“A great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reading UK
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This hotel met our expectations and then some. Every single member of staff was courteous, cheerful and helpful. The rooms were great, very quiet and large. A mistake had been made with our booking (we requested interconnecting rooms) and when we went up, the rooms were not interconnecting. Although the hotel was very busy, as it was the weekend of the Jerusalem marathon, the reception staff bent over backwards and eventually upgraded us to a mini suite to accomodate our requirements. Mistakes happen, its how they are dealt with that matters.

The hotel location is great, a short walk to the old city but well connected to main roads if going further afield.

We ate in the bar restaurant and the food was great, big portions and very tasty. Fish fingers, for my 6 year old, were made with salmon!!!

Checkout was a breeze, and our travel arrangements, to and from the airport, that were made by the hotel, were on time and faultless.

Staff did not hang around for a tip, but I gave some none-the-less, because everything was so smooth.

Not cheap, but you get great value for money. I hope that this hotel maintains the standard, as we hope to go to Jerusalem again soon and would not look for another hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
I’m delighted you so enjoyed the hospitality we take great pride in providing. It is our goal to exceed expectations and we appreciate your letting us know we did. Many thanks for such praise and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My evaluation of the David Citadel may be colored by my previous experience at the King David, one of my favorite hotels. The two hotels are polar opposites. The traditional King David has unsurpassed service and an air of history and romance. The David Citadel is larger, noisier, and, despite the modern entrance, the hotel rooms reminded me of a mid-class anonymous hotel chain. We had a lovely view of the Jaffe Gate, but our expensive internet failed to work with my husband's ipad2 and we had the problem every day when we renewed our WiFi. The management was nice enough to allow us to use the Executive Lounge and its computers. The buffet was large, but the quality was not A+.

Room Tip: I recommend the Executive rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
The two hotels do indeed offer different aspects of luxury hospitality. I’m so sorry the Wifi connection presented some difficulty and hope the Executive Lounge offered a convenient and pleasurable alternative; it’s very special and our guests enjoy it greatly. We hope to have another opportunity to provide the superb hospitality we are well loved for.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

It always annoys me that even at this roommate there is an additional 65 shekels per day charge for WiFi use. There is no coffee/tea set in the room. The breakfast quality is quite average. The interesting thing is that breakfast in the dining room is charged at 135 shekels and in the room 30 or 75 for the all in option. The doorman does not really handle the door nor luggage. And by the way: there is an extra charge for parking the car.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
I’m happy you enjoyed the facility and sincerely regret you were disappointed with your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have been visiting Jerusalem for nearly 40 years. In recent years, I only stay at the David Citadel. The rooms are perfectly designed, the view of the Old City is inspiring, the heated pool in the winter is a treat, the fitness room is superb, the breakfast is excellent. In short, as someone who traveled over 250,000 Kms last year, and will do so again this year, I consider this one of my favorites in terms of service and reliability. The proximity to the Mamilla mall and the Old City is real plus. Unless you are wedded to history and simply must stay at the over-expensive, stodgy King David, choose this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the center with a straight-on view of the Old City.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
I’d like to express our appreciation for your loyal business and friendship. Your words bring us great pride and pleasure at having succeeded in providing such superb hospitality for you and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more wonderful experiences.
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

excellent hotel,,great location. wonderful breakfast, and freindly attentive (without being in your face) serice throughout our stay. nothing negative here. there is a shortcut to the old city from the mall across the street, you can ask someone if you want to walk

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Just right service - friendly, attentive, professional and comfortable is a priority, thus your compliments are much appreciated. I thank you for your lovely review and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Corona del Mar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Upon arriving at the David Citadel after crossing from Jordan over the Allenby bridge, we were all tired and ready to unwind. Our daughters are 13 and 11. This hotel gave us that and then some. We had adjoining rooms overlooking the old city. The rooms were spacious and bright. The gym and pool are great. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, with lots of delicious and healthy choices-all kosher. You walk everywhere from here. There are great restaurants nearby. There's a wonderful shopping area a couple of blocks away. We happened to be there during Ramadan. While a lot of people may be hesitant to go to Israel from the US, we can say we never felt unsafe. When we return in a couple of years, we will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Many thanks for such compliments. We are indeed family oriented and it is very important to us that families enjoy both the luxuries of superb hospitality and a wonderful family experience. How delightful that you did! I look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Jerusalem.
Oz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012 via mobile

I came with 9 of us in a tour. This hotel is located about 15 mins walk to the Jaffa Gate. Best location for those who wanted to walk around in the old city after the tour.

Our tour includes breakfast & dinner. They have wide range of selection of food for breakfast & dinner. Dinner we have a choice of 2 restaurants. They serve the best quality of food. You could even order pizza for dinner.

All their staff are extremely polite, courteous and professional when serving us with an exception staff named Hanoock (I think that is how it's spelled). He was the only one that I had to deal with who is rude. On the first day, we were welcomed with a plate of fruits & biscuits. As I am the organiser of this tour group did not received this, so I went to the reception to request as to why i did not received this. Hek told me rudely and loudly that the fruit platter will be sent to my room. However, he did not arrange this. It was after the next day when my tour guide told the reception, they were sent very promptly to my room. I am very impressed of the promptness. Those at the reception were so apologetic about this.

Chocolate every evening when they placed the breakfast order on your bed.

However, all the rest of my team of nine thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Just for your information, if you want a kettle, you need to organize with room- service to bring it up for you. They will charge you with about NIS 216 which would be refunded back when you return it to them before checkout. Whole day - 24 hr unlimited internet is only NIS 65 which is very reasonable.

It's definitely a hotel I will definitely bring my tour group back to when visiting Jerusalem again. I would definitely recommend those who are visiting Jerusalem to pick this hotel. You'll definitely experienced the 5 star service in this luxurious hotel. Only try to avoid being served by Hanooch. You'll definitely have the best service experience. It's worth the price we pay for staying here.

• Stayed March 2012
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review and for so many compliments; we’re proud to have earned them. I am sorry that one incident hindered an otherwise perfect experience and look forward to hosting you all again soon.

Been to David Citadel Hotel? Share your experiences!