“Comfortable hotel near the beach” 4 of 5 stars

10% discount
Ranked #54 of 88 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Zealand
“Comfortable hotel near the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed as a tour group for one night at Hotel Gilgal. We found it to be friendly, clean and comfortable. The rooms are smallish but ok for a night. The breakfast very nice with a good range of Israeli style food, it was part of the price on the 5th floor with views to the beach. Over all I would say we got value for money, however I wouldn't want an extended stay here because of room size.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear guests from New Zealand!
thank you for your nice feedback. I remember your group - it was very nice having you here with us – from the ends of the earth.
Next time you come, please allow me to show you our ideas we have put into the rooms for storing away all the luggage. This will help a lot to make the standard size rooms big enough (yes, this is the standard size for our kind of hotel).
We do hope you will come back to visit again!
With blessing, Elisheva Damkani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hebrew first
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel while on a holy land pilgrimage with my church (I did not choose this hotel) Although this hotel is very close to the beach, the location is too close to Tel
Aviv's sleazy and gritty Allenby street. Right outside of the hotel even the sidewalks were littered with
"buisness cards" promoting prostitution. Several children in our group collected the cards with inappropriate pictures of females advertising their services.
Allenby street is filled with filled with junkies, drunks, rowdy teens and beggars. I would advise staying more north in the upscale part of the city much more suitable for families. The hotel itself left things to be desired such as a low level of service, the rooms were too small it had the feeling of being in a hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Christiane, shalom,
thank you for your feedback - although we are sad to hear that you did not like it here.
We totally agree with you about the cards on the streets. We just now entered into a real fight against this. We are cleaning the streets almost daily - in addition to the City Hall having them cleaned since this is not enough - these people throwing the cards keep coming back. And we got in contact with the City Hall and think that together we can win this fight. It might take time but we will succeed, we believe.
I cannot share a link here, but you might find our video clip where we ask the Maire of Tel Aviv, Ron Huldai, for help in this, it expresses exactly your feelings - and ours.
About the location. Yes, there are directions you rather do not go at night. You should have asked me or the receptionist where you should go, especially with children. Not to walk this direction at night makes a big difference. When you walk towards the Sea everything looks different... To our sorrow in a big city there are those areas everywhere. We just need to avoid them.
The size of our rooms is slightly bigger than standard for our 3/4 star rating. I think bigger rooms you have only in the 5 star hotels actually...
I am really sorry about your remarks about the service and if I had more information I could address it with my workers. We do serve our guests the best we can - and the way they deserve it. I am sorry you did not receive service as desired.
We will try to become better in the future.
Sincerely, Elisheva Damkani
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This place almost had a bed-and-breakfast feel to it. Warm and inviting. Lobby is a bit like a "meeting" place. Easy walk to the beach. Breakfast was lovely with a roof-top view. Even without a shared language, the breakfast staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms tiny, but added to the intimate feel. Required creative placement of luggage. Bathroom was shiny clean. I would have gladly stayed longer, but our tour only allowed one night there. Lots of restaurants in walking distance. If you consider yourself a "walker," you can get to Old Jaffe. Try walking along Allenby Rd where there's an open market. Bank and ATM only two blocks away. Located in a "neighborhood."

