“Really good value...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lutheran Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Lutheran Guest House
St. Mark's Road No. 7 | P.O. Box 14051, Jerusalem, Israel   |
Ranked #9 of 53 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Really good value...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This hotel was the best I stayed in while travelling in Israel. It was modern, well furnished, very clean, the rooms were great and above all it was excellent value. This was one of the cheaper places I stayed during my trip but certainly the nicest. The staff were really helpful, the location is great (tucked away down a quiet alley but right near Jaffa Gate in the old town). It has a lovely garden area and patio, a cafe that does good food and drinks and a great roof terrace with views over the old city. Well worth it...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed several nights in July 2012. Excellent location, not too far from Jaffa gate if you want to head to the new city, but close to the old city sites. Note: short walk from Jaffa gate includes rolling suitcase over cobblestones, downhill a bit, then up several stairs. If you have big, heavy bags, it can be a chore but it is not that far and not too difficult. Excellent view from new / upper floor rooms, but note: the upper floor rooms do not have AC (a fan is provided). This is not too bad because you can open your balcony door and get a breeze, but a couple of nights were very warm. Our room did not have TV, which we did not want anyway, but if it is important to you then be sure that you ask when making your reservations. Upper floor rooms on north side have small balconies from which you can see the city and take in the morning sun. Good breakfast. Clean rooms. Staff not very talkative but seemed nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The hostel is well located in the centre of old town in order to experience the whole of old town as it is near the cross-point of the 4 quarters. Getting to the hotel is less pleasant as your taxi takes you only as far as Jaffa gate and you have to walk down the stairs for several hundred meter ending with a steep climb at the end. If you have a rental car than you might have a problem parking the car, outside old town. We had a rental car the last 2 days, which was manageable, but not advisable for a longer period.
The hotel and the rooms are impeccable clean, the staff is cool: they are not kissing you behind, but are polite, flexible, friendly and helpful.
The breakfast is more than OK for a stay for 5 days: 2-3 types of cheese and ham, vegetables, sausages, tuna, eggs, different corn flakes, just some croissants were missing.
For dinner I would suggest the 2 Armenian restaurants and the Jewish quarter, which is the most lively in the evening and is less a tourist trap (cheapest falafels in town).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilton, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We saw the good TripAdvisor reviews and decided to give it a shot.

When we arrived at Jerusalem, we made out way through the alleys and found the Guest House. We entered and were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in a comfortable lobby with stone columns, courtyards, etc. That was the end of the pleasant surprises.
We received our room key from the (reasonably friendly) front desk staff and went upstairs. After searching unsuccessfully for our room for several minutes (there was only one hallway in that part of the building), we went back past the large group of people that was apparently allowed to have loud meetings a few feet away from people's doors and returned to the front desk. The staff member guided us to the exact same hallway and discovered that our room wasn't there. After about ten minutes of running around and making phone calls, she took us to another staircase and brought us to our room.
Now, the hallway that we were in before was reasonably nice. lt was clean, the doors were a decent quality and had nice locks, it was well-lit, etc.
At the top of that staircase, we reached an area with only one room: ours. It was right next to the kitchen, so there was quite a bit of noise. There was virtually no lighting, the walls were bare, and the floors were dirty. However, it was only once we opened the door--which looked like a piece of plywood that someone glued to some hinges--that the fun began.

Our room was horrendous. The floor was filthy, the cabinets would have made an IKEA shopper wince, and the walls were bare concrete without any nice photos. There was one crappy ceiling light and a few poor lamps. The aforementioned cabinets had a layer of dust that was several centimeters thick on top of them. The "free hotel-wide WiFi access" worked about 5% of the time (the signal was very weak). But the best part? The bathroom.
To start with, the bathroom was maybe six feet in each direction. The shower was a two-foot-wide square crammed into one of the room's corners (the other two were occupied by the sink, the radiator, and the toilet). The shower's 'curtain' was a two $5 pieces of plastic pipe connected at the corners to form a right angle (matching the shower's layout, which was defined by two ugly concrete walls and some cheap tiling). It had been pulled down by what I presume to be the immense weight of the shower curtain and was sticking out of the wall at a 50-degree angle (instead of the usual 90). The lights also didn't work correctly and the sink was hit-or-miss.
Somehow, we managed to fall asleep. In the morning, we were woken up not by the prayers echoing across the city, but by the loudly obnoxious group (the same group as before) that was using the wooden stairwell to come down from the third floor. This stairwell (which had a 'do not use sign on the door but was wide open with the lights on) came out about a foot away from our door. Great way to wake up--you have a group of people walking past your room for a solid 15 minutes. Snooze buttons are not an option.
Now, you probably won't be surprised to hear that we complained. The room matched the layout of those weird maintenance rooms you see in airports and school gyms and whatnot--the rooms with all the chemicals and that strange little shower (coincidence? I think not!) and was just awful.
They moved us into another room, on the other side of the hotel. After cheering when we heard that we would move, we ran over to our new room.
This one was an improvement in some ways. The walls had some decorations; the furniture was marginally better; the bathroom was almost better then a port-a-potty.
There were a few downsides, of course. The Wifi connection was now nonexistent. The shower was still tiny. Oh, and the entire ceiling and about half of one of the walls (which were painted white) was stained completely brown, probably because of water damage or something.

