“Best service in Tel Aviv but rooms need improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Hayarkon Street, Tel Aviv 63573, Israel   |
Ranked #40 of 88 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Los Angeles, California
“Best service in Tel Aviv but rooms need improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here for a week over passover and a couple of days after it.

THE GOOD

A) Service for once true 5 star service. Best in Tel Aviv. The staff are trained to be nice it seems unlike most other TLV hotels. We had a problem with noise, and they upgraded us from Club to Royal floor which made a massive difference and made our stay worthwhile.
B) Breakfast in the Royal lounge was awesome. No kids, no fighting to get what you need, they offer you coffee all the time and ask if you need anything. The breakfast selection is smaller than what is available downstairs, but it's the best of the breakfast anyway.
C) Royal floor bedrooms decorated rather nicely, and seemed much quieter than even 2 floors lower (better double glazing perhaps)?
D) location is great as you are not in the south, nor in the north of the beach area but right in the middle so practically all of tel aviv is an easy walk.

THE BAD:
A) the regular rooms (and even the club rooms) are maybe 3 star level at best. Where else in the world would a five star hotel still offer a tiny double bed (they call it queen but it's too small) and not king as the standard? Small TV too..
B) The beach opposite is being renovated and the beach is not accessible and the noise is awful. Not Sheraton's fault though, but prices should be put down to reflect this or a note should be put on the website so people know about it and can choose if it's an issue for them.
C) Club lounge was shut so everyone was 'upgraded' to Royal Lounge. It was not an upgrade as twice as many people there and in the evenings it was like a zoo, most nights we could not even get a chair let alone a table.
D) Royal lounge food throughout the day and evenings (apart from the lovely breakfast) was rubbish. A few nuts and olives, some carrot sticks, a couple of cheeses, some cake slices and occasionally if lucky some warm food which looked like yesterdays leftovers stuck together to make a dish (and which was never filled and only available for an hour or two in the day which was zoo time). The same thing day after day... the lounge food standard is probably the worst in Tel Aviv. And even a few days after Passover same thing, so it was not just Passover lounge food as the lounge manager tried to explain.

My suggestions to the management is keep up the service as it is what will make me possibly come back. BUT sort out the beds, get in kingsize everywhere, it's expected on all floors and not just the Royal Floors. Oh and please LISTEN TO ME... Visit the Carlton lounge and Hilton Lounge and InterContinental lounges and you will see why you will have to improve the food which should be properly available ALL day if you want repeat visitors to book the premium floors as there are now many more choices in Tel Aviv including a bunch of boutique hotels which are modern, have kingsize beds, and fresh food...

Will I come back next Passover? Possibly - but only if management promise me a free upgrade to the Royal Floor or if the management put in kingsize beds everywhere else. Otherwise, I will probably book the Intercontinental as I expect bed size and lounge food to be good so I feel at home away from home...

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if you like peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonTelAviv, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Kingdoz:
Thank you for your detailed feedback and taking the time to post your comments.
We are delighted to hear that the service at the Sheraton Tel Aviv was a true 5 star service and best in Tel Aviv. It was nice to hear that our staff were nice, breakfast in our Towers Lounge was awesome , and the bedroom was comfortable and decorated nicely.
We are excited to share some exciting happening with you. In early 2014 we are upgrading 4 Club floors including a new lounge to make your stay with us better than ever. So we invite you to join us after the renovations are complete and experience our rooms and lounge as never before.
We reviewed your comments regarding our food offerings in the lounge. Be assured that we have taken up your comments with our Chef who is working to improve in this area.
For business, leisure or a bit of both, we look forward to seeing you again.

With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Hebrew first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Staff serving us from check-in, restaurant & check out were pretty ok.
Laundry came in way early (wonder if they did clean it ;p )
Swimming pool was like a wading pool but hey, you got the beautiful beach!!!
They missed replacing our tissue paper box twice but always ensured we had clean towels.
If you stay at the Sheraton, please remember to stay at least after 10th level to really enjoy the sights.
Breakfast was typical but i always had 2 portions of Sashuka(tomato ketchup steamed eggs) which was simply simple but delicious.
We had access to the Club Tower lounge which allowed you to enjoy beautiful evening sights from the 18th level. Take that with a nice cold bottle of Red Star which they often seem to run out of and just enjoy the sunset.

My friend on the other hand had rough time getting to his room even though he was a Gold SPG member...he was real pissed with the counter staff for not able to give him a time frame of when he can get into the room. He was nearly late for his meeting as he needed a shower.
What got him riled up was that he asked again when he can get into his room, the counter staff merely told him, "I dont know, you got to ask housekeeping?"
He flared up.

