh as well as for Aleppan-style Kibbe. I have organized classes for my American friends in Amman as well as my mother when she came to visit, and was delighted with the experience each time. There is a separate prep. room separate from the kitchen which allows enough space for each person to work on the food as well as relax in a circle. If you do a class on Kibbe your group goes with the chef to the butcher to watch him grind up and knead together the bulghur, onions and spices for the Kibbe dough. He has a dramatic flair and is chivalrous and not the least bit leering in the way one sometimes finds with tour guides or similar.

Dabke (line dancing) is almost every evening around 8 or 9pm, which is great fun. Again a note for girls out there, the atmousphere is family-like and not expositionist. Although the staff who dance are all male, there are almost always a few girls among the guests in addition to the owner's wife, who is usually there as well. There is no cause for concern and everyone is respectful and just has a wholesome-feeling good time. If you like to sing, the group usually sings a mixture of Arabic songs before or after the dabke, both old and new, and whichever songs visitors know and want to sing.

There is also a roof balcony with beautiful view of Amman where you can order tea or food. It is pleasant in warm weather.

• Visited December 2012

• Indonesian first
amman
“My favourite hang out in downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

By chance I came across this neat mod looking building in downtown Amman.It became my favourite spot where I catch up with my friends.We enjoy smoking the shisha,the coffee and some times delicious food on the menu made by the chef Hosam .We love the nightly show of tradiional local songs and dance the Dabke .For a few dinars we have a great night out.
I recommend this cafe to locals like myself and visitors to Amman.

• Visited February 2013
amman
“Fabulous Café and Brilliant Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Where do I start .Having read the reviews about this cafe we kind of knew what to expect.
My self and partner had a wonderful night of entertainment original show great fun by the staff
We were up on our feet learnt to dance in minutes .Dinner reasonably priced ,a tasty pizza for me and a chicken curry for my partner was superb, Greek salad and polo drink.
We had a fantastic night out without burning a hole in the pocket. Great value for
We look forward to going back soon
Marwen

• Visited February 2013
Amman, Irbid, Jordan
“A New Address in Café Culture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

> I went with my friends to watch the much talked about dance. We did
> enjoy that did a bit of singing on the night. We did not expect to find
> the wide range of dishes they have .We had a feast soup, main dish ,salad
> and desert delicious food for 8 dinars each . The chef Hosam was one of
> the performers dancer
> I think any of the other big names in café s around town we would have
> paid 20-30 Dinars each. We had a great night
> We look forward to going back to Pizza Roma Café.

• Visited January 2013
jordan
“family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

from the firs day , u feel that you are in your family from the first hour, even i was in downtown of amman , but this means you are in heart town of pasha hotel and roma pizza cafe, this is the way i felt ,, not cheating , very clean food, all with cheap price ,
i wish the roma pizza cafe more development couse they are hard worker people ,,
one last thing, thank you all staff of roma pizza cafe , and specially the owner raymoned, and the night shift manager who named firas
best regards