“Typical dated hotel chain property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #54 of 85 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Typical dated hotel chain property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

The Renaissance is very conveniently located near where many hotels are in Tel Aviv along the beach, with direct access. I should note I paid for my 2 night stay with Marriott points.

The property was filled with American tourists, and seems a popular destination for Americans.

The staff at the property front desk (while fairly slow) are very friendly and eager to help - check in can take an awfully long time (not that unusual in Israel). The property itself is clean but very dated - it certainly could use an update to bring it out of the early 1990's, but it was what I was expecting.

Arrived to find on day 2 that breakfast was not included in my free room rate- I found this somewhat disconcerting, given I had stayed 2 nights up the street at the Hilton and paid with points, and got breakfast for two for free. The only thing I could determine was that my status with Hilton is Diamond, while I only have silver with Marriott.

The restaurant in the hotel is extermely overpriced and not very good - you can find better options along the beach where the food is very good and inexpensive.

Basically, nothing really stands out as remarkable about this property other than the convenient location. I would recommend the Hilton instead.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed here two nights in June, and were very happy. The service was the best of any hotel I have been to in Israel. When we arrived management provided us with a nice fruit basket. We had been on planes and in airports for almost twenty four hours, and took showers upon arrival. We called down to the front desk for fresh towels, which arrived in minutes. After getting dressed we went out for a stroll along the beach (kind of dirty - Tel Aviv should be ashamed) and then dinner in town. We were surprised to find that housekeeping had been in and refreshed our room, leaving another set of towels, soaps and other amenities, along with the traditional chocolates and turn down.

Breakfast was exceptionally good. The pancakes were a real surprise, and very tasty. There was an impressive variety of cheeses, breads, pastries and salads, as well as a made to order egg station.

The front desk crew was very helpful.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed here 9 nights. Of all the hotels in Tel Aviv, this is one of the few that is actually located on the beach, while most are across a busy street with cross walks that no one stops for. The hotel is old, but nicely air conditioned. The upstairs executive lounge has light appetizers, and not much of a selection, and children under 18 are not allowed. Compared to the Sheraton next door, this lounge was really poor! Rooms were very small and tight for a Marriott. Yes, every room has a view. Breakfast was fine, with a large selection and omellete station. Pancakes were impressive for this part of the world, as most pancakes outside the US are pathetic. Staff were very friendly, greeting me everyday coming in and going out. Generally speaking, no one ques for anything in Israel, including the front desk. Yet the receptionists working there are helpful, they just try and help everyone who mobs the front desk at the same time.

The beach, while usually with lots of people, was incredibly rife with small pieces of trash (including cigarrette buds). Yes, trash (ie cups and plastic bags) in the ocean too. I don't think they clean that beach (with sand sifters or paid employees) all that often. Still, the ocean had fish and jelly fish too (but there was a warning out for lightly stinging jelly fish). So not too dirty for the animal life, I imagine?

We took tours right from the hotel, but independently owned and operated tours. Prices for an all day tour run about $80-90 per person. Business class were better, since the number of tourists were smaller. We found a personal guide for Jerusalem who was fantastic, but couldn't provide transportation. Our gain, since it was much cheaper to rent a car and deal with the traffic and have a personal guide, vice the tour company!

The indoor pool is small. There is a 50 meter salt water outdoor pool almost right next to the hotel (3 min walk), which charges about $15 per person to enter. The gym is fine, with a couple of electric bikes and illypticals, and a stationary weights with bench press. The massuse is right in the gym.

