“Interesting and a good selection of local handicrafts” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 63 things to do in Amman
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Interesting and a good selection of local handicrafts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Simply put Souk Jara is worth a visit on Friday, the only day of the week when the Souk operates. There is a great selection of handicrafts through to bibles, books and antiques. There are very few refreshments available however so either come with your own water or drinks, or walk back further up the main road and experience one of the mint lemonade tees which are so refreshing. At the bottom of the steps from souk Jara you will find the Wild Jordan. I cannot recommend highly enough the Wild Jordan Cafe, fantastic food and superb views over Amman.

Amman, Jordan
“A place where artists meet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

As for visitors from outside Amman, you will find whatever kind of souvenir to get to your loved ones or to your family members. I always found Souk Jara since childhood as one of the special spots of Rainbow St. nothing is more beautiful than walking into a nice street full of handmade crafts and arts, you can wander around to find many exquisite organic herbs from Jordan, The experience at night is awesome as you get to listen to local Jordanian talents/ Bands playing, while you're sipping your Batateekh Juice ( Watermelon Juice) or eating your favourite delicious local burger. The prices of everything is pretty much fair, I always appreciate the handmade / Local crafts and arts. I really recommend visiting it and socializing with the nice people of Amman. Souk Jara is a nice place for local and foreigner artists to meet and share.

Bahrain
39 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable Crafts Shopping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This Open-air Souk is so special with its diverse stalls selling various crafts, it's one of the biggest crafts market i have ever seen. You will find there anything crosses your mind, whether it's made of glass, textiles, colorful paints , gemstones, papers, and even antiquities representing Palestinian and Jordanian heritage. You can get lots of items as gifts or souvenirs. I would advice everyone to visit this enjoyable market, it opens every Friday till sunset.

Toronto, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“Just plunge in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Although I'd just arrived in Amman and was suffering from jet lag, the view from my hotel room tempted me down to the street. I saw the Souk Jara, an enormous flea market, which sells bits & bobs of everything, but specializes in second hand clothing - like an open-air Goodwill, which on Fridays sprawls over the vast area of a decommissioned bus terminal.

Well, there's nothing like shopping to make me feel at home. Most of the goods were poor quality but the real adventure is moving among the citizens of Amman as they go about their everyday lives. Much of what's for sale in Jordan is geared to foreigners. The Souk Jara, however, is the real deal.

After hours of wandering among the stalls, I found a lovely mustard/burgundy silk wraparound skirt for 1 dinar & a long black robe, an abaya, with rich red embroidery down the front & on the cuffs. An elderly shopper, with whom I'd had brief eye contact, nodded her approval of my choice; so I got the price down a little & paid 4 dinars. (1 dinar = approx. CAD$1.65)

The atmosphere was very relaxed and no one bothered me. I mention this because I overheard some other tourists who apparently just stood at the edge, being too nervous to plunge in. Don't let the noise and the crowds intimidate you!

Between the people watching and the shopping, my visit to Souk Jara was an excellent introduction to Jordan!

Visited April 2014
Jerusalem
“Beautiful and welcoming so much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I didn't expect too much from visiting one more bazaar, but as much as I can say – Wow! What a beautiful surprise Soul Jara was. The atmosphere was very calm, peaceful and welcoming, secular. I bought there a professional Moroccan tea kettle, half price in comparison to other shops, so I was very satisfied with fair price. Also there were unique "fast fruit" dishes, artistic glass products, very fresh spices which I appreciate its unique nuances in comparison the average spices of downtown shops. I would like to revisit the souk next summer, and hope that it will keep on its beautiful and simple attitude.

Visited August 2013