“Great Location, Good Value, You Get What You Pay For!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kaplan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Kaplan Hotel
Save Saved
You added Kaplan Hotel to your Saves list
1 Havatzelet St, Jerusalem 91001, Israel   |
Ranked #29 of 87 hotels in Jerusalem
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Location, Good Value, You Get What You Pay For!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had a two night stay at the Kaplan a couple of weeks ago. So many reviews focus so much on the kind owners and not on the property that I was surprised by the facility itself. PRO's -- the location is indeed great just ten minutes from the Old City, in a safe area with shops, cafes, etc. all around. The rate is good. I paid under $100 for a single room. My room had a fairly comfy double bed, color TV, en suite bath with shower, and lots of storage space in a little closet/nook. My room had good natural air and light plus individually controlled heat/AC unit. Great on the hot water and great wifi with plenty of power points to recharge! CON's -- There are so many 4 star ratings of the property, because of the kindness of the owners ( which is "Service") that I was quite surprised by my room. My expectations, based on the ratings, were too high. If you are European think Etap or Ibis Budget, but with a few years. If you are US, think Motel 6 with a few years. Bad? NO. But, this really is a proper 2 star property. The bathroom IS the shower stall so you spray all over. On my one full day no one touched my room which means the trash was not emptied nor was it swept, whatever. When I arrived someone had used the top drawer of the nightstand as an ashtray and I cleaned that out myself. Plus, there were Mosquitos. My top sheet was sitting on the bed, folded, with the towels (which were fine), when I arrived and I was surprised that it was a twin sheet for a double bed. Be Awares -- property is a little hard to find at first. Jaffa Rd is the road with the tram line. When you see the big Bank Hapoalim and the big Union Bank, the Kaplan is across Jaffa, up the side street. My room was two flights upstairs ,which is not an issue to me. There is no safe and the sign says they are not responsible for valuables. Am I unhappy? No! Am I sure to return? No. I'll check around. I was at the Hotel La Grand Cloche in Brussels four weeks ago. it was aTrip Advisor Bargain hotel. It was so much nicer. So, no complaints! But, not all those four stars that some reviewers suggest. The Kaplan is a decent 2 Star property in a great location with great owners if you need them.

Room Tip: The area is just plain noisy! Not sure there is any remedy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yerevan, Armenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is perfect hotel for budget travellers, located in the center of Jerusalem, very close to old city, night life and market.

Very friendly and helpful owner - Natan, able to to prvide suppot and advise on any challenge (mine was to book tour to Dead Sea on Friday night for next day - less than 9 hours in advance - accomplished!)

Room with nice cosy balcony, air conditioning, TV and refregerator.

Thank you very much for making my short stay so well planned and ejoyable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Excellent hotel
Loving and warm host
Incredible place - the center of Jerusalem 10 minutes from the old city and the market.
a simple but great little place a great host - eli, if you ant to feel like home this is the place clean warm and welcoming.

Mali Kazakhstan Astana

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you want to spend your tourist money on touring, instead of on your hotel, this is the place to stay. It is in the perfect location, in the middle of the pedestrian boulevard, two buildings off Jaffa Street and Ben Yehuda. The host, Eli Wasserman, is just incredibly helpful. The room is simple and clean, with a fridge, a nice private bathroom, and excellent access to a kitchen. Eli and Nathan helped us sort through possible tours and how to get taxis, rental cars (even on Shabbat) and other logistics. Eli even offered to pay my parking ticket from his home computer and just add it to the bill when I couldn't figure out how to do it from my ipad. The perfect place to stay if you want simple, convenient accommodations in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: This hotel is right on Zion Square in Jaffa Street. If you are a really light sleeper, you need to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

First off, I have to join the other reviewers in their praise of Eli as a wonderful host - I arrived extremely early in the morning, but he greeted me with a smile, gave me the room keys and a bottle of water, told me to get some sleep and come back when I was ready to check in. Later, he would also provide me with a chamsa necklace, as my visit coincided with a turbulent period with air sirens even in Jerusalem (November 2012).

The Kaplan is nicely located in the middle of everything, and it is easy to get to the various sights and events in the city - either by foot, tram or taxi. And should you need any advice on where to go or how to get there, Eli will be at your service! Due to nearby construction work during my stay, I learnt that its central location is both a gift and a curse, as they would begin working very early.

The room was average and nothing more - as expected from a hotel this price range. The bathroom was very small, but everything worked as it should. Unfortunately, my experience was somewhat marred by stepping barefoot on a cockroach on my last day, pushing my overall impression from a "Very good" to an "Average" one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my brother in July. I wasn't too familiar with the area but the owner of the hotel gave me booklets and recommendations of fun things to do in the surrounding area. Very friendly and pleasant owner, extremely accommodating, best location near plenty of restaurants, bars, and shops. Clean rooms with wifi and TV. Bang for your buck!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

A hotel not only at the heart of the city but that provides service with a heart making it a real home away from home, Eli and Nathan the owners are incredibly kind and helpful (and funny!) and go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that you have everything you need during your stay. They really know how to put a smile on your face.

It is a rare thing to come across hotel owners with such humanity, who are so passionate about providing a good service, whom would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it! I was offered food more than once when returning late after a long day taking care of a sick relative and even received a thoughtful gifts in my room of fresh flowers and platters of fruit which were a real delight and godsend, again testament to how incredibly thoughtful Eli and Nathan are.

On a practical note the rooms are clean and tidy and well equipped, showers hot and as well as being in a tremendous location and having all mod cons there is a real sense of being amongst friends and feeling incredibly safe and all of this for a very reasonable price. It is uncanny as the Kaplan is right at the centre with everything a stones throw away, yet magically feels like home. I am a repeat visitor and I have met many others from all over the world and all walks of life that return again and again. The Kaplan is truly a little gem in Jerusalem and it’s owners beautiful souls. Staying here can really enhance the enjoyment of visiting the Holy Land and leave you with a positive lasting memory.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kaplan Hotel? Share your experiences!