“Tours were great overall but depends on your guide!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Berkeley, California
“Tours were great overall but depends on your guide!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I took several tours with RentAGuide: Jerusalem & Bethlehem tour, Masada & Dead Sea tour, and Nazareth & Galilee tour. Overall the tours were wonderful. Sylvia is by far the best tour guide I had (so knowledgeable and kind). Mali was also a very knowledgeable guide, but she set a bad precedent when a member of the group wandered off and then she sent other members of the group to find him; as a result, that same person and others began wandering off more often, because they knew we would wait for them, and we ended up spending a lot more time waiting for people than we should have. I'm glad I got to go to Bethlehem, but that part of the tour (with a Palestinian guide) was much less professionally run, and we only ended up seeing a single thing there (Church of the Nativity) before being taken to their overpriced souvenir shop. Which brings me to another point... every tour is going to take you to an overpriced souvenir shop. It's nice to look around, because sometimes you will find something you haven't been able to find during your own shopping excursions, but the stuff is really overpriced compared to what you can find in Jerusalem's Old City markets.

Netanya, Israel
“Tour of Jerusalem old city and new”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Renta a guide was organised for me by my company and I did not know what to expect on my trip of Jerusalem old and new town. We were collected by our guide Sylvia who put everyone at ease immediately,Sylvia's knowledge is fantastic and we were informed All about what we were about to see ,then given detailed information and timings so we stayed on track. Sylvia also made sure that everyone's questions were answered and that the whole group felt well looked after.Thankyou very much for all of the stories and information I really enjoyed my day.

Stotfold, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Jerusalem tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have done a few tours of Israel, two with Rent-a-Guide tours, both have been really great. The last one with my friend last week was fantastic! Meir Shalom, our guide was incredibly knowledgeable about Jerusalem, Christian, Jewish and Muslem. Despite my having toured the city before, Meir took us to places I had not seen on previous tours, as well as covering everything you would expect to see. I would thoroughly recommend booking a tour of Jerusalem and Bethlehem with Meir and Rent-a-Guide.

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Rude Tour Guide”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went on the 'Biblical Highlights of North Israel' day tour and the tour guide, Sylvia, was terrible. No one could hear her from the back and she moved through the whole first half of the day as if there was someone chasing her. There was barely enough time to take a picture before she was already explaining something else. Although the description states that lunch is not included, it does not say that it is practically forced upon you at a price that you only find out after the food is infront of you. The tour guide walks you into the restaurant (which is your only option for food) and seats you at the table before disappearing to her own table with no explanation of costs. We did not get a menu, but instead were giving a choice of Fish, Meat, or Chicken - that's all. The tour is expensive enough for a rushed day, but the added cost of $23 per person for a less than adequate lunch was incredibly disappointing.

Visited November 2012
Rent-a-Guide, Public Relations Manager at Rent a Guide Israel Tours, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Costumer

I am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the tour.
As the biggest and most popular touring company in Israel, we try to provide the best quality of any aspect of the tour. The car that drove you to the tour is new. we are checking our cars every morning before they goes to the tour, so it's a shame that you couldn't hear the guide, since it was a matter of technical problem. Since the tour includes other people the only method of getting everyone satisfied regarding lunch is to take the people to a restaurant that can provide meat, fish and chicken in the menu since the time schedule is limited we choose this restaurant that is good value for money. Regarding the price - 25$ is a fair price for such kind of meal, therefore, were sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal.
It is very important to us that all our costumers will be satisfied at the end of the touring day, therefore, again, we are very sorry to hear your complaints and we will still do our best to improve our services.
Los Angeles, California
“Uninformative money grab -- STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I took the "Business Class" Dead Sea/Masada tour, and was extremely disappointed. Our guide, Sylvia, was pleasant, but had no real grasp of history. As we drove the route from Tel Aviv in a cramped van, we passed Jericho, where, in our guide's words "the walls came tumbling down." That was all we were to learn about Jericho. Worse, we probably stayed atop Masada for only an hour - passing by numerous guides giving much more detailed explanations than we received.

The priorities on this tour were all wrong. We stopped at a cosmetics factory for a good 30 minutes, and spent another hour at the Masada cafe and gift shop, more time than we spent at the actual site of Masada. It was crassly commercial, not historical.

Fellow travelers from Sweden and Canada were equally unimpressed. My hotel (The Rothschild) had recommended this company, as had theirs -- the Crowne Plaza and Brown TLV. So trust TripAdvisor, not your hotel concierge -- there are better companies out there.

Dear Costumer

As the biggest touring company in Israel our costumer service is very important to us. Our tour includes also shopping time in order to give the costumers not only to buy some presents back home but also to give them a little break. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation of the tour and that the tour wasn't very informative for you as well. Its a shame that you didn't gave us the chance to explain our selves and to find a solution for you. Definitely we could have been able to find how to make you satisfied and happy. We have thousands of costumers during a month and sometimes we cannot meet all expectations therefore is very important to us to provide the best service we can. We work with most of the hotels in Tel Aviv that knows our quality of service.