“below average hotel accommodation” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Website Rate
Ranked #47 of 118 Hotels in Amman
Barrowford, United Kingdom
“below average hotel accommodation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff were pleasant but that did not make up for the inadequacies of the limited food at breakfast and evening and the appallingly negligent attitude to the reliability of meal provision. While there recently our evening meal was cancelled without notice one day and replaced by a very limited "room service menu",( we were the only ones dining; it was very unpleasant) the meal delayed 30 mins without notice another day. When you are there for a limited period and plan with meal times as fixed it was vey poor. The management did not respond with an attitude to please to requests for more varied styles of food, eg some cereal, and jam. If you want international style food do not come here.
The rooms were comfortable but ours had no window and was only really suitable as a place to sleep and then leave. The modern front reception area deceived the guest into thinking other public areas were equally smart. In fact the dining room was dull and window-less, and there were no other public areas. The photos on the website give the impression of a characterful modern hotel but they are deceptive.
My stay was unpleasant and I could not recommend it at all.

Room Tip: Check your room has a window!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vilnius
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I booked this hotel on the recommendation of a colleague. At JD50 per night it was JD15 cheaper than the Red Rose and this included internet access.

CHeck in: was probably the fastest I have ever had - I only had time for one sip of my complementary fruit cocktail before I was being shown to my room on the top floor.

The room: was clean and new and the bathroom had a (short) bath with shower facility. The new TV did not work but was fixed quickly, then stopped working again as soon as the men had gone - so I left it: I was there for business and only wanted the news which I could check online.

Service: everyone was very attentive, but the lack of English was apparent when it took one man to come and see what the problem was with the TV and then to send for another to fix it. And when I telephone reception in the morning asking for a comb - they offered a hairdryer and when I said no, sent someone to my room. He then disappeared only to reappear 10 minutes later with a hairdryer! I didn't get the comb...

Breakfast: was arabic - lots of bread and cheese and pickled veg. Not really what I wanted but fresh nonetheless. As with most hotels here, it was self service with tea made in the cup using water from an urn (not really hot enough).

Would I stay here again: well, I tried the Red Rose, across the road the next time I came and would definitely recommend the Ocean over that: better service; more modern, brighter rooms; better breakfast, and cheaper. Although I really would like a gym!

So, my verdict: a reasonably priced hotel for a business trip - no frills but no hidden extras and willing staff.

Room Tip: higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our small group stayed here our first and last nights in Jordan. Our flight arrived late and our bags even later. The hotel very kindly served us a lovely buffet even though the restaurant was minutes from closing. The staff was very helpful. Our rooms were small but clean and comfortable. There was free wifi but not all rooms had reception. The neighborhood had a few shops though we didn't have much time for exploring. The food was good and plentiful for both dinner and breakfast. I would have no problem staying here again. For a 3 star hotel, it delivered everything that was expected.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is in the "golden area" of Amman where are located all the jewelry of the city. Rooms are comfortable and clean. People at the reception are helpful and try to help you as much as they can. Wifi is available even if every time you change the location (from room to lobby ) you need to change the connection. Breakfast is nothing special and mainly with local food. In the hotel there is a good restaurant to eat fish and meat for a medium-high price but quality is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were two girls traveling and this was our first hotel in Jordan. A shame the hotels in Amman are mostly located away from downtown since there was barely anything apart from jewelry shops around the hostel. You need to definitely take a cab to get places at night. The hotel is simple, with only a bar and a restaurant, but the rooms were clean. My only complaint would be the whole hotel is a bit dark and dingy, since I prefer a lot of light in buildings and rooms. The staff were very attentive and tried their best to accomodate us, although, apart from a couple people, they didn't speak English very well so we had to repeat our requests a few times. Food was average.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night, the room was small, the sheets were rather tired. The restaurant is very good and nice priced, the breakfast is good and plenty. Although we never would choose to visit Amman again, we probably stay again there

• Stayed March 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The staff make every effort to accommodate your needs. I was a female travelling alone and I felt very looked after and comfortable in this hotel. I didn't want a room with a mirror facing the bed and they showed me two other rooms to choose from. Nothing was a problem. Even the Marketing Manager came to check everything was ok. The rooms are very clean. Not spectacular decor but it is 3* and I would say it is certainly a top end 3* hotel. The food is lovely, I got a massive breakfast which was brought to my room. The hotel was also quiet and conveniently located. Highly recommend them

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!