“Stay away” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 34 Tel Aviv B&B and Inns
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The place, I will not call it a hotel, is not for tourists. It looks like a place from a Hollywood horror movie that offers hourly male satisfaction services. The place is fitly, and this is a nice way of putting it. It is fully exhausted, with no room maintenance, and I am not talking about any kind of cleaning service, which indeed is obsolete. The ceiling in the room, I was in, had bloody spots all over it. The bad blankets smelled awful. But wait until early morning when cigaret's smoke, coming from the reception desk, spreads around to tickle your senses for a nice start of the day.

No noise isolation across the rooms bordering to each other, meaning all the rooms on a floor.

Do not order a wake up call, if you care about guests on your floor. If you do order a wake up call be aware that everybody on the floor will "benefit" from it.

Stay away from this place. For the price of this place you can stay in real hotel, with proper cleaning service and within the same area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Just had a night at The Ophir Hotel on Dizengoff. It's in a great location, in the middle of Tel Aviv, about 15-20min walk from HaShalom rail station. It was ideally located for me as I wanted to see the bauhaus center. The beach is a 10 min walk, as is karmel market.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful on my stay and were good to talk to. The rooms are clean and simple and good for the price. I was staying during the Shabat so quite a few things were closed but there Is still plenty happening on Dizengoff. The staff also helped me book a taxi to take me to the airport.

You get a proper breakfast too with an array of bread, spreads and drinks. Free wifi!

Overall recommended for making my stay in Tel Aviv very convenient!

Stayed October 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

the first room i was put in had the curtains placed in a way that they blocked the ac unit.. so choose, either privacy or air

the second "upgraded" room?
no bin
no chair
mismatched furniture
empty front desk
noise
soap and shampoo? worse than a 200 rupee hotel in india
shall i go on?

still, as a place to crash smack in the center of tel-aviv it is OK. clean and well airconditioned. arrive late, leave early, and you're fine

altogether so much wasted potential, and thus extremely overpriced. sad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This is the most horrible "hotel" it sure doesnt deserve that name an hostel would be ten times better , they are like 4 brother i dont know if they are the owners or 4 managers but they are all rude , one sayd to me the day i left its 450 isl ! When the days before was 350 i said no way ! Ill rather go to another place so he said ok you just have to pay what you paid before when i go downstairs with the 350 he was occupied and his brother attended me and he said no ! Its 450! I told him his brother who was right there told me i could pay 350 they started arguing in hebrew , they obviously are in disagrement so the guy who told me i could pay 350 say to me i probably understand wrong wich is a lie he said to me as clear as water i just had to pay what i paid before, i grab my things and left NO WAY it should charge over 100USD its a disgusting place the lobby its always full of his family with babies and stuff , its very dirty! I found an old condom box in one of the drawers , the bath is horrendous i felt i was gonna catch a fungus or something, i could have died in that place ! From how many hotels you can say that? I was sitting in the toilet and the air extracter felt down ! If it wasnt for the electic cords it would have hit me in the head ! / i can tell you it sould be a very bad way place to die ! The internet NEVER works/ they are in remodelations also so they were making noises the whole morning and one of the brothers was just salking around with a glass of wine and smoking / i had to put some eap music very loudly in kind of a peaceful protest for them to shut up! I have in in whole europe and most of north and south america and i never seen anything as horrible as this! This place is a ripoff! Never go there believe me i used to not read the reviews before but i learned my lesson the hard way this is the first review i make since its so bad ! If you need something as cheap as this go to another hotel or even an hostel would be nicer

