“Good but overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 85 Hotels in Tel Aviv
London
“Good but overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the David Intercontinental after reading other reviews but sadly it didn't really live to my expectations. It's certainly a newer hotel than the Hilton- where we've stayed before- so that the pool, rooms and amenities are newer and probably better. The pool is nice and the sun bed area is quite spacious, but it's located over a very busy road so that the traffic noise and smells are a real downer. The food at the pool is pretty awful- greasy, unimaginative fast food at best.
Two things upset me in particular: firstly, the hotel charges $15 a day for internet- and that's per device! We had phones and laptops galore and they wouldn't even consider giving us a deal. We eventually bought it for one laptop but the connection was so slow, it was faster to tap into free internet from somewhere else.
Second gripe is breakfast. They charge $20 for breakfast and on a normal day the buffet choice is fair- not as good as described by others, but ok. On Shabbat, though one is still charged the same amount but the food is old and stale and the coffee they serve is literally undrinkable. This is a big international hotel and one would have thought that some concessions would be made for non religious customers, even if that means leaving a nespresso machine on the terrace. As it was, we were forced to pay for breakfast twice and go and find coffee and fresher food in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
naamabd, Guest Relations at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi maria98, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We always value o comments from our guests.We are very happy to see that overall you had a pleasant. However, we regret to learn that your stay was not up to your expectations. You will be happy to hear that this July all Gold and Platinum loyalty members will receive free Wifi and staring in 2014 all guests will have free Wifi in the hotel. We also have free I-Pads in our lobby for our guests to use. In reference to our breakfast, it is true that on Shabbat mornings according to the Jewish Kosher restrictions we are unable to offer all of our hot meals that are featured throughout the week; however, we do our best to offer as much as we able to. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Hebrew first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Check in experience - 1/10
Took them 20 min to check me in - trainees and untrained staff all over the place

Lobby bar experience 1/10
To be recognized as a guest is already impressing. You can easily wait 30-45 min to have a trainee or "supervisor" in front of you who dont even know what they have in the menu...

Restaurant - 1/10 we were sitting around 20 min, before the 1st waiter saw us...

Pool bar was closed. Pool was dirty and unorganized. Most of the staff everywhere only speaks hebrew and french!!!! I had even the feeling that their hebrew was very basic!

Had a chat with many guests and they were all shocked what happened to this property, after having wonderful stays at this hotel.

How can a 5star hotel save money on staff and trainings - if the hotel is packed with guests?

For sure - the last time here! We will not support this guest treatment and I will surely involve Intercontinetal hotels group into this.

• Stayed May 2013
naamabd, Guest Relations at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Traveld55,

Thank you for you comments and the 5 stars on our unique location.
We would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.
We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We would like to look into the details of your review and contact you personally in order to follow up with the raised issues. Please feel free to e-mail me at your earliest convenience and for helping improve our services.We hope to welcome you back soon in order to rectify these events.

Gilya Bisk
Guest Relations
David InterContinental Hotel
Tlvha.gr@ihg.com
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel looks impressive, it has beautiful and large rooms.
Excellent breakfast and The pool is very nice

Its to bad the service is not good
Starting from the moment we pas through the reception
Until the moment when we had to call 5 times for some towels

Whenever we tried to speak with room service
Those who answered sounded impatient and wanted to end the call as soon as possible

I will not stay at this hotel again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi andy s, thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are glad to see that you liked our beds and breakfast as they are a highlight of our hotel.
We would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. We hope you give us the opportunity to show you our 5 star service in the future.
Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The David is a bright, modern hotel. It is in a terrific location across the street from the beach and walking distance to Jaffa and Rothschild Blvd. There is a lovely pool area. The breakfast is great. The staff were polite and helpful. The concierge were excellent. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
naamabd, Guest Relations at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hi RoxyL, thank you for commenting on our hotel. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our tourist friendly location. Our staff are our greatest assets as they always do their utmost best to ensure our guests are comfortable and happy. We hope to welcome you back soon!
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

To be honest, I have yet to find a good hotel that I felt impressed in Israel. Their hospitality industry does not impress me even after my 3rd trip. That maybe due to the fact that I have traveled and stayed at various hotels throughout the world and experienced some great hotels. Having said that, let’s dive into a review of David Intercontinental hotel.

Location – This hotel is on the beach side of Tel Aviv where many hotels are available so location wise, it is a Par or better in my opinion. To some people, this is important. To me, it is not. It is right next to Dan Panorama hotel which I’ve stayed the last time. There are markets and nearby attractions that are within walking distance which may be a plus for some folks.

Hotel – The hotel is old but it has been attempted to kept up to date. You won’t find anything impressive or grandeur about the place but I’ve seen a lot worse in many places so I suppose that is a good thing. Hotel staff seems okay but nothing to write about.

Lobby – The lobby is on third floor and several restaurants and shops as well as concierge help desk, Avis rental car and convenience store. I did not spend much time at the lobby or utilization of concierge for that matter. Some people use them effectively and I do on certain places but this was not one of those places.

Parking – Parking is better than the most hotels in Tel Aviv where space is a problem. The self parking garage is under the hotel and the entrance is somewhat confusing if you are in for the first time. The self park fee is $12 USD and if you are staying more than several days, it is somewhat annoying that if you want to charge the fee to the room. You have to intercom the guest relations to charge it to your room. I rather have pass card or validated stub method. Otherwise, use a parking machine before getting to your car.