Room Tip: choose the beds facing Jaffa or if you can directly to the beach...trust me, its way better than fac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear ghostrider201:
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with our restaurant staff as well as your check in and check out.
We reviewed your comments with regards to your friend's experience. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We do apologize for the service shortcomings of our counter staff. Be assured that we have taken up this matter with our Rooms Division Manager and the necessary remedial action has been taken.
For pleasure, business or a bit of both we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The staff are really friendly and the hotel is clean and comfortable, if lacking in character (a feature of many business hotels). An excellent choice of food for breakfast unless you are traveling over passover (like me) and then,for religious reasons, the choice becomes extremely limited. The hotel is right on the beach and fairly close to most things. I'd certainly recommend it for a business trip or a short trip with a family but maybe not as a romantic getaway. With the family, if you are staying in Tel Aviv for a few days it's a good choice as the hotel has a pool, is on the beach and breakfast is relaxing. But maybe if it's longer than three days it might be worth checking somewhere with a bit more personality?

Room Tip: Well, I like to be high up and overlooking the beach
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear RichTea547:
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that our staff are really friendly and the hotel is clean and comfortable.
For business, leisure or a bit of both we look forward to seeing you again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the hotel when I was Gold member of Starwood Preferred Guest program.
We were traveling as a family of 3 (myself, wife and 16yo daughter)

For ages I was promising my wife that we would go to Israel - unfortunately some events beyond my control were conspiring to prevent this visit for a couple of years. Finally, decision was made to travel there for 5 days during 2013 spring school break. Alas, when I started to look at the hotel availability I found room prices to be unbelievable, and after inquiring with my Israeli friend regarding the reason - I found out that this years school break coincides with passover week in Israel. Luckily enough, Sheraton Tel Aviv was still available to be booked on points, which I did.

It was not my first time staying at the Sheraton - it's selling point was always the fact it is directly at the seafront, staff is usually friendly, and the parking they have directly underneath the hotel is almost never full. It is walking distance to most of the locations at the promenade (from Jaffa to port) and they were always treated me well on the previous stays.

We arrived late in the evening when it was dark outside (you will understand why it is important later). At the check-in my gold status was recognized: from the choice of one hotel amenity I chose free internet and I was given a voucher for one free buffet breakfast. I was asked whether I prefer full sea view room at 5th floor or partial sea view on 11th. As in this hotel traffic can be easily heard at night I chose the room higher up.

Check-out was handled efficiently and late check-out until 2pm was granted. There were no mistakes in the bill.

After getting to the room biggest surprise awaited immediately after exiting to the balcony - entire beach was totally ruined with construction going on and heavy machinery strewn throughout. Silly but I didnt pay attention probably thinking that no work will be done at the passover. How wrong was I. Next day our 8am wake up call was beeping from diggers and trucks reversing and construction in full swing.
Now I understand that it is not a hotel fault that someone decided to ruin the beach - but I expect a notice on hotel web site informing guests that hotel is temporarily located at the construction site. My first business of the day was therefore to go visit reception to advise that current room is unacceptable and as there was no advance notice on the disaster happening at the beach the only acceptable solution would be a room from which construction is neir visible nor can be heard. To the hotel's credit they managed to locate a room (I believe there are only 2 rooms on each floor with the city view xx02 and xx22 if I am not mistaken) which are larger rooms therefore are popular. We were given one of these rooms and that closed the incident.

Room was large with plenty of space, included separate bath and the shower cubicle - its only disadvantage on normal days would be no sea view (it offers a view on Russian embassy across the street instead), but given construction on the beach it was lesser evil. All rooms (I stayed in) at this Sheraton also offer Nespresso capsule coffee machine, which produces very decent coffee. 2 bottles of water were provided daily free of charge and more water could be asked from the turndown service if needed (same for coffee capsules).

It is one of the few hotels in Israel where staff don't treat you as a nuisance, but really wants to help - so high marks on that. Reception people are fabulous, so is the concierge who is knowledgeable about the city and was helpful in securing restaurant reservations for us before we even arrived. Cleaning staff didn't speak very good English (most of them speak Russian though) but it was not a problem as one could usually reach an understanding.

Internet was fast and reliable without restrictions on how many devices one can connect.

This time around we only used Kum Kum restaurant for the breakfast - as Starwood Preferred Guests have breakfast discount (from usual $25/day) and our daughter was classified as child, we had quite reasonable price of USD 55 for 3 of us daily. Breakfast has very good spread of vegetables/salads/cold cuts, hot dishes, egg station and the desert table. They also serve freshly squeezed orange juice.

I know how difficult it is to satisfy both religious and non-religious guests over the Passover with conflicting requirements and restrictions imposed by the custom, but in Sheraton's case I believe they made a great job - much better than anything I ever seen - to explain to guests what is going to happen (e.g. no beer or bread), when, and what to do - in this effect a daily programme was available in every room with day to day instructions of what is going to happen - fantastic achievement. It is also worth noting that from 4 lifts available only one switches into Shabat mode, therefore lift traffic is not impacted that much.