• Stayed June 2013
Maastricht, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Due to a miscommunication with booking.com, we where forced on a short term to find a hotel, it became Ophir hotel Tel Aviv, I checked the website op this hotel, and at first hand, it lookt old, but clean. The opposite became the fact. We came in and the owner called Ophir was sitting in front of this hotel, drinking from a bottle of wine, asking: do you have a reservation? we came in and this men followed us in, all shaking (from drugs we heard later) his wife sitting behind the desk with a baby checked us in. we got a room on the street side, which gave us no sleep, because of the noise out there. We checked the room, and the sheets and bedding where all spotted with stains and torns, We could not sleep for the first 2 night, and after complaining we got a room on the backside of the hotel, located on the 2nd floor. This room was very dirty, from the bathroom to the ac on the wall, we cleaned this room by ourselves, because it was so dirty. We where forced to stay in this hotel for 8 days, so we did not had a choice. my friend got a hole in his t-shirt because of a screw sticking out of a chair, we told the owner Ophir, to pay for this, but he told us, to talk with the owner next day. (he was lying because Ophir is the owner himself!) We founded this out after a big fight next day with him. later that morning he sanded his employer Joel to our room, with a 20 dollar bill, to cover the damaged t-shirt. I have so much more to tell, but I hope the message is clear, stay away! The only nice guy working there is called Joel, a guy from Denmark, this men helped us a lot, because he was doing everything, to keep this hotel running, from making the poor breakfast to giving us clean bedding and towels, this made our stay, a bit more pleasant. please see picture of me cleaning the sink cupboard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Due to a miscommunication with another hotel I had to find a place to stay in the weekend of may 4 in tel aviv. It had to be around dizzengoff center because my family stayed in an apartment in that area.. It was the only place I could find and on the website the rooms didn't look that bad, so I decided to book a single room for two nights. I didnt check the room myself, i was so glad i found something i booked it right away. Well, it was the biggest mistake I made as a traveler ever! The room was hideous. They put me in some sort of dungeon without windows. I could hardly breathe there. I was so tired I tried to fall asleep, then I heard noise and I saw huge, huge cockroaches crawling around. One jumped from my bed! Then I felt itching and I discovered tiny crawling things in my sheets. I took my stuff and left at 2 am and left to a friend that lives outside tel aviv. The hotel is completely worn down and the hole place is a mess. And what they charged me was outrageous. When I complained the only thing they had to say is that should have checked the room before I took it. Well, I assumed the rooms were made for people, but in this hotel even animals woud not want to spend 5 minutes in it. Except cockroaches. I may be stupid not checking the room before paying for it.. But an honest businessman would never sell this. Do ourself a big favor and learn from my mistake, stay away from this place! Shalom

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having read several of the previous reviews I was somewhat hesitant when booking. The price however and location were attractive so i decided to book it.

The location on Dizengoff St is fantastic, walking distance to the beach was within 15 mins, right across from Dizengoff Center where you can buy freshly prepared food & cake on Friday. it's less than a 15 min walk to Carmel Market, Dizengoff Square, Rothchild Blvd, Allenby, etc

Thr Hotel lobby is small but I found most people there to be quite friendly & helpful. Kuddos to Yoel & Pinni who went out of their way to be helpful and accomodating about places to visit, transportation, preparing breakfast, etc

The room I was in (301) was not large but quite comfortable. It had a queen bed and appeared to have been renovated recently. I had a nice bathtub, shower, a 20" TV with many cable channels in Hebrew, English, French, German, Spanish, & Russian. I was particularly pleased to get FOX news. I noticed that much of the second floor was undergoing renos. When booking make sure to ask for a renovated room. Internet was also free, fast & reliable

Breakfast as well was beyond my expectation and unlike previously comments. They had a daily assortment of Israeli salads, cheeses,jams, juice & coffee. The best part is that you can have eggs freshly done to your taste. On the down side, the breakfast bar does not get replenished so if you are a late riser you'll get onlyleftovers, juice, bread & coffee but you can always get eggs. I enjoyed cooking them myself on a couple of occasions. Shortage of plates did happen but the staff quickly brought replacement once notified.

As well, although there is plenty of hot water, it may take a couple of minutes wait until it reaches the faucet from the roof but I was told it's typical in Israel.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed the accommodations and prices will probably escalate once renovations are completed.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for a room facing the back. Ask for a renovated room. Get down for breakfast...