“Great yet expensive hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Carlton Tel Aviv
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Eli'ezer Peri Street, Tel Aviv 63573, Israel   |
Ranked #25 of 85 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Amsterdam
“Great yet expensive hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The location of this five-star hotel is brilliant. The extensive kosher breakfast is served on the beach (don't worry, you get to choose between sitting in- or outside). There is a nicely sized, yet not heated rooftop pool that offers a great view of the sunset (ask the hotel staff to permit you entry to the rooftop after 6pm, since they close the door after). The view from the seaside rooms is breathtaking, but given the high price, the interior of the rooms could be a little nicer. There was some mould in the shower and some of the furniture looked a little damaged.

Room Tip: Go for the seaside rooms for an exquisite view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jeremy S, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Tel Aviv, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Martijn K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, and we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are constantly updating our facilities, and your comments regarding the room have been passed on to the relevant department. With the start of the summer season, the rooftop is now open until late at night for the enjoyment of our guests.

We very much hope to see you again amongst our guests in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went to celebrate out anniversary without the kids ;)
I chose the hotel according to TripAdvisor's recommendations and got the lowest rate.
We were told upon arrival that we were upgraded and got a room on the 12th floor, with great view and a luxurious atmosphere.
The hotel is located in the center of the city, nearby Tel Aviv marina and the hotel's pool is located on the roof.
It's obvious the the hotel went through a bug renovation - the building itself is not as beautiful but the rooms and the interior design is very nice and welcoming.
We had a lovely vacation!

Room Tip: Add extra and enjoy a room with the sea view. It's worth it :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeremy S, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Tel Aviv, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Ronen B,

We are delighted that you chose the Carlton Tel Aviv to celebrate your anniversary, and were very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future!
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I love Israel and Tel Aviv and would highly encourage folks to try other properties nearby with better amenities. This is one of the worst hotels I've been in given its 280/night price (both internationally and in Tel Aviv):

-Requested king bed, was offered two twins or a smaller queen room
-"City" view is of a disgusting abandoned building
-Disgusting bathrooms 1: mold is growing in the shower
-Disgusting bathrooms 2: the toilet leaks at the base and the water closet floor is molding and smells like urine
-Disgusting bathrooms 3: the shower leaks into the room and the carpet stays consistently damp and smells like mildew
-It took 3 separate calls/attempts to get the door between us and the neighboring room to get locked (inexcusable, we have valuables in our room)
-Maid service removed a half-used toilet paper roll (and left none in the room... that was not a fun situation)
-The mirror in the room was installed crooked
-No cordless (or bedside) phone in-room
-Low bathroom lighting (barely enough to shave, can't imagine if I had to put make-up on)
-No pricing menu for mini-bar
-No free bottled water in-room
-No ice bucks/machines on each floor (you must call for ice, which is delivered in a bucket that sweats, and without a cloth underneath)
-Wood furniture is chipped
-No bedside plugs for phones/electronics
-No corkscrew in-room (yet mini-bar has a bottle of wine with a cork)
-No bathroom counter space (result of the extreme oversize vessel sink)
-Non-smoking floor has ashtrays at the elevators
-Limited late-night room service
-Canned fruit at the breakfast buffet
-Bizarre breakfast set-up (requires outdoor walk)
-Only one feather pillow was originally part of the bedding, had to call to obtain a second
-The bedding is not up to modern "5-star" hotel standards (comforter isn't down and the bed is hard)
-You must pay for Internet speeds over 2Mbps (this is not clear when you're promised "free WiFi")
-You must pay $10 USD/per person for use of a gym which is smaller than most apartment gyms (inexcusably small and limited for a 5-star hotel which is then charging a per day use)
-Groups which have pre-paid are not elligible to accrue miles through their airline partner program (irritating)
-3 elevators for an over 250-key property is insufficient and you will find yourself waiting often for 5-10 minutes for a lift

Very much looking forward to our checkout. I will say the staff are very pleasant, but they don't make up for a property that's in serious need of upgrades, renovations and amenities given its price and stated reputation.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear scollin1983,

We were very sorry to learn of your disappointment during your recent stay with us. The issues that you outlined are certainly not typical of our property and we apologise for any inconvenience that was caused to you.

Feedback from our guests is the most effective tool that we have for improving our service and ensuring that our future guests enjoy a wonderful stay with us. All of your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for further action. I understand that our Guest Relations team met with you personally during your stay to further discuss these issues and your experience with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Not quite as small as boutique, not as large as the industrial monster hotel chains, this hotel, recently renovated offers the best overall experience in Tel-Aviv. Unbeatable location, terrific amenities and service that makes a point to be nothing short of flawless. The beach facing rooms are breath taking and the roof top pool gets top contender for one of the most spectacular serene sights in Israel. I have tried them all - the Dan, the Intercontinental, the Sheraton, the Hilton and none makes me as happy to wake up in the morning as this one.
if you can - opt for a club room with access to the 14th floor lounge. Much more than what lounges typically provide - this is a destination in itself. You will end up spending mornings and afternoons there with friends and family. Its that nice.
Enough said.

