“Unmarried couples & alcoholics beware” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hashimi Hotel and Hostel

You added Hashimi Hotel and Hostel to your Saves list
Hashimi Hotel and Hostel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Souq khan El-zeit # 73, Old City | Old City, Jerusalem, Israel (Muslim Quarter)   |
Ranked #21 of 53 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Parramatta, Australia
1,351 helpful votes 1,351 helpful votes
“Unmarried couples & alcoholics beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

A very mixed bag here as it will suit some & turn off most offering dorms & private rooms. It has a covered rooftop area with clear unobstructed views of the Rock on the Dome, Al Aqsa Mosque & much of the neighbourhood in the muslim quarter, stunning views at night.

Unmarried couples must sleep on separate floors as the hostel is run by muslim dudes or buy some cheap rings. You can negotiate to have a dorm to yourself. No alcohol can be consumed on the premises so aussies should avoid blowing into their faces.

My shoebox had 4 single beds or 2 bunks, LCD tv, air con, hot water & free wifi but not great in the rooms. Theres enough space for 1 skinny vegetarian to move around but fatties will dispair. Once the bathroom mould touches water from the shower it stinks a bit so make an educated choice. The girls had a double bed which they negotiated for 300 NIS which included a simple buffet breakfast. Free WiFi is ok in the reception lobby but dodgy everywhere else, has 2 computers for guests.

Male staff were probably a bit too friendly with my gf & sister but seemed threatened whenever i was around which is unfair since i like flirting too. I suppose being a former world wrestling champion does that to people. We got outta there the next day for the Petra Hostel.

The Hashimi Hotel & Hostel is located firmly in the Muslim Quarter not far from Damascus Gate in the Old City close to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre & not too far from the 6th Station of the Cross on the Via Dolorosa.

Room Tip: Unmarried couples have to sleep in separate rooms, maybe stay elsewhere
Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at the Hashimi Hotel for two weeks in late September. I would unreservedlyy recommend this hotel. It is very clean, conveniently located in the Old City near the Damascus and New Gates, reasonably priced wirh accomodating service. I've read some bad reviews of this hotel which I fell are not deserved. I was not awaken once in my two weeks stay by the call to prayer or any other outside sounds and my room was very clean (including the sheets) and spacious. It's just steps away from the Via Delarosa. As for safety, although things do close in this sectionn between 7-8PM in the fall bear in mind that there are security cameras in all parts of the old city. I was not bothered once during my stay there returning around 11:00pm each night.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hashimi Hotel
I just came back from a trip to Israel, and we stayed one night at the Hashimi Hotel, located in the old city of Jerusalem.

I stayed in a hotel just outside of the old city, but wanted to spend a night inside as well, so I did some research and Hashimi had some very good reviews (there were a few other guest houses inside the old city, but they were booked).

I booked it after reading the reviews and looking at pictures of what looked like a very lovely place to stay and enjoy the ambiance of the old city.

I was completely disapointed in my stay at Hashimi. I will outline the pros and cons of this place so you can judge for yourself.

Nice things:
- Location was inside the city walls, which was good (near Damascus Gate, but I left through Jaffa gate so it's kinda in the middle).
- Nice front lobby, very exotic and clean.
- Nice manager.

Not so nice things:
- When we checked in, all the staff did not look at me. I understand that they consider this polite in the community, but when my husband handed them my id (I was the one who booked the room so we assumed they'd want my id), they did not want it but told him they wanted him to provide his id instead.

- The smallest room I've ever slept in. There was not enough room for 2 pieces of luggage and walking room.
- When I pulled my bedspread back, I saw a dirty shoe print on my sheets. Someone had been walking on my sheets! I then noticed that there were holes in my sheets as well. I traded sides with my husband (his sheets had a couple of holes too, but no dirty shoeprint), but was so grossed out I layed out a towel and slept on that.
- I was so grossed out by the condition of the bedsheets that I couldn't bring myself to shower in the dingy closet sized bathroom.
- The bathroom was very small and dingy. The shower stall folded away when not in use, so very small bathroom
- At exactly 3:15am, I was awoken to people drumming in the streets and yelling. This was during Ramadan, so it may have been for that, however it was loud and my shutting the windows would not drown it out, and it went on for more than 1/2 an hour.
- Be aware that there are 5am Muslim prayers that are called out with a megaphone from a nearby Mosque.
- We asked at the front desk what time check out was, and we were told 10:30am. This didn't sound correct to me, so I checked their website, which clearly said check out was 12noon. We went out for a walk in the morning and returned at 11:20 to get our things and check out. We were intercepted by someone who asked us if we were planning on staying for an extra day, because why else were we still there. We informed them that we would be leaving in a few minutes, but I didn't appreciate being pestered like that.
- Cobblestones on the streets, so once you reach the Gate, you have to almost carry your luggage to the hotel as you are walking on cobblestones for a good 5 minutes.
- Be aware that walking around in the old city is not recommended after dark. What this means is that you need to be back in your hotel before it's too dark, as it all becomes very deserted. Jerusalem is very safe, however the old city is full of winding little paths and it's quite eering walking around.

