“Amazing Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Jerusalem
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed in the hotel in December for 2 weeks. all the staff was very helpful such as Munir and his assistant Manuel at the front desk to ari at the concierge. This is the only hotel to stay at in Jerusalem. The service is A+

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
My many thanks for such wonderful praise, we’re proud to have earned it and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My stay at the Citadel was made very comfortable by Munir Salmon, manager at the front desk because he catered to my every request (from room type upgrade to meal planning and last minute changes) with efficiency, professionalism and a smile!

Room Tip: I loved the corner room facing Mamilla which was large and spacious.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Munir really is wonderful at providing the service we believe all of our guests are entitled to – professional, attentive and friendly. We’re all happy to do the same and make you comfortable on your next stay with us.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family stayed 7 days at The David Citadel and were blessed with the service of Ata Bayah in the breakfast room. Whatever few shortcomings the hotel had were made up by the excellent morning service provided by Ata. He was so helpful and so friendly that breakfast became something all of us looked forward to. He kept pouring the coffee, cleaning up spills and fulfilling everyone's needs no matter how busy he was. He always smiled and was unflappable. He was amazing. Thanks to The Citadel for employing such a fine person.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Ata does indeed exemplify the service we consider our priority, and your praise is wonderfully rewarding. Thank you! I’m so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Pleasant Valley, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great location near the old city and rooms are as good as they get in Israel. Service is very spotty and the food is overpriced. Rooms need an updating, and there are limited services on Shabbat as the hotel is observant. Do not expect the Four Seasons and I am surprised that it is on the Conde Nast Gold List, however, if you are willing to pat top dollar knowing you will not get your money's worth, this is the best option in town

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony overlooking the old city
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back for improved experiences.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights here while touring with a group. The amenities and location were wonderful. There were a few problems with the room but they were quickly remedied. I would have appreciated free wifi since the cost to purchase it was way too high. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. One thought stuck with me. When we arrived and approached the front desk we were greeted with "welcome home". How lovely.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We love nothing better than providing a home-away-from-home for our guests; I’m delighted you enjoyed it. We look forward to welcoming you back home again soon.
Safed Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel. We paid an exorbitant price for an alcove deluxe room.The first room we rejected as it had a view of the wall of the hotel, the second room had a slightly better outlook, at least we could see further than the other rooms of the hotel.The room was small and felt dingy and the rug was very worn and shabby. The wifi was temperamental and we paid a daily fee. The breakfast was in a room that was so unrelaxing that I felt as if I was sitting in the middle of a highway. The staff were rushing around and looking so harassed but I'm not sure what they were doing- I asked twice for a coffee - it finally came without a spoon or milk. We also witnessed an argument between the staff and a customer and after the dispute was finished the staff started to imitate the lady although we couldn't understand what they were saying it was obvious that they were being very derogatory. This was highly unprofessional. We were told fruit would be delivered to our room when we checked in but we never received it. Skip this seedy hotel, walk 10 minutes up the hill, and experience the warmth and professionalism that makes the King David Hotel so special.

Room Tip: To choose a good room book at the King David Hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I’m so very sorry we failed to provide our usual superb hospitality. Outstanding service is very important to us and I regret your disappointment; we’d welcome the opportunity to restore your faith.
Scarsdale, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I spent 6 nights in a junior suite at the Citadel and had the worst experience of my life. Arriving at night after touring for the day I was met with a heavy perfume that permeated the entire hotel. I asked about this odor at the front desk later that night. My request to see the manager of the hotel was flatly denied. Hanoch at the front desk said he would investigate this and he would have a manager get back to me. In the ensuing 2 days I spoke with Hanoch about never hearing from a manager nor what caused this problem. He said he knows and that's all he can do. I was treated in a unprofessional, disrespectful and inconsiderate manner. As a result of this perfume I developed a severe exacerbation of my asthma and only because I am a physician and have steroids with me was I able to avoid going to the hospital. If I had a choice I would have moved out of the hotel before I checked in but there were no rooms available to accommodate me and my family. My Israeli guide also discussed my complaints with the front desk but had no different response. I was only able to use the hotel for breakfast and a place to sleep.
When I checked out I again asked to speak with the manager of the hotel, Chemi Gur. The Guest Relations, Amira Lauer, was the only person to come talk to me. I explained the situation and expressed my disappointment, anger, disrespectful treatment. She states the perfume is being blown through the ventilating system of the hotel and can't and won't be stopped. Hanoch should have known that. Also as I am checking out their is nothing she can do for me except to apologize. So please beware of the David Citadel Hotel!!!! My experience is they don't care about their client's health and welfare, they are disrespectful and Amira really wishes I had reached her sooner. ???? Not to mention on our arrival the suite had two light bulbs in key locations that didn't work, no tissues in the room and a big hair ball behind the bathroom door by the shower. Was the room clean, I don't know.
I bought a wifi card to use for a week, the connection was so slow websites would need 15+ minutes to load. The front desk was aware that the wifi was not functioning well and told I need to bring the card down to get the charge taken off my bill.
I do know the teaching at The Cornell University School of Hotel Management is, the key to successful hospitality and hotel management is to anticipate your clients needs before they are aware of what they are themselves. This hotel flunks!!!!!!
I've traveled around the world and never, ever been treated so poorly in my life!!!

I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE MANAGER OF THE HOTEL, CHEMI GUR IS SOOO
IMPORTANT HE CAN'T PERSONALLY ATTEND TO A SERIOUS HEALTH COMPLAINT IN HIS HOTEL!
After spending over $5,000 in his hotel you would think he could spare a few minutes of his time.

Jerusalem in a great place to visit with your family but DO NOT STAY AT THE DAVID CITADEL!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I sincerely apologize we did not handle this situation better and provide the usual superb service we strive for. We’ve examined the details and will see such an incident does not recur.

Been to David Citadel Hotel? Share your experiences!