I'm going to stop here--I think I've made my point, and I doubt anyone will read this far in any case (kidding!). I've slept in tents, on summer camp cots, in small sailing boats, and everything in between, and they were all more pleasant than this.
I urge you not to go there. It's true that most of the rooms were better than the ones we had. However, would you really want to stay at a hotel that gives guests glorified broom closets and calls them rooms? Even if you get one of the decent rooms, would you want to support people who do this?
I wouldn't. The Lutheran Guest House was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. From the filthy floors to the cramped bathrooms; the poor Internet service to the loud groups of people, it was a ripoff. It's true that my review is influenced by my anger, but the fact that I'm angry should say something. If you decide to ignore my review, then the only advice I have is that you specifically ask--no, DEMAND--that you are not put into Closet--whoops, I meant Room--20 (I'm pretty sure that that was our room's number).

Room Tip: If you want a good room, get one of the ones that's in ANOTHER HOTEL.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My review is for a 3-night stay from May, 2011. Sorry for the delay in posting about it. I am ever the procrastinator and thinking too much about my NEXT trip rather than the previous. But hopefully that doesn't make my opinions/experience any less valued to the Trip Advisor community.

My experiece with the Luthern Guesthouse begins stateside. My flight was delayed and I missed my connection, so did not arrive in Jerusalem until one day later than planned. As soon as I knew that I wouldn't make it on time, I phoned them and explained, asking for them to please hold my reservation for the remaining three days and I would gladly pay for all four due to the short notice. They said no problem and I was relieved to hear this. When I finally arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they did not feel it necessary to charge me for the first night afterall, since I had called and let them know my situation. I find that to be outstanding customer service, which I received throughout my stay. Never too many questions, never too many requests, always friendly smiles and warm welcomes.

The single standard room that I had reserved exceeded my expectations, very comfortable and clean, very good shower (good water pressure, good drainage, everything worked as it should). Breakfast was also great. A lovely dining area, staffed again by helpful, smiling staff. And the offerings were plentiful, varied and delicious!

I will say it could be a little bit daunting trying to find your way to the guesthouse on arrival, being tired from traveling, lugging a suitcase behind you. There are several twists and turns of the pathways in the Old City, which is also a great part of its charm! But thanks to the kindness of a wonderful local couple who were traveling on the same bus as me from the airport, I was led right to the front door! Believe me, it was quite a relief to not have to worry about navigation at that point in my journey. Just be sure to try and get very specific directions before you arrive and you will be fine.

Thank you, Lutheran Guesthouse, for a fantastic stay in a beautiful city! I will wholeheartedly recommend you to all my friends in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed at the Lutheran Guest House for three nights in mid February. I had a single room, which was small but very clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a good working shower.
Breakfast is very basic, but enough to fill me up for the morning. I found it difficult to locate restaurants for dinner short of walking out of the old city and into the new city (and being dead tired after walking through the old city, it wasn't much of an option). Best to have a late lunch and snack for dinner (at a nearby bakery).
The hotel is basically on a small alley up a few sets of stairs, so that despite my original hesitation to pay a "guide" to drag my suitcase through the back alleys, it did make arriving much simpler. I left early in the morning before the shops opened so that it was easier to drag my luggage back to Jaffa Gate, but it was still a number of steps up to the taxi stand.
For all that walking and climbing steps, you get a hotel room just minutes from the Western Wall and just minutes from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The views are spectacular from the hotel's lovely garden (even in February) and its rooftop terrace.
The front desk was very helpful (and sells soft drinks etc. to take back to the room).
I can't think of a better location to explore the old city.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Its quite easy to find and is in a good spot for visiting the old city, although you will have to walk there from the Jaffa Gate and with luggage is a bit of a pain. Its also is in a good spot to get into the new parts of jerusalem which you willneed to do if you want to eat in the evenings. THe rooms are very basic and small, there is no coffee making facilities and no where to get a coffee from, The shower was good, the room was a bit chilly but there were extra blankets, the heating seemd to come on about 9pm oddly. The breakfast was very basic, certainly not enough to take you up to lunch. It is set in some lovely gardens and has a great view over temple mount. the guys on reception where friendly, and arranged a nice guide to take us into Bethlehem for the afternoon. As a base it was great, but don't expect any creature comforts.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lutheran Guest House? Share your experiences!