“Loved Our Stay at Christ Church Guesthouse” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Christ Church Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Christ Church Guest House
You added Christ Church Guest House to your Saves list
Jaffa Gate | Old City, Jerusalem 91140, Israel (Christian Quarter)   |
Ranked #14 of 53 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Beaverton, Oregon
“Loved Our Stay at Christ Church Guesthouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Excellant stay at Christ Church Guesthouse. Loved the location near Jaffa Gate and the proximity of location in relation to transportation. Walking being the best though! It felt very secure and safe. Friendly and helpful service. Located next to the Police station which added another measure of safety to our stay. Easy access to any part of the city we wanted to visit. Excellant air conditioning was a blessing in the hot of the August month and we appreciated its value. Meals were ample enough if you wanted to avail yourself of them though not the cost was not included in the stay. Excellant price for those who want to stay within the Old City and experience it. Individual tours were made available to other nearby cities such as Bethlehem and Bethany for a very resonable cost. Easy access to group tours as well ( Egged Tours ) to nearby sites such as Masada, Dead Sea, Sea of Galilee etc. Taxi service right outside your door and numerous eating establishments close by though small were more than adequate. Overall very friendly people and we had a very enjoyable time and would reccomend Christ Church Guesthouse, especially to those who want to watch their money and stay within the Old City Walls. Karyl Dalbey

• Liked — Location, Safety factor, price, friendly service.
  • Disliked — Could have been a little cleaner.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

If you want to stay in the old city (and you should) and you have a rented car to park, this is definitely the place. The gated complex is just inside the Jaffa Gate. It is very cool getting to drive in and out of the old city. One wing of the guest house is the former British Consulate, so some of the architecture is interesting. Breakfast is pretty good, which you can eat outside in the treed courtyard. Only some of the rooms have air conditioning, so be careful to get one of those if you visit in the summer. Shower water pressure is very low, but hey, that's not why you visit the old city, is it?

• Liked — Location and parking
  • Disliked — Some rooms lack A/C
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

Stayed here during a visit to Jerusalem. Rooms are quite small and bathroom too much. Breakfast was abundant and delicious. Quite a good place with plenty of calmness.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mountain View, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

I spent five nights at the Christ Church Guest House in December 2006. The guest house is located just inside the Jaffa Gate as part of a historic and attractive 19th century church complex. I must confess that I got a lot of negative feedback from Israelis about staying in the Christian Quarter of the Old City, and initially this made me nervous. However, I felt very safe in the guest house and getting to/from it. You can practically see the Jaffa Gate from the front door, and the area around Jaffa Gate is sufficiently busy and well-lighted that it felt safe even at night. There is a taxi stand at Jaffa Gate, so it was generally easy to get a taxi on demand, and it was a short (10 minute) walk up Jaffa Road to the Ben Yehuda shopping area. The guest house's location is a real asset.

Service-wise, the hotel is a notch above hostels, but only modestly. The rooms are spartan/no-frills (with lumpy beds, low quality blankets and tiny showers), the free breakfast buffer was competent but noticeably inferior to nicer Israeli hotels, and the front desk help for tourist needs was typically minimal. This is not a place I would take my wife (who likes luxury).

But as a single traveler looking for cheap, safe and quiet accommodations, I was satisfied. In particular, the guest house is a serene retreat from the hustle of the Old City, and the rooms lacked televisions and radios. I rarely heard traffic noise or my neighbors, and I had no problem getting a good night's sleep...so long as I went to bed early (the church bells in the Old City typically start ringing sometime shortly after 6).

Finally, as a Jewish traveler, I was a little nervous about staying at an Anglican operation. One morning out of the 5, the property operator read a short devotional (about 5 minutes) at breakfast. It wasn't too intrusive or overly denominational, and I just ignored it. However, I did stay at the guest house over Christmas evening, and it was a little chaotic during that time. Otherwise, the religious aspects of the property were not a factor.

In conclusion, I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend people to stay at the guest house; but if all of my accommodations were as satisfactory as this place, on balance I'd be a happier traveler.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

My mom and I stayed here. we loved it and it
was so close to everything.
The breakfast was great as well as
the people who work there.
I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

After reading positive reviews and getting positive feedback from people I know who stayed at Christ Church, I was very disappointed when I arrived and during my stay. We had a private family room. The beds were clean but the floors were filthy. We had problems getting clean towels. The toilet paper ran out and we had to run down a cleaning person to get some for ourselves. The staff was rude. The parking is free, IF they allow you to bring in your vehicle, and if there is a concert or activity at the church, they are very distressed and discourage guests from parking in the church parking area provided for guests. I travel to Israel at least every 6-9 months. I will not ever stay at Christ Church again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Marin County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

Had a wonderful stay at Christ Church Guest house last month (June 2006, $50 single, $80 double, $80 family). The staff was very accomodating and friendly, facilities were clean and well maintained, and there is a lovely garden plus the rates include plentiful Israeli breakfast. This is not a fancy place, that doesn't matter because best of all is it's inside the walls of the Old City! I have stayed in Jerusalem before, but never in the Old City, and I gotta say, I don't think I will stay in West Jerusalem again after this experience. We were able to walk all over the Old City (and felt safe in all Quarters, including at the Temple Mount mosque), and just easily stroll back to the hotel for a break anytime we wanted. We also like to walk/run for exercise, and getting up early in the morning to experience the streets and alleys was amazing. If anyone has any security concerns, please set them aside, because it IS safe, and go to see this incredible gem of history, culture and religion, an ancient city that is still a real living, working, breathing city today.

Another thing we liked about staying at Christ Church was it's proximity to Nafura, an very good restaurant about a 3-minute walk from the hotel. It's at 18 Latin Patriarch Road --coming in from Jaffa Gate, turn left on Latin Patriach (follow signs to Gloria Hotel) -- it's on the left just beyond the Gloria Hotel. This restaurant has wonderful food served by very gracious hosts. It also has a lovely garden with fountain (nafura in Arabic) set RIGHT NEXT TO the Old City Wall. Where else can you have dinner under the stars in a garden next to a city wall that is many hundreds of years old? We had the menu of the day for 75 shekels, which included abundant mezzas and chicken+kebab. With half bottle of good Israeli wine, the entire meal was $53 for 2 (excluding tip).

Also for any shoppers, in the Old City 21k gold and oriental carpets in the Christian and/or Moslem Quarters are good values (you must bargain on carpets to get the value).

As a side note, we also went to Tel Aviv, and highly recommend the following restaurants there: Lukas, The Coffee Bar, The Brasserie, Sebastian (Herzelia), Manta Ray, Raof et Athina (Jaffa), Etzel Pini Ba'hatzer (south towards Jaffa). We stayed at the Home Apartments there, 1 block from Frishman beach. At $55/night, an amazing bargain, again not fancy, but clean and very adequate.

Been to Christ Church Guest House? Share your experiences!