“lock your suitcases” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Jerusalem
mettawa,il.
“lock your suitcases”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed here the last couple days of December. Rooms are adequate, hotel is well located, staff is friendly. Our problem is that a cashmere sweater of our daughter's disappeared from the room. We know she had it as it was a Christmas present and she was thrilled with it. We left it in the room while touring. It was gone when we came back. Front desk checked but it could not be found. They then told me that the contract I signed absolved them of any responsibility for lost or stolen items. I contacted them again after we got home and asked to speak with the owner. He never bothered to contact me. It seems to me that replacing one sweater would have been the standup thing to do when it was their fault for it's loss. They pride and advertise themselves with Tripadvisor so here is my review. If you stay here make sure you keep everything under lock and key.

Room Tip: keep your stuff locked
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were traveling to Jerusalem with our son, so we needed to sleep 3 people, comfortably and affordably. This was perfect. Large sitting area with a bed, and a separate room with a bed. Great location around the corner from Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall, light rail on Jaffa Road, shops on King George (across from Aroma coffee--say hello to Alon, the very animated manager!). Excellent service. WiFi a little weak--good for email and light web, but couldn't get a signal in the bedroom, only the sitting room. Around the corner from a pharmacy and a great bakery. Small entrance on King George, but a great great place. I'd return.

Room Tip: Splurge a bit and get a room in the King George wing, which is newer.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We arrived in Jerusalem by rental car, and I would not be honest if I didn't say this was hard to find, mostly because maps don't tell you Jaffa St. is closed to traffic and it is very difficult to find streets names. Sometimes they are on the side of buildings, but even then they are hard to read especially from a moving car in intense Jerusalem traffic. Then the entrance is tiny and soooo easy to miss since the numbers are sequential but with no pattern to distance between numbers. Once found, we were lucky enough to find a pullover spot on the street just a block up--where my husband sat with the car and I ran back to hotel. We were on a lengthy trip which included a cruise, so we had big and heavy luggage which I surely could not handle--but the "guy" at the desk was kind enough to call a couple of big guys who found my husband, the car, and mercifully the luggage which they brought to our studio room.
King George St. is where its happening--such a fun place to be, near everything. 1-2 blocks to Jaffa and the light rail, 20-25 minutes of strolling to Jaffa Gate in Old City, 20 minutes to the famous street market by foot and even only 25 minutes to the central bus station. Bus 99 the red hop on hop off bus stops within a block. There is a bakery next door.

Parking was an issue--Israel does not recognize disabled tags from other countries--so we were ticketed even on Shabat--the front desk at hotel misadvised us on this one. But it is only a 10 min. walk to the lot they recommend. We walked and walked and there was always just that wonderful sense of a bustling city right outside our door.

The studio was smallish, but functional--we looked out on Hahlstadrut St. Israel, like Egypt is a gritty country because there's so much blowing sand from the deserts--so the room is a little gritty, but not dirty --we liked having our windows open when possible. We liked it and its light contemporary look--and there was a cafe right under our window, so yes, you could hear people, but that is why you choose to reside in the center of the city. We absolutely would recommend staying here. Because it was a studio apt. I was not expecting daily maid service--and when we got it that was a pleasant surprise.

Be aware, tho, on the Shabat nothing is open--really nothing--so stockpile some real food in your refrig. We were grateful to find a Chinese place about 10 minutes away after we had walked to the Old City, followed the Via Dolorosa, walked over the Gethsemene and then walked around the whole perimeter of the Old City and taken a side trip to Bethlehem and walked the sites there. This was a Friday.We were famished and ready to eat anything and NOTHING was open and we had no food. Nothing means just that. Hooray for the Chinese.

With good directions from the front desk, on Saturday we were able to easily drive out of town (it felt like the parting of the sea) because of the Sabbath and head down to Mineral Beach on the Dead Sea in less than an hour. It was an incredible day at the beach and rollicking fun in the crazy water--but we were sure to get back before sunset and again easily navigated our car back to the hotel. Food was available at the Dead Sea.

The front desk was manned by young folks, but they were all knowledgeable, yet curious, and really helpful in any way they were asked.

In our journey around the city I did not see any regular hotel the location of which even began to compare with ours---who needs a lobby and fancy restaurant when the living world and the culture revealed is hanging out right at your doorstep?!

We are a long married couple in our late 60's and had been on the road for over a month when we got there--I think that should help to verify our opinions!

Room Tip: HAHISTadRDUT St.studio room 3rd floor worked for us
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the previous writer. Our 2-bedroom "suite" with 3 "beds" had nothing to do with the apartment we ended in. The second "bedroom" was part of the kitchen area, and had a vinyl coach as the 3rd "bed." The lack of windows and darkness reminded me of Soviet-era building.

The noise is a bigger issue - anytime the water runs from other apartments you can hear huge gushing and water heaters. Anytime another resident takes to the stairs, you can hear very loud clomping.

It is clean, and wonderfully located. But I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to anyone who is not desperate. It's cousin hotel, the Shamai Suites, is slightly better but also not acceptable.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Heidelberg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We arrived at our hotel with an idea of what the room and accommodation looked like as the City Center Jerusalem has a gallery of photos to look through. Wow were we surprised! Please take a moment to view OUR photo gallery!

The "split level" is actually TWO levels, meaning you walk in to the living/kitchen area (this is where my daughter slept) and went down a very narrow spiral staircase to the bedroom/bath area. We were fine but it would have been difficult to navigate these stairs if you have ANY trouble with balance or have large suitcases. Having to navigate these stairs to use the bathroom or bring down a cup of coffee wasn't fun.

I really only mention the above in case you have any difficulties navigating a tight spiral staircase. The real problem is with the cleanliness of the place and the lack of honesty in the photo gallery. Again, please look at our photos....

Housekeeping is quite lax as you can see from the photos. I actually did ask for our bathroom to be cleaned as there were clumps of hair that were in the bath area which were definitely not ours. This was not done. Another day our room wasn't even touched. Another day we only had towels for 2 people (we were a family of 3).

I think one of the problems is that the desk personnel changed daily. It felt more like a hostel environment than a hotel. The tiny reception is manned by an ever changing group of what looked like college students. They were very friendly and I certainly would not place any of the blame for their web page or housekeeping as when I did complain they did say they would check with housekeeping, etc. The problem was that there was no continuity with reception and these "kids" did not look like they really did anything other than check people in and out. Again, it felt more like a hostel.

After I booked with City Center Jerusalem I was pretty proud of my self for getting what looked like a really nice place for the money. Jerusalem is not a "cheap" place to visit and I felt like I had gotten a great place for a great price. I felt really cheated in my expectations due to the photo gallery on their website. I do not recommend staying at the City Center Jerusalem.

Rishon Lezion, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Great Location , centrally located, near restaurants am /pm supermarkets
very spacious - we purchased duplex - clean , comfortable - all we needed was at the kitchenette
the staff was friendly , patient , very helpfull

Room Tip: for families - There is Duplex with stairs inside
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the King George Str studios in Dec '12, which is so central, in walking distance to most/all places of interest in the city center. The modern, fully furnished & equipped apartments with brand new interiors, a great bathroom and small kitchenette to make breakfast are sufficient for your short stay. Ben & his friendly team are on hand to assist with all your requirements. We will definitely stay there again, but may book a larger suite.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to City Center Jerusalem? Share your experiences!