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Sharon,
thank you so much for your review!
I will let my workers know that you describe them as friendly and helpful and I will surely let them know about you recognizing that the bathroom was shiny and clean. They will be happy to hear and it will encourage them to continue with their good work.
I am indeed happy about our staff, they really give their best for our guests.
We hope to see you soon again here in Hotel Gilgal, Elisheva
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The room was clean and new-breakfast was excellent with a great view. The only reason it does not get a 5 rating from me is that the wifi is only available in the lobby. However, the place is friendly, inviting, and has a great location! I would go back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Angie, shalom,
thank you so much for your review! We are happy you liked your stay in Hotel Gilgal!
I am surprised to hear that the WiFi did not work everywhere in the Hotel. Only recently we bought new and stronger routers to make sure they reach every corner of the hotel. I will surely look into it - knowing how important it is today to be online almost constantly...
Looking forward to seeing you again, we hope you will come again to visit and enjoy a time of rest here.
Sincerely, Elisheva
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I chose GilGal because I was on a budget and wanted to be close to the beach. This was the only plus about the hotel. The woman at the front was very friendly at first but when I checked into the room I found that the toilet had unflushed feces.I don't understand how their housekeeping permits this. I went down to mention this and the same woman restrained laughter. I can not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Raul, shalom,
thank you for giving us your feedback. Although it is very hard to hear and I cannot really find words, I need to know this and I appreciate your openness.
I know that our toilets at times have this problem. Although they have been cleaned - and are really clean (I can promise I checked that many times), when the water is not flushed for a day, it looks disgusting. Very disgusting. One flush helps, but I agree wholeheartedly, you do not want to see a seemingly dirty toilet when you enter your room in a hotel.
As for the response of our receptionist. I really don't know what to say. I am really sorry. I can understand that you felt she was not talking you seriously. I am quite certain this was not the case and not her reason to laugh. Knowing her and her sweet spirit, I rather guess that she was very sorry about the situation and totally insecure - she simply did not know what to do with the situation and what to say. I am sure the future will teach her a few more communication skills.
I can only ask you to forgive us and do hope after this incident you had a good and relaxing time in Hotel Gilgal and you will come back some day soon.
Sincerely, Elisheva Damkani
Madison, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

100 rooms - all on the small side. King bed was really two twin mattresses on a king box spring. Great for sleeping without disturbing your partner but not so good for cuddling as each person's sheets were tucked into the middle of the bed. The small bathroom did not provide any soap, shampoo or washcloth. From talking to others, it appears that their situation was the same.

Had dinner in the basement dining room. The food was server buffet style with lots of choices. Very tasty!

Had breakfast on the top floor where there was a view of Tel Aviv. Again the food was buffet style with a wide variety of tasty choices.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear guests from New Jersey,
thank you very much for your feedback!
I am sorry to hear that your bed had two sheets. This shouldn't be. For couples we usually provide one big sheet, which makes it more comfortable. You could have told the reception and we would have changed it immediately.
About the soap: Until recently we had soap in little plastic containers (we ordered it from a company that employs disabled people, which I really liked) - until I just could not handle my conscience anymore. All this plastic and half used soap thrown away almost broke my heart. I just could not continue with it. I do feel responsible for our nature.
The solution we have now I personally like much better: We have soap and shampoo from ‘Dove’, which I personally find the best on the market (the ingredients, smell and the advertisement they do). It is much better quality than we could get in the little container and it is in the big dispenser on the wall in the shower and at the hand basin. I do hope our guests will enjoy it as much as I do. And yes, you are right, in Israel we do not use washcloths.
I am glad you liked our food! I do too.
I do hope you will visit us again, until then be blessed, Elisheva Damkani
Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My only gripe with this hotel is that they had given our room away when we arrived at 9 PM, telling us that the tour group they were hosting had decided to stay an extra night. I think having a reservation should mean something and I think they were a bit misleading but ended up putting us in another hotel nearby (Prima) that has a better rating on TripAdvisor but after staying at both, I have no idea why. After telling him that we were coming back at the end of our trip to stay for another night, he offered to buy us dinner that evening. He also gave us a late checkout at 3:00 PM on Saturday when our flight took off at 9:00 PM. This was a really nice touch since it meant that we could shower and relax after hitting the beach.

Other highlights:

Beautiful terrace overlooking the beach where you can enjoy a great breakfast. Take advantage while it lasts since they will be building a couple high-rises to block this view.

Working internet in the room!

Clean and spacious showers. Not always a guarantee in a hotel.

Only a few hundred meters from the beach.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the Gilgal and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Gilgal T, Owner at Hotel Gilgal, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear guests, shalom,
thank you for giving us your feedback!

First of all I really want to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the moving between hotels. In a small hotel like ours this can happen, although we do our best that it doesn't. And we thought we give you a treat and send you to a better hotel instead. I am sorry to hear it wasn't better.

I am glad you obviously forgave us and even will come back.
Looking forward to hosting you soon again - it is great fun to have guests like you (I remember seeing you at the reception, you are the type of people that it is fun to serve).

Blessing, Elisheva Damkani

Been to Hotel Gilgal? Share your experiences!