“happy hanukka” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 90 Hotels in Jerusalem
London, England, United Kingdom
“happy hanukka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed at the Dan panorama for about a week on Hanukkah.
We had a really great time, the hotel staff made a big effort to make our Hanukkah an enjoyable one.
This is not our first time at the Dan panorama, and we new that our stay would be as good as the last time we visited.
My husband had a meeting in the city center, and the fact that the hotel was close to his meeting place, was a plus.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This hotel was perfect for our large family traveling together. It is walking distance from many of the tourist sites but also shopping and restaurants. We felt safe walking at any time of night and also were comfortable leaving an 11 and 13 year old in the room alone for a few hours. The buffet in the morning was fabulous--something for every taste, and the evening buffet was excellent too (but not free). Everything worked well (air conditioning and heating, as well as bathroom fixtures) and the beds were comfortable. The only negative was that the internet wi fi was not free. These days, every other hotel we stay at has free wi-fi.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and that is far enough away from lobby noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Abbeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I stayed at the hotel in my last business trip and had an excellent experience. The hotel is in a great location at walking distance from down town Jerusalem and from the Old City which allowed me to tour it when I had a moment of free time. The room was comfortable and clean, the staff was great and the breakfast is just excellent. The hotel offers a great value for your money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I stayed here during the Xmas/New Year week as a 1/2 price alternative to the King David, which my fancier friends were staying at, just around the corner. At check-in I was informed my room was upgraded to an "executive" room - I have no idea what this really means, but the room I got was TINY. Very, very small - akin to the smaller European or NYC rooms - and I was surprised, because rooms this small, in my experience, are not that common in Israel. I had a large suitcase and there was hardly anywhere to even set it down in the room.

I suspect that "executive" is something like "bachelor" - i.e., a tiny room meant for a single adult.

Anyway, the bathroom was newly redone, in very nice/modern shape, and the bed and furniture were adequate.

The breakfast buffet is not the best I've ever had in Israel, but solid. If you aren't used to Israeli breakfasts, you will be impressed. If you have seen many Israeli breakfasts, you will think this one is just....ok, decent.

What I really am grateful to this hotel for, though, is that I absentmindedly left a stack of clothes in the room, and when I called the hotel manager, they connected me to the security manager, and they found my stuff in the room, and were nice enough to bag it up and send it to me immediately in Tel Aviv, via taxi driver. The cab fare wasn't cheap but I got all of my stuff back and I'm very thankful for that.

FYI, my friends who paid exorbitant rates at the King David weren't terribly impressed with their rooms. If you're looking for a very adequate, reasonable place to stay in J'lem, that is still a nice large hotel, versus one of the tinier boutiques....this is it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

You could come to this hotel and have a perfectly pleasant stay, and leave happy, or it can be a bit of a nightmare. I've been to two rooms here (in one stay - details below), and the difference was night and day, so I thought I'd share my tips and experience here.

First some basics important stuff:
- The hotel is not far from the Old City (Jaffa Gate). Took us about 15 minutes walk, and so also not too far from restaurants in the new city. If you are planning to walk around, then the location is pretty good.

- There are smoking and non-smoking rooms, and as a previous reviewer mentioned, the check-in staff won't voluntarily ask you which you prefer, so if you do have a preference make sure you emphasise this. Don't assume you will be put in a non-smoking room.

- There is free parking at the hotel, some outside the front entrance, and some in the underground parking garage. But the number of spaces is quite limited, and they are allocated on a first-come first-served basis, so if you are booking over a busy period, it's not a given you'll get a space. I'm not sure what the alternative option is. If you are disabled, there are several disabled bays.

- The hotel seems to cater for a lot of tour groups (or at least it did when we arrived). We didn't have to queue for very long though.

- If you are sensitive to scents: the hotel's cleaning regime seems to bathe the whole building in what smells like zesty summer blossom bathroom air freshener. This is perhaps to counteract the smell from smokers, but the effect can be quite overwhelming, especially in rooms just after they've been cleaned. Thankfully, the windows can be opened.

- If you are sensitive to noise, make sure you say so when checking in (or better, when booking). Our original room was right next to the lifts (elevators), had a noisy main road outside, a not-so-sound-proofed double-glazed window and, in addition, had paper-thin walls and a (locked) door to the next-door room that carried sound, so it felt like we took part in the neighbouring family's every argument. When we were moved to a better room, suddenly we had the bliss of silence.