Room Tip: All rooms have good views but if you can go for full beach front room (xx06-12).
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Roy S,

It was our pleasure to host you at the Carlton Tel Aviv during your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to seeing you amongst our guests in the future.
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

How do I begin to describe the experience of staying at Carlton Hotel in Tel Aviv? The front desk staff (especially the British manager in Kippah) are extremely helpful and accommodating. The rooms are gorgeous, and the fresh roses and chocolates greatly appreciated! Loved the rooftop pool, and taking in the breathtaking view of Tel Aviv. The breakfast restaurant is right on the Mediterranean Sea, and you can sit outside on a patio to fully enjoy it. My companions liked the sushi restaurant. I would highly recommend this hotel. You can walk to port, Jaffa, Disengoff shopping, and countless restaurants. Can't wait to return to Tel Aviv and Carlton Hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sarah M,

Thank you for staying with us at the Carlton Tel Aviv, and for posting your review.

We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back once again to the hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights during a business trip. I read about the "we've got your back" hotel policy and was looking forward to it.

When I checked in, they asked me to take a seat as the manager wanted to meet me (?). They gave me a drink and some Baklava and I waited about 5 minutes. To be honest I just wanted to go to my room after a long flight, but ok... so out comes the manager and just asked me to sign something, gave me my key and explained where the main facilities were. He walked me to my room but didn't help with my luggage.

The location is alright, it's walking distance to Ben Yehuda and Dizengoff, and obviously the beach is a few steps away. However, the immediate vicinity of the hotel is not nice because there's like an underground roundabout and road, so it's all dark, desolate corridors and bridges around the hotel before you reach the beach. I didn't feel unsafe but it's certainly unsightly.

The food was OK. Veggies were clearly fresh and salads made fresh too, but a lot of the fruit was tinned. I had room service dinner that night and I had a burger, pretty average and most things were just lukewarm. The menu is slightly confusing with different things served at different hours on certain days only. I also had breakfast at the restaurant, which is not IN the hotel but across a walkway. Far enough to get wet when it rained, which I didn't appreciate. They give you umbrellas, but it's inconvenient because if I want to go out for breakfast, I'd rather go to a cheaper, tastier place. The food choice was fairly poor, with mainly boxed/premade things like cold bread that wasn't baked there, cereals, Baklava that was quite dry, tinned fruit, packed yoghurts... only the veggies, dairy products and egg station were fresh. No scrambled eggs or basic breakfast items available so unfortunately I mainly had bread-based solids for food and some fruit.

The room: a bit of a disappointment. The manager said "oh we're upgrading you to the Royal floor", and when I asked, he said the difference was "the rooms are just nicer". My room was pretty average sized, so I would have hated the more basic room then. The decor was very simple and slightly odd, with wooden finishings but also a metal/glass desk, a modern chair, old bedside tables, horrible closet doors and no wall decorations. It was just strange, like a small furniture shop. You get lots of toiletries, but you better not iron there because the ironing board was a mini-baby version of a normal one, with 10in/25cm legs so it's too small overall. There is free wifi, but it's fairly slow and you can pay more for nowadays-speed wifi. There was a balcony which wasn't huge but just enough for 1 to sit. The view was nice of the taller buildings in the background, but horrid of the houses across the road. The lighting in the room is odd, there's switches for this and that, and it's either white LED light or similar things.

The service was probably what let me down the most. I expected the "we've got your back thing", but I can tell you that in my 4 days there, not a SINGLE employee ever smiled at me or said good morning or anything. They all looked miserable, from the early morning guy at the lobby who only replied to questions, to the elderly waiter in the restaurant with really cold manners and rather intrusive. Sure, they gave me an umbrella, because I asked, brought milk to my breakfast because I asked (in a mug, and susprised that I was having milk and not coffee), or got me a taxi after I asked, but with that rather poor delivery, I felt that my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Will I stay there again? I pondered on this one, but I decided not. For the view, the food, location and service, I'd rather stick to other hotels along the beach that I trust as a brand and know what to expect. I wish these guys well though!

Room Tip: Face the sea if you can - the city view is not a nice view in the foreground.
Dear Jonathan A,

Thank you for staying with us at the Carlton Tel Aviv. We were very sorry to learn that your stay was disappointing and appreciate the feedback which is our primary tool for improving our service to our guests in the future. All of your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments for their review.

At the Carlton Tel Aviv we aim to ensure that our guests feel at home during their stay with us, and we were disappointed that you did not receive this impression from our staff.

We would be delighted if you return to stay with us in the future, to enjoy a more usual Carlton experience.
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The entire staff was incredibly helpful and went above and beyond where most other hotels go. Greeted with complimentary juice, and a great help booking tours, the front desk and concierge was very accommodating and friendly. I love the location, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't have breakfast there the first two days--the breakfast is fantastic and a wonderful start to the day just off the beach. I stayed here for business and personal travel combined into one trip, and would definitely come back again.

Dear Ben D,

It was our pleasure to host you at the Carlton Tel Aviv during your recent visit to Israel, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Customer satisfaction and service to our guests is our top priority, and we were very pleased to learn that our efforts in this regard are noted and appreciated by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not-too-distant future.

Been to Carlton Tel Aviv? Share your experiences!