“some cleaning would go a long way” 2 of 5 stars

You added Sky Hostel to your Saves list
Sky Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   34 Ben Yehuda St, Tel Aviv, Israel   |
brno
“some cleaning would go a long way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

It was not as horrible as other people say.. I mean I stayed at places far worse than this. If the management decided to give the rooms and especially beds some cleaning the hostel would be ok. Seriously, whats so hard about washing the linen and buying new blankets? Its a good idea to bring earplugs for the noisy street below. The members of staff we met were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Had read a lot before made a booking and finally went there. The opinions were not quite good, said the place was filthy, the staff rude and the place itself located far from the beach. Untrue. The staff was more than felpful, took great care and told how to organize time in this graet cosmopolitan city. The location was stunning, around 200m from the Mediterranean shore! One minus though, the rooms might have been clenaer, but unless you go there for staiyng in your room, you shouldn't bother. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Do not go there. We had a room where there was no real window and as the room is next to a big road, it was impossible to sleep the first night. (the 2nd night, we were so exhausted that we managed to sleep a little). I saw a huge cockroach. The bathroom is not clean and they did not made the beds... It is better to spend a few euros more and find a really nice hostel. The breakfast is bad : a bad coffe and an horrible cake ! Avoid this place !

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK THIS PLACE. It is the most horrible place I have ever stayed in my whole life, and I travel a lot. Where to start? Ok, dirty: the bathroom was covered in dust, meaning it was not washed at all. The bed, with dark red sheets, obviously to hide stains, could not hide all the blonde hair I found on it, on the pillows, under the pillows, basically everywhere. And the bugs on the bed were not nice as well. I asked to move to another room, they did move me to another room, that had THE SAME blonde hair everywhere! The place was smelling bad and old, all the furniture are really old, there are stains on the walls and ceiling, the curtains are also dark red, so thoughtful of them to try and match with the sheets, but there is no black out, so the room is really light in the morning. Plus, it's in front of the main avenue in Tel Aviv, and the windows are not double glazed. So noisy, day and night, I had to sleep with ear plugs all the time, but they were not enough. And a sleeping mask. The shower in the private room is in a funny position and there is no shower curtain so when you have a shower, the loo, the sink, the floor, and the bedroom floor get all wet and flooded. Again, so thoughtful, they leave a squeedgee for you to sort it out. You cannot smoke in the rooms and there is a sign in the reception saying it is forbidden to smoke, but you smell cigarrettes everywhere. Why? Because the recepcionists all smoke inside. And I paid 270 shekels for this, as it was really my last resort. If you have ANY other option, even if it costs a little bit more, take it. You have no idea how happy you will be.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

NEVER ever stay here- I should have looked at the other reviews. This place stinks.
The staff are on a death trip (premature death from cancers, emphysema, secondary smoke) and don't believe that secondary smoke is real (a typical Israeli-Palestinian attitude of "f--k everyone else - I only care about myself"). I was choking from secondary smoke induced asthma in their lobby while using my laptop. I only stayed one hour as the airport I was going to in Europe might be closing the next day due to the volcanic ash - and while the cig-junkie reception desk staffers told me they had made my reservation (inexplicably) for the following day (pathetic) and the room would otherwise be grabbed, they refused to refund my money or even a part of it. NEVER, ever stay at this hotel. Be smart - read the reviews of people who've stayed here. By law, hotels & restaurants in Israel are supposed to be smoke-free. You can do the right thing and write the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Touism via any Israeli Embassy website and ask them to pull the plug on this hotel's business license. Better yet - arrest the reception staff for assault: secondary smoke is a class A carcinogen in many states in the U.S. and also by U.S. Federal statute.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Petch Tikva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Ok, so lets start with the fact that i payed an extortionate 270 shekels for a night for me and and my partner. I say it was expensive, simply because i know of another small hotel which is 250 for the night- and is equisitely clean, astheticall pleasing and no way as horrible as sky hostel. The room we stayed in was quite simply depressing. I wouldnt even say it was clean, it was drap, horribly colored and delapidated looking. I just felt depressed there, to the extent that i was cautious of not touching all the furniture. For christs sake,. with all the poor buggers paying good money to stay in such a grubby little place, you would think they could give the rooms a lick of nice yellow or warming color paint. Seriously, i would advice no one to stay here at all. Also despite their was a tight curfew the next morning- as we had staff members knocking at our door, becuse we had slightly over-passed the 11am check-out time. it felt more like a prison-bording school- than a nice freindly get away.DONT GO TO SKY HOSTEL. In the most simple words ITS A ..... HOLE! I would recomend the seaside hotel which is only down the road- and just beautiful, and freindly in comparison. I would recomend SUB KUTCH MILEGA hostel- which is in Florentine- and only 200 shekels a night for a couple- with breakfast added. It has a far better youth hostel feel. and family atmosphere- with a pool room and restaurant and bar included. It at least doesnt make the pretense of being what its not.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I agree with the many other reviews that have been written about the poor customer service at this hostel. As one example, I requested to have cups available for guests to use. (There is a microwave, sink and refrigerator for guests, but apparently guests are supposed to supply their own mugs and dishes.) When I asked to bring a mug from the other hostel, MoMo's, which is owned by the same management and where Sky Hostel guests must very inconveniently go for breakfast, I was told that I could not.

Second, I paid in advance to stay in the dorm room for one week. The dorm sleeps eight but there were never more than two of us in the room. When I unexpectedly decided to spend a night in Jerusalem having already booked a week at Sky Hostel, I called at 8:15pm to cancel one night at Sky Hostel and extend my stay by one day. (Thus, there would be no loss to the hostel.) The lady on the phone was extremely rude and insisted that this would be "impossible." The following day, I spoke with the manager, Maya, who was also quite rude.

While I will be in Israel for 3 months and had hoped to stay at the Sky Hostel for many weeks, I have decided to change hostels due to the horrible customer service. I would not reccommend this hostel to anyone. Even the cost is unreasonable, especially considering that "breakfast" consists of a small cup of coffee and one packaged piece of cake. And, to get breakfast, guests must walk down the street to a different hostel (MoMos).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Sky Hostel? Share your experiences!