“Mixed bag” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 93 Hotels in Jerusalem
Queens, NY
“Mixed bag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This place was good, not amazing. The location is fantastic, the beds are very comfortable and the breakfast is definitely AMAZING. Staff left something to be desired, however. The maid threw out my non-disposable razor and did not replace tea (I was here for 5 nights). They didn't follow guidelines on not replacing towels unless they were put on the floor/in the bathtub, which is annoying since Israel has water conservation issues. The front desk gave incorrect walking directions, resulting in my being lost for hours and they had the nerve to want to charge for me to leave another guest's bag at the front desk--didn't want to do it as a courtesy. One of the nights I was there I requested a wake up call but did not get one, which is very, very bad.

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony if you can. Very beautiful view from my balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This Hotel was in a perfect location for visiting Jerusalem. The food at breakfast and the restaurant is amazing. The service from the staff to check in early and the friendliness even at 2am was amazing. Thank you to Elliot Shay for that. I would recommend to check out the room before staying as some have been updated and some our outdated.

Room Tip: All rooms have a nice porch and good views. some are a bit older than others.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was with a group tour and stayed from 4/10/13 through 4/16/13 in Room 1115. Staying 6 days meant unpacking and placing personal belongings on open shelves in the closet. IT ONLY TOOK ONE DAY TO HAVE A PERSONAL ITEM STOLEN FROM THE SHELF!!!!!!!!!!!

DON"T EXPECT ANY TYPE OF QUICK RESPONSE OR ANY TYPE OF CONCERN...the front desk will send you to Security who are initially annoyed or distracted...in all I spoke with 3 different ones as they change shifts frequently during the day. The common first question was: "Are you sure?" Then, "We will investigate, check back with us tomorrow." Next day, it was "We will look at the film." Next day, "When are you leaving? You will need to file a report."

So, the report gets filled out 3 days after the incident and 1 day before I leave. GUESS WHAT THE OUTCOME WAS? "Sorry, found nothing."

I fill out a detailed Questionnaire and mail to the ownership group, FATTAL (i.e., "the largest hotel chain in Israel") . Upon returning home, they claim to have never received it. So, I scan and email copies.

The response from the hotel's ownership group, was YOU GUESSED IT...nothing. The "classic" line in their official response letter: "...we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotels."

What about a willingness to replace the item? [That would be silly...]

E Crow

Room Tip: Stay on low floors to avoid elevator "fun".
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Buena Park, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My mom and I stayed here for 4 nights and the rooms do NOT look like the photos on its website. Since my mom is a light sleeper, we wanted 2 twin beds but were given a king bed instead. Whenever one person turned, it would wake up the other person. The bed was comfortable, but several things needed improvement. The cabinet covering the minibar had broken off. The grout around the bathtub had mold. While soaking in the bathtub, I had to admire the sloppy job done around the sink to prevent leaking.

One night I kept waking up to the sound of something banging outside my window. It took a complaint to the front desk and several visits before they fixed the problem.

I wanted to call my kids back in the States with my phone card and asked the front desk for help. The lady at the reception said that if I used my own phone card, then I would be charged 1.4 NIS per call. When I got the bill, instead of being charged 2.8 NIS for the 2 calls I made, I was charged $41.44, equivalent of about 145 NIS! Complaining to the male clerk at the front desk did me no good. I asked to speak with the female clerk that told me I was only going to be charged 1.4 NIS. When that didn't help, she brought out the manager. After more than 45 minutes of haggling, he finally charged me 37 NIS instead of 145 NIS.

Do not stay here; there are lots of better hotels in Jerusalem for the price you pay at this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rancho Bernardo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel.the staff was very friendly, service was great, room clean, bed mattress firm, excellent food. This is the only hotel in Jerusalem that offers sit down dinner on Friday chabat according to our tour guide. The hotel has a very impressive elevator service, works like a train, very efficient. It was a very memorable experience for us. We were able to have late check out without charge. Hotel in a great location, walking distance to the old city and Ben Yuheda street with shops,restaurants. We had room with old city view,very awesome.

Room Tip: Higher floor with old city view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodmere, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Public amenities good, service excellent , in particular Elliot at the desk. Room ng. Had gnats - needed exterminator twice. bathroom floor tiles cracked - support bar in bath tub coming away from wall - duh mold around bath tub. food really good

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bolgatanga, , Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

You would definitely feel at home away from home when you are in Jerusalem and decide to stay at Leonardo Plaza Hotel. My stay there was fantastic and I have lots of fond memories. Clean rooms, clean beds, delicious food and excellent customer service is what you would be treated with. It is a beautiful experience you would not want to miss. Note to take the right elevators to the top on Fridays and Saturdays if you not a Jew or observing the Sabbath. Be ready to also eat cold food for breakfast on the Sabbath day (Saturday) when you are in Jerusalem.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business