We stayed there because of the Marriott brand, and it was alright--nothing spectacular and a little on lighter side of what you would expect at a Marriott. I would stay there again, but know there are some much nicer properties out there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed here 4 nights (5 days) in June. We selected it because it's a Marriot and we were able to get a couple nights free. It's pricey - $240 which doesn't include breakfast - but right on the beach and in the best location on the promenade for beach restaurants, walking, swimming and people-watching. Every room has a view of the Mediterannean - ours also faced the old city of Jaffa - and have small balconies with two chairs. We sat out every day and evening drinking tea, reading, watching people. Our rooms was very comfortable with all the amenities although small - it was like a vernada cabin on a ship. This is a big hotel, near the Hilton and Sheraton, with lots of comfortable seating in the main floor lounge, looking out over the beach (Tel Aviv has the most beautiful and clean sand beaches I've ever seen on the Mediterannean), has great work-out and steam rooms and is within easy walking distance of Gizendoff St., Ben Yehuda and other shopping areas. The downsides: indoor pool, which I hate and had way too much cholorine, and very pricey food and drinks. We ate out. There's not that much to do in Tel Aviv - the beach is the main attraction and it was great for winding down after two weeks of siteseeing in Jordan and Israel. A must do: rent bicycles for $15 fro all day and ride the entire length of the promenade (about 3 miles) and go all the way around Jaffa - you'll be rewarded by miles of beaufitul, quiet bike paths winding through beautiful parks and empty Mediterannean beaches.

Roslyn Heights, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

The renaissance is a renovated Ramada.It is better located than the Sheraton. You can walk out directly to the beach. Lounges cost a few dollars. Saturday at the beach is very loud lots of cigarettes and alcohol on the beach. Other days the beach is tourist oriented. The rooms and bath are okay . Tel Aviv is a busy city. Getting around by car is a challenge-poor directions and many motorcycles darting in and out. overnight parking is available for $13 or $20. Try to get gps if driving.

Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I recently stayed at the Marriott - Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel and had an awful experience. If it didn't say Marriott inside the hotel I would've assumed I arrived at Motel 6. I frequently stay at Marriott in the US so when I traveled I though I could trust Marriott International to offer me a good stay. Was I wrong. After that experience I will never stay at a Marriott again. I made my reservation online with Orbitz and when I arrived at the hotel the rude person behind the desk (named Sivan) said she couldn't find my reservation. IT TOOK HER 25 MINUTES TO LOCATE IT! the whole time she was giving me attitude like I was responsible for he incompetence. In the middle of the booking process she turned to her colleagues and said in Hebrew: "This guy is really annoying me". How is this acceptable, what kind of customer service is this. Just because I live in the US doesn't mean I'm not fluent in other languages, I understood every word. Is Marriott even supervising the people that work there? what kind of hotel is it where you pay $500 for two nights and you're the one "annoying" the desk person. The room we got (for two people - not a couple) was small and we got two children sized bed.As if that wasn't enough things just got worse. In order to get beach towels each guest gets a a towel card which you give the attendant to get a beach towel and upon it's return you get the card back. You must check out with this card or you will get charged. Next day we went to the beach and got towels. When we returned the beach towel desk was already closed, so we thought "ok we'll return it tomorrow". We left the towels in our room and went to eat dinner. When we returned there was a breakfast menu for the morning on our beds and the 2 towels were gone!!! not our room towels (which you can tell the difference) the beach towels! We go down to the front desk - furious! the guy says he'll send 2 beach towels up so we dont get charged. 30 minutes later a cleaning guy shows up with REGULAR towels not beach towels!!!!
Things just kept getting worse and worse. In the morning of the checkout I go to check out and instead of just checking out (cause my reservation was paid in full to Orbitz) Yaron at the front desk claims that "Orbitz didn't send them payment yet and he's going to charge my credit card" As if that's my problem!
Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed over Passover and were impressed by the terrific locaton - right on the beach. The staff tried hard but could do with much better training and management, unusual for a Marriott. We were told on several occasions on Shabbat and over the holiday that "black coffee" wasn't available, though Nescafe was. On pressing further, we found that filter coffee was on tap; "ice coffee" (on the menu) was not available on shabbat, thgugh "ice coffee with ice cream" was; we asked for it, "without the icecream" and it miraculously appeared. The breakfasts are magnificent with as much choice as you can find anywhere in Israel. However, when we asked if there was any cottage cheese (which was usually on the buffet) we wre met by a curt and brusque "No!" However, the room - facing Jaffa - was fine, very clean and well fitted and the bed was very comfortable, with six pillows between the two of us. Maid service was, however, erratic; on one morning the room was made up by 8.30; the next day, it wasn't made up by 15.30, to my discomfort, as I wanted to show the room to my sister-in-law, who lives in Israel, The sun terrace overlooking the beach makes a great place to read in comfot and shade, with a limited menu available througout the day. All in all, we had an enjoyable stay and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel? Share your experiences!