-Wifi is not free. Just so you know.

Now for the rooms
- The first room we got was awful. Apart from the noise from three sides (see above), the furniture was tattered, the bathroom badly maintained, and the whole feeling was of a bad motel from the 70's. I know we booked a standard room, but I would seriously not have considered it an appropriate standard for the money. Or otherwise.

- When we were finally moved, we got an excellent room, quite, roomy and clean, and pretty much great, apart from said zesty whiff.

So, this would explain the different reviews you would see about this hotel.

Customer Service
- The hotel is obviously aware of its own issues, so employs a customer relations manager at the front desk to deal with complaints and issues (not sure that's his real title; he was presented to us as a PR manager). He did his best to assist, but it seemed to me that like other nice and friendly staff he was a little restricted in what he could do to help.
- The above is actually one of the main problems, in that staff at the front desk, however friendly and efficient, are not empowered to take crucial decisions to help customers (for example, change rooms), and so, every time they have to defer to a manager, who is hidden in some back office. As a result we were asked twice to wait (first for 30 minutes, then for an hour) until the manager could take a decision on how to help. This can get a little frustrating, especially if you are pressed for time.

Our own experience
- We booked one night at the hotel, and arrived just before 2pm to fill the last remaining parking space.
- When we got there, our room was not ready, so we were told to come back in an hour. We weren’t very happy (we're only in Jerusalem for 24 hours), but came back after 90 minutes, and our room was still not ready. The front desk had to wait until a manager became available and finally at 4pm (2 hours after the official check-in time) we were given our room keys. The receptionist told us that we were upgraded. In fact, we got a terrible room (if this was an upgrade, I dread to think what a worse room could be).
- We said that following all this wait they could at least give us free wifi, but the receptionist said she couldn't. Finally, after a discussion with the customer relations manager we got our free wifi.
- It soon became apparent that the room was so noisy and the standard was really quite depressing, that we couldn't hope to have a good night's sleep there, so off we went to the front desk. Again, the receptionist was friendly and apologetic, but had to defer to a manager who was not available. In the end, 90 minutes later we finally got moved.
- Behind me in the queue was an angry family who booked executive rooms but were fuming about what they got instead.

When everything finally got sorted we got to see the other side of this hotel. A nice clean room with an excellent standard. Would I book again? Only if I could know for sure what I was getting, and perhaps if the aerosols were used a bit more sparingly so I wouldn't feel like I was inside the perfumed powdered wig of a courtesan.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear guest,
We thank you for the kind words regarding the location of the hotel as it is a big plus being so close to banks, restaurants and so many more attractions.
The hotel takes all reviews very seriously and all your remarks are of great value to us to continue improve our services, we apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced during your stay.
We would like to assure you that all proper measures are been taken.
Sincerely yours
The Management
Tarrytown,NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel in DEC 2011 for one night. We had a pleasant experience with the front desk-zahi. He made a positive effort to accommodate us. The hotel has rooms set for smokers. Nobody asked us to book non smoking rooms and we found that we were on a smokers level with no option to change due to full capacity.
The Gym is very limited and busy.
The room was too warm with no ability to reduce the temp as the HVAC was set for heating only.
The breakfast veraiaty is fine but not outstanding like other 4-5 * hotels in Israel . It is enough but not comparable.
All in all not worth almost $300 per night if you have a better choice.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear valued guest,
Your response is highly appreciated.
We would like to assure you that all proper measures are been taken.
We will be very happy to have you as our guests in the future to your full satisfaction.
The Guest Relations Department.
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stayed five nights at the Dan panorama Jerusalem as part of a tour group. The hotel was about a five to ten minute walk from the Jaffa Gate entrance to the old city. We only ate in the restaurant for the breakfast buffet which was very good. There were four restaurants only a two minute walk from the hotel. The rooms were quite large with enough space for two suitcases without tripping over anything. Reception was well organized and staff in all areas of the hotel were friendly and helpful. Good for families, couples and business.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel offer a better view of the old city.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Dan Panorama Jerusalem? Share your experiences!