“A find in Tel Aviv's best location"” 5 of 5 stars

Prima City Hotel Tel Aviv
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Mapu St, Tel Aviv 63577, Israel   |
Ranked #48 of 88 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Jerusalem, Israel
“A find in Tel Aviv's best location"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

We live in Jerusalem, an hour away, but wanted to take advantage of Tel Aviv's beaches and big city atmosphere without spending as much as a vacation abroad. What a delightful find is the City Hotel, with its cheerful and helpful staff and superb location, near the beach, the promenade, and shopping streets. We'd booked a locally-advertised deal, but happened to see a suite on the way to our modest room and quickly upgrded for a slight additional fee. A highlight we hadn't considered was the availability of free bikes. We rode the bikes to the port for dinner in the evening, and on the following day visited Old Jaffa by bike, too. We liked never having to take our car out of the convenient parking lot. The breakfast is excellent. We went during the high season Jewish holiday of Sukkoth, and ate our breakfast in the sukkah.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Gil1608, General Manager at Prima City Hotel Tel Aviv, responded to this review, October 10, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the City Hotel,
It was a great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay. The City Hotel staff and myself will be happy to welcome you again in the near future.
Sincerley yours,
Gil Amram - City Hotel Manager
gil@cityhotel.co.il

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Wow - I am super late getting this review up, but I wanted to commend the City Hotel for helping make my vacation in Israel very enjoyable. I chose this hotel because it is part of a local Israeli chain and I wanted to try something different from the standard international hotel chains (Sheraton, Hilton, etc.). The hotel is located on a quiet side street but is just a few blocks away from the Mediterranean on one side, and major commercial streets (Ben Yehuda, Gordon, Dizengoff) on the other. It is right below the main "core" of Tel Aviv beachfront hotels, so the location can't be beat. The staff are friendly and very accommodating, especially Benny, who not only managed my early check-in and answered my thousand questions, but also found a very nice room at a good rate that met all of my demands: high floor, balcony, ocean view, and wi-fi (hey, this may be my only trip to Israel; why not live a little?). The room also had a nice closet with a small fridge, and windows that opened to let in fresh air. As is typical of Israeli hotels, the breakfast buffet was AMAZING and I never started my day hungry. Also really nice was the currency exchange at the front desk - good rates and extremely convenient. Communicating in English was never a problem and all of the staff were amazingly fluent (as I came to find out, most Israelis speak English extraordinarily well, which saved me from embarrassing myself too much with my awkward Hebrew).

The City Hotel is very basic, which is what I wanted but it may not be a good fit for everyone. If you want a swimming pool, onsite restaurant, concierge, room service, bell boy, shoeshine, etc., then one of the larger and more expensive hotels on the beach can provide all that (my friends stayed at the Carlton which offered every luxury). That said, the City Hotel was absolutely fine for me: the room was clean and spacious, the hotel was quiet, and the bed was comfortable. There was even a flat screen TV and a small sofa, along with a water kettle and a selection of instant coffee and tea in the room, which which a blessing on jet-lagged mornings. The only downsides were the weak wi-fi and rather low ceiling in the shower - I'm a tall guy and I almost bumped my head on the ceiling a couple of times. Also, you don't get individual soap, shampoo, etc., in the bathroom...there is an "all-in-one" soap dispenser so be sure to bring your own body products, if you prefer them.

I would definitely consider staying here on my next trip, but the Atlas chain also has a few other locations in various areas of Tel Aviv, as well as in Jerusalem and Eilat, and each one looked very unique. I think the City was closest to the beach, if that's what you're looking for, but the others seemed very well located.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We booked into the City Hotel for a 7 day sightseeing holiday.After researching many tel aviv hotels we decided on the City.We were not let down,from start to finnish our holiday was perfect ! We booked 4 tours with Pini,reception desk, we went from jerusalem to nazereth,haifa to galillee,massada to the dead sea.Perfect ! We used a company called beini harem,superb company.Anyway back to the hotel,Pini and his fellow staff were 1st class,nothing to much trouble,even advising us on restaurants in the area.
The rooms,although small were clean and tidy,our one on the 4th floor had a loverly view of the beach and the med.The restaurant served up a gigantic buffet breakfast,from croissants to fish,fruit to eggs, in fact there was plenty of everything.If there was one minus it would have been that they didnt cater for any other meals except for private bookings.Also a bar would have been nice,to have a cold maccabi beer on the front terrace,what a way to end the evening.
There are plenty of bars ,restaurants in the surrounding area,hayharkon st and ben yehuda st to name two.Would i recommend the City Hotel?,yes i certainly would.Keep up the good work,and perhaps in the future we might return to sample the good hospitality srved up by the Atlas Group of hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I stayed 6 days at City Hotel in Tel Aviv; It is located in a small street, rehov Mapu; almost on the seeside and at the heart of the city (freshmann - Hayarkon).
The rate, which may vary upon season, was more than reasonable for given the period (summer) and the standard; rooms are confortable and very quite. The place is clean, and the staff very professional.
Small useful services such as free beach towels are welcome.
The hotel is Kosher but I didn't have the opportunity to attend shabbat meals.
Typical israeli breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Very nice hotel.
The location is fantastic.
The staff is very friendly
The rooms are modern and clean.
I enjoyed my stay - simple and good.
Great value for money

• Stayed August 2010
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

we stayed one week ate the city hotel
is was great.
the rooms are modern with free wi-fi, the staff is kind and helpful.
breakfast was fresh and good.
the location : 1 moment from the beach, and from the shopping area.
enjoy your saty...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I was the organizer of a grad-trip to Israel for a very international group (ages 28-31).
I was happy with our choice of hotel and so was the rest of the group: staff was very friendly and helpful, hotel was newly renovated, pleasant and clean. The best part about the hotel is its location though; cafés, bars, clubs and of course the beach – are all a minute away. I would definitely recommend to friends!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Prima City Hotel Tel Aviv? Share your experiences!