Room – As a part of InterContinental ambassador, I was told that I was upgraded from my normal room. Since I have not seen what normal room looks like, not sure what I got was better than the other. I think it was the view as I could see the beach from my room which had a very large window wall to wall style glass. The bed comfort was decent but pillows are poor condition in my opinion. It is just too old and lost lushness regardless of which one I choose. The one chair available other than the desk chair was not comfortable as there is no ottoman other than a small glass table.

Bathroom – It needs update as marble is very dull and very old style. The door bottom paint has worn off due to water splashing to the bathroom door when not fully closed during shower. I absolutely hate the half glass partition on the tub which is very narrow by the way. This is very popular style in Israel for the reason I do not know. The shower head is fixed angle due to the fact that glass partition is covered only half so you have to move your body rather than move the shower head to suit you. The narrowness of the tub bothered me a lot as it is narrower than my shoulder width. It really needs a shower booth. Toiletries are above average due to the fact the Dead sea minerals are plentiful and many of soap and lotion comes from that area. Marble floor was old and if I step into some of them, I could feel it was being lifted. Not impressive Intercontinental hotel for sure.

Food – I have had ordered some food during Shabbat and it was average at best. Dan Panorama actually had better food than Intercontinental for sure. After ordering three times during Shabbat and once during normal day, I concluded that restaurant was not to my liking. Find someplace else.

Pool – Since many sunbather would use pool, I did try once. It has nice poor area and many folks linger around here all day long

Office productivity – Desk and chair is average. There are different power outlet to fit your prong style but all 220V so make sure it support the universal voltage. Internet is charged and for the performance point a view, it is a total rip-off. Wireless connection is utterly slow and takes forever to download anything. I find the internet is actually better at the bus station across the street from WiFi enabled bus which I used several times during my stay. For 3 days- $35 USD and 5 days- $50. Daily is $15. This should be free for guests in my opinion. Hotel is trying to make a few bucks here and there. Pathetic…

Overall impression – Another disappointing hotel in Israel. For the value, they really need to improve overall hotel experience. Just because they think they should change that much money does not mean hotel price is justified even in holy land. Reservation was not a great experience either as hotel was sold out on the date I tried to check-in and even thought I contacted their reservation manager prior to 72 hour room guarantee; nothing. What about fresh water every day for Ambassador member? During 13 days of my stay, I’ve got total of 3 bottles. Their housekeeping comes too late for turndown service which is annoying so around 8PM, I usually put up a “do not disturb” sign on the door. As you can see from my review, I am not impressed with this particular Intercontinental hotel.

Room Tip: Don't count on it. I have a Platinum Ambassador status and don't mean anything here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
naamabd, Guest Relations at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hi jediplay, thank you for your detailed review. We are glad to see that our lactation received 5 stars from your review. We are proud of our unique location, close to many Tel Aviv attractions. We value your comments and will report your concerns to the necessary departments. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, which will allow us to make your stay as best as it can be.

Feel free to contact us in you have any questions or necessities

Sincerely ,
Gilya Bisk
Guest Relations
David InterContinental Hotel
Tlvha.gr@ihg.com
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel.
Everything was what we thought it would be......vv good
Rooms are very comfortable and the breakfasts are plentiful
Staff were very accomadating
Near Jaffa and the Tel Aviv beach
Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Royshot, we appreciate you taking the time to writing this response. Our breakfast is very lavish indeed; we are glad you enjoyed it. Comments on our staff are always very much appreciated, since they are always trying to go above and beyond for our guests. We are glad to have succeeded in making your stay memorable and enjoyable! On your next stay be sure to check out our brand new Spa and Gym Center!
London, UK/Detroit, MI, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have stayed in a variety of properties in Tel Aviv and the Intercontinental is the best by far. I would not call it a five star hotel, though it a "solid" four star hotel. I will 100% be staying here again. Some specifics:

Condition – The hotel itself is old, but it has been kept up-to-date. I was upgraded to an executive room, which was large and offered fantastic views of the beach / waterfront. There was a nice desk for working, ample seating room and the bathroom was quite large. The beds were very comfortable as well. The room was clean and the air conditioning worked great.

Location – Any Tel Aviv hotel along the beach is a "safe bet" in terms of location. This property is not directly on the beach, but it is only a short walk away. It is also close to many restaurants, bars, etc.

Staff – The staff I interacted with were polite and helpful. No complaints.

Other thoughts – I rented a car, which I valeted without any problem. I also ordered room service on one occasion...the food was delivered quickly, warm and tasted pretty good. Drinks at the bar are overpriced, but the atmosphere is nice (I sat outside).

I have stayed at the Tel Aviv Renaissance and Crowne Plaza before (both down the road and on the beach); however, they fail to live up to the high standards of the Intercontinental. It is worth the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hi dfisch891, thank you for writing a very honest and detailed response. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your encounters with many of our departments. Our outside deck is a favorite spot for many of our guest, especially during the beautiful Tel Aviv sun set. We are happy to have you as one of our loyal customers and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to InterContinental David Tel Aviv? Share your experiences!