I like the gym at Sheraton Tel Aviv - although it is quite compact, I never had the case of all treadmills occupied, air conditioning is always adequate and towels/water is plentiful.
Business center have 4 desktops and provide reasonable amount of daily internet browsing and printing for free. It also has quite interesting service where one can print to the business center printer from their room - although it is sometimes glitchy, it is great to have.
Swimming pool is located on the roof above the hotel entrance and as such is quite small. During the day various parts of it are also covered by the shade from hotel building (take farthest rows from the entrance if you want to be in the sun.
There is an ATM in the basement however given the fact it charges fixed fee and limit amount of withdrawals to ILS 300, I don't really recommend to use it - there is a lot of ATMs available in vicinity of the hotel in less than 10 minutes walking distance.
Hotel has 2 lounges - tower lounge and SPG lounge (where SPG plats have access). As I didn't have Platinum status this time, lounge was off-limits but on previous stays it provided reasonable spread of snacks and alcoholic drinks.

We rented a car for our stay therefore had to pay for hotel parking (which as I mentioned have large underground garage). Hotel is very easy to get to by car - one leaves airport towards Tel Aviv, then leaves at Arlazorov junction. Follow Arlozorov west (towards the sea) till it ends, turn left in front of Hilton and hotel will be in front of you shortly. if you follow these directions, hotel garage entrance will be on the right side of the hotel so once you pass roundabout in front of the hotel, join lane that is separated from the main street then turn left. Another option will be to take the taxi - I don't recommend to use the train as hotel is quite a distance from the railway station.

Bottom line - I stayed at this Sheraton many times before and it will be my preferred hotel again shall I need to visit Tel Aviv in the future.

If anyone has any questions related to this hotel I will be glad to answer (if I know the answer) - just ask.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
sheratonTelAviv, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear AX9465:
Thank you for the detailed and positive review of the Sheraton Tel Aviv.
We are happy to inform you that the municipality has completed the beach works and the newly renovated Tel Aviv beach is spectacular.
We are very happy to know that the Sheraton Tel Aviv will be your preferred hotel when you will visit Tel Aviv in the future.
KInd regards
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our family of five stayed here for 11 nights for Passover. We had connecting rooms which were spacious and the staff was very attentive. The front desk staff could use some help. They were not as knowledgeable as I would have liked. Just beware that the beach in front of the hotel is being "renovated"; there is noise early morning and you have to walk just a bit to reach the sand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonTelAviv, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear NelCalifornai:
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are happy to know that your two connecting rooms were spacious and the staff attentive.
Currently we have recruited new front office staff who are receiving ongoing training. We apologize that they were not as knowledgeable as you would have liked. We are working hard to improve in this area.
We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again in the near future.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very friendly and appreciative staff. All of the comforts of home and in a very classy atmosphere. The lobby is beautiful and what a view of the beach. This hotel made a difference being so far from home, I felt very comfortable. the concierge level is worth the upgrade.

Room Tip: Book Early
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
sheratonTelAviv, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear mikefaud1:
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We thank you for your compliments to our staff who you found friendly and appreciative. It was nice to hear that you felt comfortable. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again in your "home away from home" in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ok Im sat in my hotel room at the Sheraton writing this review at 3.45am with the sound of a full on rave about 200m away in the Renaissance hotel across the road who thought it would be a good idea to have an outisde party with a huge soundsystem. Fair enough its not the Sheratons fault there is a party for Independence day but I'm travelling here on business so would have been good to be informed before booking that I would be wasting a night lying awake listening to some right old rubbish reverberating against my poorly fitting window. Why is it that you can never seem to get a proper nights sleep in any hotel in Israel and then when you do fall asleep the maids wake you up at 7am to check if your in the room. Apart from this rant the room is very standard, not 5 star and the hotel is dated and very expensive.Bathroom is small but clean and the bed is comfy but I would never pay the standard rate of $310 to stay in this room personally and the added bonus of $20 for wifi and $30 for breakfast. Did have a decent meal from room service though so one plus point and have yet to savour the breakfast or the delights of the pool which hopefully I can fall asleep next to. Sod doing any work and I wont be coming back anytime soon.

Room Tip: It wouldnt be appropriate of me to make a statement here , Im sure there are good rooms and decent f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sheratonTelAviv, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Siamcoxy:
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.
We are sorry about the noise from the Renaissance hotel in which your sleep was disturbed, and we fully understand your frustrations. Unfortunately we do not know what other hotels are doing and cannot take responsiblity for their private parties.
You had a special rate on room only basis for a standard room, and there is a supplement of $30 breakfast and $20 for wifi.
We thank you again for your comments, and we hope to welcome you in the near future.
Kind regards,

Been to Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel? Share your experiences!