“Basic hotel in an excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kaplan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Kaplan Hotel
Save Saved
You added Kaplan Hotel to your Saves list
1 Havatzelet St, Jerusalem 91001, Israel   |
Ranked #29 of 88 Hotels in Jerusalem
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel in an excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The highlights of the hotel were the excellent location, and the friendly service. The hotel was very conveniently located just off Jaffa Road within easy reach of the bus station (a 15 min walk, or 4 stops on the tram) and the old city (10 min walk). The owner was very friendly and hospitable, giving us a city map and booking our trip to the airport for us.
The room itself was very basic. The bed was fairly uncomfortable, and only came with two very small single sheets for a double bed, and quite a flat pillow each. The walls were very thin, and we were woken up several times in the night by people talking in the corridor.
All in all though, considering the price and the location, I would consider booking this hotel again for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have waited long enough to post about my wonderful experience at the Kaplan Hotel in Jerusalem. My family stayed at the Harmony and for only $60/night i was a 5-minute walk from them, a great location near Zion Square and the City Center train stop. Plenty of good food nearby, expensive and budget. Jaffa Street shopping for clothes, groceries, sundries. Close to Machane Yehuda, quick train ride to Yad Vashem.
Both Eli and Natan went out of their way to help and make me comfortable. They alternate for 2 weeks each, so if you're lucky you'll get to meet both. Eli and his sweet dog Joyky are a great welcoming committee -- helped with bags, left fruit and flowers in my room, made me feel at home. Natan is the 'best man!' He was there for most of my stay and helped with everything possible: extra hangers, actually going out and buying a Shabbat timer to accommodate me, getting me a ride to the airport after the snowstorm, and just being there to talk to and calming me down when I was nervous. He served breakfast to newcomers and provided helpful information. My room was basic but adequate (#12-17 in the pictures for this hotel), i was lucky enough to have an armoire and a mini-fridge. I couldn't quite figure out the TV (wasn't there much anyway) and i couldn't connect to their Wi-fi network, but there were other venues nearby to use and when i needed one, Natan did a print-out for me. I did wipe down the furniture in my room when i arrived, it wasn't spanking clean. However the towels were clean and ample, the housekeeper was very kind and changed the sheets every couple of days. Kitchen available, use your own utensils if you keep kosher. For a low-cost option, I have only praise for Kaplan Hotel; for its proprietors, the highest of praise at any price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Booked this hotel based on previous review , and it met our expectations . We were greeted by the owner who gave us a map of the city and pointed out where the main areas of the city were. Our room was very comfortable with a hot shower available at any time . Facilities were also great wi fi worked well in our room , and television had a sports channel , also we had use of a kitchen where we could make hot drinks when ever we wanted , included in price of room . The owner Elie was extremely helpful with any travel issues we had , if you come into Jerusalm from the central station side , you can get the tram into city , tickets can be bought at tram stop. Location is great with lots of bars and restaurants close by, but bear in mind that they aso close for the sabbath, from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday , or roughly 7pm . You can walk to old city which is just ten minutes away , and the local bus station just fifteen minutes away . Only down side was the club at top of street, you could hear them leaving at 3 am . Overall we enjoyed our five nights here and found the hotel to be good value for money

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had a two night stay at the Kaplan a couple of weeks ago. So many reviews focus so much on the kind owners and not on the property that I was surprised by the facility itself. PRO's -- the location is indeed great just ten minutes from the Old City, in a safe area with shops, cafes, etc. all around. The rate is good. I paid under $100 for a single room. My room had a fairly comfy double bed, color TV, en suite bath with shower, and lots of storage space in a little closet/nook. My room had good natural air and light plus individually controlled heat/AC unit. Great on the hot water and great wifi with plenty of power points to recharge! CON's -- There are so many 4 star ratings of the property, because of the kindness of the owners ( which is "Service") that I was quite surprised by my room. My expectations, based on the ratings, were too high. If you are European think Etap or Ibis Budget, but with a few years. If you are US, think Motel 6 with a few years. Bad? NO. But, this really is a proper 2 star property. The bathroom IS the shower stall so you spray all over. On my one full day no one touched my room which means the trash was not emptied nor was it swept, whatever. When I arrived someone had used the top drawer of the nightstand as an ashtray and I cleaned that out myself. Plus, there were Mosquitos. My top sheet was sitting on the bed, folded, with the towels (which were fine), when I arrived and I was surprised that it was a twin sheet for a double bed. Be Awares -- property is a little hard to find at first. Jaffa Rd is the road with the tram line. When you see the big Bank Hapoalim and the big Union Bank, the Kaplan is across Jaffa, up the side street. My room was two flights upstairs ,which is not an issue to me. There is no safe and the sign says they are not responsible for valuables. Am I unhappy? No! Am I sure to return? No. I'll check around. I was at the Hotel La Grand Cloche in Brussels four weeks ago. it was aTrip Advisor Bargain hotel. It was so much nicer. So, no complaints! But, not all those four stars that some reviewers suggest. The Kaplan is a decent 2 Star property in a great location with great owners if you need them.

Room Tip: The area is just plain noisy! Not sure there is any remedy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Yerevan, Armenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is perfect hotel for budget travellers, located in the center of Jerusalem, very close to old city, night life and market.

Very friendly and helpful owner - Natan, able to to prvide suppot and advise on any challenge (mine was to book tour to Dead Sea on Friday night for next day - less than 9 hours in advance - accomplished!)

Room with nice cosy balcony, air conditioning, TV and refregerator.

Thank you very much for making my short stay so well planned and ejoyable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Excellent hotel
Loving and warm host
Incredible place - the center of Jerusalem 10 minutes from the old city and the market.
a simple but great little place a great host - eli, if you ant to feel like home this is the place clean warm and welcoming.

Mali Kazakhstan Astana

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you want to spend your tourist money on touring, instead of on your hotel, this is the place to stay. It is in the perfect location, in the middle of the pedestrian boulevard, two buildings off Jaffa Street and Ben Yehuda. The host, Eli Wasserman, is just incredibly helpful. The room is simple and clean, with a fridge, a nice private bathroom, and excellent access to a kitchen. Eli and Nathan helped us sort through possible tours and how to get taxis, rental cars (even on Shabbat) and other logistics. Eli even offered to pay my parking ticket from his home computer and just add it to the bill when I couldn't figure out how to do it from my ipad. The perfect place to stay if you want simple, convenient accommodations in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: This hotel is right on Zion Square in Jaffa Street. If you are a really light sleeper, you need to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Kaplan Hotel? Share your experiences!