“very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 116 Hotels in Amman
IRAQ
“very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I arrived the hotel after mid night and I was surprised when I saw the front desk employee waiting for me with a very nice welcome drink and nice smile. I recommend this hotel to stay in because it looks so nice, cozy and quite, the rooms looks like five stars hotel…. I love it

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Very nice, Clean and well taken care of Hotel, Great Service, Excellent location, Rooms are very well designed and furnished.
I would strongly recomend this Hotel for anyone visiting Amman.
Will be back again next time..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Neuss
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

The room was tidy and comfortable. the bed was big. Bathrooms was also very clean. Breakfast was not so much. There was free internet.You can use the taxi, which is available, to reach the downtown. It is located in a crowded area, because the hotel is very close to it, but you still enjoy your quiteness in the hotel

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Neuss
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Rooms are middle size, served with Buffet breakfast, free internet, helpful reception. Location is near Jordan Hospital and you can a taxi easily becaue you need a taxi to go into town. Breakfast could be better. Each room has its own decoration. Very reasonable prices.
Would visit this hotel when we travel to Amman.

• Stayed February 2010
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed at this Modern and top of the line Hotel in Amman during my Business trip from Canada to Jordan , meeting with some clients who arrived from diffrent places and stayed at the same Hotel , What a great place to be at . Friendly enviornment , Very Clean and well taken care of.Location is excellent, The room was big, comfortable and the breakfast buffet excellent, Besides the room being very nice what to say about the service. The staff at the Front Desk , Service people and all of them smiled and made sure every step was taken to ensure smooth staying
If you are thinking of going to Jordan, make sure you book at the The Canyon Boutiqe Hotel you can't go wrong
Wonderful

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We were booked at the Canyon Boutique Hotel by our trip planner and I was worried about staying there after the lousy recent reviews. She said that they'd never had complaints so I didn't force a change.
The hotel is light, clean, and comfortable. The standard rooms are not large and not set up for someone intending to do work, e.g., no desk but a coffee table on which we could do basic computer work -- and free WIFI. But the rooms and baths were clean and attractive and the beds comfortable.
The staff was helpful in every instance we requested aid and in basic transactions.
Breakfast was relatively light but the food offered was good and the dining area, including a terrace, very nice.
The upstairs dining room and terrace were lovely though the menu is modest as they are redoing one kitchen.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Let me preface this review by saying that I'm generally favorable with hotels - 99% of the time, even if a hotel is nothing special, I have a good experience, the hotel is clean and reasonably quiet, and It's not utterly terrible. The Canyon Boutique Hotel, however, is completely terrible and possibly the single worst hotel I've stayed in on my travels.

The location is good, and it was nice to be across the street from a large modern supermarket (and sharing the parking lot with a very modern hospital -- my stepfather had asthma issues during the trip -- which I'm sure his smoky room only exacerbated -- and had to go to the emergency room which was literally a two-minute walk away.)

The hotel at first looks small, boutique-y, and trendy, with lots of modern design touches. Then one begins to notice the grimy carpets. The thick layer of dust on the in-room coffee machine. The dirty glasses. The broken toilet seat. The broken close-up mirror in the bathroom. The absent pillowcase on the filthy pillow. And all that was just my room; others in our group begged for soap, only to have it taken the next time the housekeeper came, or had broken reading lights, and other issues. (On our third day there, the toilet seat was repaired.)

It was very warm in our room, and when we called we found that the hotel staff had turned the A/C system off. (Even though Amman was experiencing uncharacteristically warm weather for mid-March -- approximately 90 degrees Fahrenheit.)

The hotel supposedly had Wi-Fi available, but it was sporadic at best in the lobby and almost completely nonexistent in the rooms -- I could see the networks, but could not connect to them.

Dinner in the hotel's restaurant was good, with fish in a nice Hollandaise-type sauce and a good fried apple pastry for dessert. However, breakfast is clearly minimal-effort, with stale bread and oozing cheese left out. Also, good luck getting coffee or tea. And if you're not there when the restaurant opens for breakfast, and you're the second person that day to use a table, good luck even getting a cup for coffee. Or a napkin or silverware. Or a clean plate.

The worst part, though, was how they treated me. Upon check-in, I wanted to send some shirts to be laundered, and noticed that no laundry bag was present. I asked at the desk for a laundry bag, and the receptionist said that one would be sent up, but it never arrived. The next morning at breakfast, I asked again for a laundry bag, with the same result: one was promised but never delivered. I went out sightseeing for the day with my group, and upon returning went to try to use the Internet service in the below-ground lobby. When I returned to my room, I was utterly shocked to find a large package on my bed with ALL my clothes, cleaned and wrapped in plastic. The housekeeper or someone had gone through my things, taken my dirty clothes from my dirty-clothes bag (which didn't look like the hotel's; it was from an Egyptian hotel I'd visited two weeks prior) -- which was in a far corner, under my suitcase -- and had washed everything. (I did not take my clothes to the desk, nor had I left them outside the room, nor had I left them near the door, nor had I filled out the laundry form.) I informed the front desk (together with my tour guide, in English and Arabic) that this had happened, and that I did not intend to pay for this since the hotel had performed this service without my permission or authorization. The receptionist said they would address the problem later, since the housekeeping manager was not present. The next morning, we tried again to address the issue, but the housekeeping manager was still not present.

When I checked out, I was stopped and prevented from leaving because of the bill. I once again informed them that I would not pay for a service that I did not request, and they produced a laundry bill on which they'd forged my name, and wanted to charge me JD41 -- about US$60. An unbelievably unpleasant twenty-minute argument ensued. The attitudes of the two receptionists, the housekeeping manager, and two other managers ranged from standoffish to smarmy to downright hostile, and were imbued throughout with a "customer-is-always-wrong" mentality. One receptionist went so far as to say "It's not my problem." The housekeeping manager blamed my roommate, saying that he shouldn't have said "thank you" when my clothes were delivered if I hadn't requested them to be washed. (My roommate had no idea I hadn't sent anything out.) Hotel staff also told me that my asking for a laundry bag was a signal that I wanted *all* my clothes washed (for all the hotel knew, I might have wanted a plastic bag to store wet sandals), that when Jordanians travel, they're happy when hotel staff wash all their clothes (how must Jordanians deal with clothes they don't want washed? Hide them? Put them in the hotel safe?), that I "should be happy" the clothes had been washed, and that I was a thief and a criminal.

My tour guide was also with me, and fortunately took my side and argued with staffers in Arabic while I argued with them in English. Not once did the hotel concede that they might be in the wrong, and never did they admit responsibility for a single problem during the stay.

After the third time they threatened to call the police and have me arrested (!), I reluctantly paid the bill. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone. I've traveled in 32 countries -- many of them far less-developed than Jordan -- and never had an experience as insulting and truly unpleasant as this one.

• Stayed March 2010

Been to Canyon Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!