“Very sweet place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #403 of 481 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Chicago, Illinois
“Very sweet place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We just had dinner here. It is an attractive place with the tables beautifully set....a little more atmosphere than the typical old city restaurants. The waiter was charming, attentive, and very kind. The food was very tasty and fresh, and the prices were in line with other restaurants in Jerusalem.

Visited May 2014

Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
“Overcharged with No Recourse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Select is located near the Armenian sector of Jerusalem, and when we were looking for a meal, both of the nearby restaurants were filled with tour groups and denied us a meal.
I spotted this lovely restaurant, through glass windows that offered a beautiful interior, complete with linen napkins.
We had not had a bad meal yet in Jerusalem, so this seemed worth a try. There was a clean bathroom and the seats were very comfortable.
We were handed a menu to make our choice. We decided on hummus and a Greek Salad. My husband ordered a beer, and I drank tap water. I specifically asked for the Greek Salad to contain no peppers: green, yellow or red, as I am very allergic. The man understood me completely, as I had also asked for no paprika on the hummus, which I received promptly with warm pitas.
When the salad arrived, it was filled with peppers. I did not bother to send it back, because I had been quite specific in my order, and I can only presume that he did not understand what I had asked.
My husband ate the salad, and I ate the hummus.

When we were finished, we asked for the check, and an older gentleman came to us with a slip of paper with the number 100 written on it.
My husband asked if they would take a credit card, and this man said that they were not equipped to use cards.
So, my husband gave him the money, but then we realized that we had been way overcharged. The hummus had only been 15 shekels, and the salad was 25 at the most.
When questioned, the gentlemen told us that he had included a service charge in the bill.
Keep in mind that we were given no itemized bill.

When pressed, the man told us that the salad had been 45 shekels, but there had been NO salads that were that expensive on the menu, and I assure you that I would never have ordered a salad at that price. And, at that price, I would have insisted on a replacement without peppers, as I had ordered.

When we continued to question the man, he acted as if he did NOT understand me.

Unless you want to throw away your money, I suggest that you continue to look elsewhere for a meal.

Deceit is NEVER to be tolerated and there is no way, in my opinion, that trip advisor should ever give any type of recommendation to an establishment who deliberately rips off a customer.

• Visited March 2014