“Location good, quirky 2-star quality” 3 of 5 stars

Jerusalem Gold Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   234 Jaffa Road, Jerusalem 94383, Israel   |
Ranked #60 of 90 Hotels in Jerusalem
carlisle
“Location good, quirky 2-star quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The location is brilliant, above 2 excellent shopping malls, next door to super side-street local market, adjacent to wonderful tram stop on single easy line into Jaffa Gate or Jaffa Center (both good for evenings).
Otherwise, the main good points were the owner and the fron desk manager who were both exceedingly helpful in calling taxis and sorting external minor issues.
After that, its all rather odd, poor or very disappointing.
Food service is one of the most limited at the price level (we've stayed in about 7 different hotels on similar trips); room cleaning desperately needs a new training session... towels not replaced, bed not made )other than top just pulled over), supplies not replenished even after two requests, no hair dryer or iron in room (communal iron is stuffed into a corner of an managers office!).
If you can get good price, I'd say its OK.
No feather pillows, either!

Room Tip: The '4th' floor is actually only one level above reception, so you can skip the lift and do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I spent four nights at the Jerusalem Gold Hotel and it was a disappointing experience. My room was not clean and the decor of the room was tired (including stained lampshades). A number of people in our group had problems with towels/wash cloths not being left in their rooms. The elevators were not adequate to serve the number of guests and, as a result, there were long waits at the elevator. The alternative was taking the stairs (the stairwells were not particularly clean) - this, however, revealed fire code issues with mattresses and other items being stored in the stairwells.

The meals were good, but there were issues in both the dining room and bar with dishes not
being clean. One of the two computers available in the lobby was never working during our stay. There was no evidence of environmental initiatives being in place.

Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I came to Jerusalem for a spiritual break with family.
We arrived in a hotel far from city center but well deserved (excepted on friday and saturday).
Did not slept at all as groups of young people drunk making noise on each floor. Security totally useless obliged the client to call the Police.
No support at all from direction when asked, but only arrogance and incompetence.
Dirty floors and room not cleaned. bathroom very dirty and shower broken.
So many details that makes that I would have prefer to sleep in a car rather than in this fake "4 stars" hotel.

Room Tip: Do not go in this hotel. If still you want to go, and you are in 3 in a room, please know that the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

If your thinking of staying at this hotel then I hope my comments will be helpful to you.. I just returned from there (October 2012), having stayed for 5 nights and can generally say it is a nice hotel, but in need of a face lift as the decor and furniture seemed dated and tired looking. My room was comfortable - they made the beds, emptied the bins and changed the towels everyday, but I found the towels they replaced were stained from previous guests using them so wasn't sure if they were clean for me to use on occasions. There was no hairdryer in the room so you had to ask for one at the reception. I was too scared to open the window in case I couldn't close it again at night as they had stuffed some sort of foam in between the frame to jamb it shut. The curtain was half hanging off the rail so was awkward to pull/close in the evening (I left it for the staff to do in the end). The side lamps, furniture and upholstery was old and worn out with lots of stains to the carperting. The place looks like it's due for a refurb if you ask me. When I arrived on the first night the shower didn't work, the television wasn't working and the safe was broken. I reported it straightaway and was told someone would pop up in 10mins, however it took 3 more calls and a visit to the reception desk at 11pm to get it sorted as was fed up of waiting all evening and just wanted to go to bed. On the plus side, the food in the restaurant was very good most evenings, (even on Shabbat), and there was plenty of variety to choose from at breakfast. I think if your planning on travelling through and only staying for a short while, ie. 2/3 nights in Jerusalem then this hotel is okay but not for a long trip or holiday as you'd want a little bit more than just the basic accommodation, plus there's no pool or spa if you wanted to relax after a long hot day walking around the city. On the last night there was a huge crowd at reception as guests were returning their hairdryers or settling their bills - they tried to overcharge me for six nights and I had to insist I had only been staying with them for five (very disappointing). Overall I think the staff were courteous and polite considering the amount of complaints they were getting from guests but I think they could all do with a refresher course on customer care as well.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on lower floors overlooking the main road and tram line as the noise will keep you awake...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Springfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After a long day of travel, we arrived at 5:30pm. The lobby was full of another tour group waiting for their rooms, so many of us had no place to sit. They had arrived at 5:15pm. The story we were given was that it was a Moslem holiday, all the help is Moslem, so no one showed up for work. Now, it WAS a 2-day Moslem holiday, but if you run a large business with a Moslem staff, don't you know this ahead of time and make alternative arrangements??? Supposedly, some "volunteers" came to clean the rooms. About 5:45pm the first group was given free beer and wine for their inconvenience. About 6pm another tour group arrived. The lobby was now full with around 100 people. The apparent person in charge, Ariella, kept telling everyone the rooms would be ready soon. None of the rest of us were ever given beer or wine, and when someone asked, Ariella said "no." Suddenly, everyone on floor 9 had their rooms ready. There was a long line for the two very small and very slow elevators. We never got to our room until after 7pm, and we heard some went as late as 9pm.

The room was adequate but there was no stopper in the wash basin and the refrigerator did not work. The following day when housekeeping changed the towels, they did not leave face cloths. We stayed here 4 nights, and twice we received no face cloths. The worst part, for me, was that on 2 nights they apparently did not make the bed properly, the bottom sheet and matress cover came off, and I found myself in the morning on the bare matress. This was not appreciated at all. The other 2 nights were fine. I have no clue what they did or didn't do, but there was definitely something not done correctly when they put the bottom sheet on.

Several of us tried to use the computer in the lobby but everyone in our group was always told it was "broken." It was noted on two occasions, however, that a couple of people of another ethnic group were able to get on the internet. Was it broken only for Westerners???

The food at breakfast and dinner was fine, but we noticed that we didn't have as many selections as we had at two previous hotels. This cannot possibly be a 4-star hotel. I'd give it a 2 at best, and I'm being kind.

Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

After a 15 hours flight + connections around the Globe just to get here... you may fantasize to be in hotel paradise, receive by a great crew who may leave a last minute chocolate in your pillow and a bottle with mineral water in your minibar... well no... nothing compare to what happened to us.

We came to Jerusalem for a 10 days stay and we found this hotel AWFUL. We arrive very early in the morning and there was nobody but the recepcionist. We were only women in the group so he rudly requested us to carry our bags... really? after a very long plane trip are you really asking me to carry my own bags? Where do they teach those manners?

Breakfast Place: you have no windows, no views, no spoons or cups, no toast maker on.... so if you wanna have a """"complete breakfast"""", try it at your place.

Rooms: are too small, lights may not be functioning as well, no minibar, towells in depends on the managers mood, internet as well... cleaning people always find a way to wake you up, no matter what sign you have left at the door. They don´t really care. They knock out loud the doors or they are able to open them while you are sleeping... i´m still trembling when i recall that day.

As somebody says i share his/her bottom line: Unless you enjoy being treated as a major inconvenience and nuisance, do NOT stay at the Jerusalem Gold.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Great Neck, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here for three nights with a large group. One day, I noticed I had lost my camera. I thought I had lost it at a nearby park, but on my last day there, one of the staff found me and told me they found it in the breakfast room. They have plenty of space to host big groups and the rooms are very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jerusalem Gold Hotel? Share your experiences!