Honestly, it was a disaster from start to finish. The only people who I would possibly recommend staying here is either students or else if you're planning on spending all of your time in the old city and are very religious and want to be near the area all the time.

I found it to be pricey for what it was, but like I said, it might be fine for someone but be aware of what you're getting. This is definitly a hostel, not a hotel.

I had stayed at another hotel just outside of the Jaffa Gate, for a bit more money, but it was a palace in comparison. We could also go out after dark and go for a bite to eat without worrying about getting back before dark.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RamisubJerusalem, Manager at Hashimi Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
we would like to address some comments:

we do our best with keeping the rooms in best condition however if there was a problem with the room/bed sheets etc. we would have changed that immediately.

we apologise for any inconvenience.

we will amend time of check out stated wrongly as 12:00 to 10:30 which is the correct time of check out.

the Old City is a unique and special area with lots of history but we can assure all customers that it is safe and has security during the night even more than most big cities around the world.

other than that we can't control religious celebrations in the area which happen most times at the early hours of the morning on high holidays such as Ramadan Christmas New Years and Easter.

we are proud to be the only hotel in the Old City and we can assure all our Customers in the past and the future that we will do our very best for your full satisfaction from your stay.

we have to add that we are sure that with the right research you can make the most of your stay in this special city with thousands of years of History.

Hashimi Hotel
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed in this hostel 3 nights. The staff wasn't very friendly and the rooms were vile. You have to pay cash because credit cards are not accepted. Unmarried couple can't stay in the same room.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I was travelling in israel in a group of 5 people (3 women and 2 men) and we booked a room for 5 people. We choose the hashimi for the location (inside the old city) and because we could sleep all toghether and then we found out, only at the check-in that unmarried
couples were not allowed in the same room but they didn't mentioned about it on their website. At the end they gave us two rooms for the same price altough at check-out they changed the total price.
The building and the rooms were quite strange (We found holes in the bathroom walls, it was impossible
to go out in the terrace, conditioning system wasn't working).
There is no breakfast, or better they offer tea and cucumbers for
breakfast at the price of 4 euros but to me this is not a breakfast buffet.
The staff was quite unfriendly and rude. It's impossible to pay by credit card, they want only cash.
So in conclusion I think this was the worst hotel in which I have ever been and I won't recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed in this hostel a couple of nights and have recommended it to my friends. The group animities are great. A friend of mine and her husband stayed there one night and said that the private facilities are also spectacular. I went there by myself and the owner made sure he kept an eye on me when I was eating next door and even shooed away unwelcome company that was pestering me. The price is the best in town. The roof has a beautiful view of the Old City and they serve a wonderful breakfast up there in the morning. The hostel is also very quiet in comparison to the other hostels I have stayed at in the past. I was able to get free WiFi for my computer and even upload pictures and videos. I will never stay anywhere else in Jerusalem. This hostel is by far the best.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Fribourg, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Ok, the situation and especially the roof terrace is great, the rooms are almost clean and the prices are correct. But people at the reception and people running the hotel were so rude that I definitively won't go back there. They do not know what hospitality means (even basic hospitality like smiling sometimes). Each time I arrive and ask for the key, I had the feeling to disturb them. The only thing they said to me with a smile was "oh and do not forget to write a review of our hotel" Hum, did it.
Last but not least in my opinion: serving breakfast with plastic plates, knives, etc. is definitively environmentally-UNfriendly.
Next time, I will go book in advance and go to the Austrian Hospice.
PS: take your earplugs (boule quies) with you if you want to sleep.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hashimi Hotel and Hostel? Share your experiences!