“Would Go Back Tomorrow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel

Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel
You added Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel to your Saves list
14 Agron St | King George Street & King David Street, Jerusalem 91000, Israel   |
Toronto, Canada
“Would Go Back Tomorrow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

In one word - GREAT!! Clean, comfortable, convenient and charming. I would never contemplate staying elsewhere while in Jerusalem.

The guesthouse is contained within a large convent with high walls and arched ceilings, with nice grounds and great little exhibits. The location cannot be beat; only a short walk to the Old City and to Ben Yehuda.

The rooms are also very clean with good bedding. A good and typical breakfast is also served. There is also excellent Wifi. The sisters working there are also very kind.

The cost is more than I would pay at a hostel, but less than I would normally pay at a hotel.

Plus, I found it ideal to stay in a convent while in Jerusalem...as for me, it was a spiritual experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I've stayed here twice before and this was my first choice for my visit again this year. Unfortunately, they're fully booked this year and I thought it was time for me to post a review about my previous stays.

When I went to Jerusalem a couple of years ago, I looked for a place to stay in Jerusalem that was 1) inexpensive 2) within walking distance of both the Old City and Ben Yehuda Street (both are about a 10 minute walk away) 3) a place that, as a woman travelling alone, I would feel safe walking to/from at night. I found the Rosary Convent Guest House and Hotel on Trip Advisor and, once again,Trip Advisor didn't let me down!

During my stay there, Sister Pascale and Dimitry were exceptionally kind to me. I was treated more like their personal house guest than as a paying guest. Every time I needed any kind of assistance, they went out of their way to help me.

The convent itself is quiet, peaceful and, for me, the perfect place to reflect on this great city after a day of touring/sightseeing. The rooms are basic, but clean. In the spring, the weather in Jerusalem can swing wildly during the day. It can be really hot during the day but then quite chilly at night. So be sure you have a thick sweater with you for your stay in the convent during the evenings.

The breakfast is also quite basic, but healthy. There is free wi-fi in the reception area (which was so reliable and fast that it would put the wi-fi provided by much more expensive hotels around the world to shame).

Security is also excellent here. You have to buzz through two doors to get into the covnent and, as the convent is next to one of the American consulate buildings, there is a constant security presence in the area.

There is also a supermarket just a couple of minutes up the street where you can buy water and other essentials. If you're a bit of a coffee addict like me, there's a very nice modern but cozy coffee shop called Kadosh about a 10 minute walk away (close to the Old City and the Mamilla Mall). They also have yummy healthy salads there as well as scrumptious desserts.

The guest house is not luxurious. But if you're looking for a safe place to simply put your head down at night and want to save money for other things on your trip, you are going to be hard pressed to find a better place than this.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Impossible to over-emphasize the pefect location....425 meter walk NW (entirely through a park) to the #1 pedestrian street area (Beh Yehuda St.) with the many shops and sidewalk cafes and street musicians, a 1 km walk east (use a good street map) to the Old City's Jaffa Gate.
The setting (and museum-like exhibits and peaceful, spacious grounds) were ideal; good breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay here! Jerusalem is an amazingly vibrant, busy and fairly noisy city, it really was a joy to be able to come back to such a peaceful and sheltered dwelling at the end of every day to relax and sleep well before the next days adventure!

The guest house is part of a large convent complex, complete with arched high ceilings, period decor, museum style historical pieces in cabinets that show the life and history of the early convent from inception up to modern times, a beautiful church and even a pretty little formal garden with paths, gates and statues. All of this is enclosed behind high outer walls with a secure front gate that you buzz when you wish to come back in. The amazing this is that with all this, you are still only a few short blocks walk from the old city of Jerusalem and actually we were happier staying outside the old city.

We found the Guest House totally charming and the staff were very helpful too. Whether we needed advice about how to get somewhere, where to shop or eat, which tour might be good or to book a taxi, no matter what our query they were always there with the answer and assistance.

Breakfast was very typical of Israel as well, cereals, breads to toast or have as rolls, scrambled eggs or hard boiled, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, home made jams, yogurts, cheeses etc. Most places we stayed had similar offerings and it was good and fresh here too.

We stayed in winter and the ceilings are high, the walls thick stone, so the building can be a bit cold. However our room had a modern reverse cycle air conditioner / heater. So we really weren't bothered by the cold at all, we were able to keep the room well heated when needed or turn it down and use more blankets, depending on preference.

The rooms all have single beds that are simple, but nice sheets, towels and furnishings and everything is clean and pretty. The bathroom wasn't huge, but again it had all we needed and the hand held shower head was a bonus. It took a while for the hot water to arrive up to our room and I felt bad about wasting water meanwhile, but there was always plenty of hot water available and it made for a good shower experience.

I took my own laptop and there was free WIFI in the main sitting rooms of the Guest house, so that worked well. Lots of comfy sofas and period pieces made the atmosphere quaint and welcoming. There is also a small kitchen for quests to use were you can make free tea and coffee and also do a bit of simple cooking on a hot plate and in the microwave, so that was a bonus on a few occasions when we didn't feel like going out to eat.

The price was modest compared to other nearby hotels and we felt it was excellent value! I couldn't find any online booking, so ended up calling directly. The sister I spoke with was very helpful, answered all my questions and made the booking easily.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rockville Centre, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

There is no better location for viewing the Old City of Jerusalem and its surrounding communities. It is located in a substantial gated property that is beautifully maintained. Our rooms were clean, comfortable, and basic: No phones or television. Since we use our accommodations for sleeping and are not interested in lounging around it served our purposes. The staff, laymen and religious are courteous and helpful. Breakfast comes with the rooms but is meager (hot drinks, hard boiled eggs, cold meats, etc.) compared to Israeli hotel breakfasts. I have stayed in many of Israel's five star hotels and while this guest house does not attempt to compete with their amenities it does stack up well in the basic comfort department and at 20% of the price. While we were there, for three days, several groups of young Catholics came through and everyone we spoke to gave it a big thumbs up.

Room Tip: Reserve as far in advance as you can, although we got desirable rooms at the last minute.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Niceville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Pros
Best parking in Jerusalem, close to the Old City and very secure
Wonderful value
Perfect for Christian pilgrims needing a peaceful and relatively cheap place to stay
The sisters are friendly and helpful
Breakfast is simple, but delicious

Things to consider
You must be respectful of the peace, because this guesthouse is also a convent.
There is a curfew of approximately 10:30pm

Room Tip: Go in when the weather is nice because I don't think AC is available
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Excellently placed just outside to Old City (10 mins walk) - it was great to go back there from the hussle and bussle of the cily to peace and quiet. Sr Pascal and Dimitri on reception - were kindness itself during our stay of 8 days. They organised tours and booked a sherut to collect us and take us back to the airport. Rooms are simple and basic and there was seating and dining area in the corridor outside our rooms where we could relax. Breakfast was fine, would have liked real coffee rather than instant and it would have been nice if the menu was varied rather getting same choice day after day. Good value for money and would certainly stay there again if we returned to Jerusalem.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel? Share your experiences!