“Good, ordinary food. Strictly kosher.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
The Steamy Middle East
“Good, ordinary food. Strictly kosher.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

The food is ordinary Israeli grilled meats, with the usual salads, etc. The quality of the food is excellent, though, and they do bake their own bread.

When we were there the hekhsher was Mehadrin Rehovot, but there is now at least one Website which says it is Rav Mahfoud. Check before you go.

As is usual in this type of restaurant, they may have dishes and cuts of meat which aren't on the menu. The wine list is also pretty much unrelated to what they actually have, in both directions. Generally, though, it is much better (and much more expensive) than is usual in Israeli restaurants of this type. I had a very good Shiraz-plus-Something-or-Other whose name I forgot shortly afterwards. That saddened me, but I couldn't have afforded to drink it frequently anyway. Back to the subject: They let me open my own wine without batting an eye.

The view really is impressive; at least it was so when we were there at night. The inside of the restaurant was also pretty and dignified enough, if aesthetically neutral; I don't know why places which serve grilled meat to the locals so often look like prison dining rooms, but as I said, this one looks like a real restaurant.

When we were there the owner was also, and he was in one of those expansive moods which occasionally possess Israelis, especially when they see strange people like us. He almost drove us crazy with his friendliness, chattiness, and recommendations (which one never knows quite how to take - he was right about the wine, though), but managed to stay barely on the right side of the line. Still, I prefer my wife's chit-chat to his.

They are part of some kind of online reservation system which seems to work. I assume that they also take reservations by telephone, and it could be that on ordinary weeknights one doesn't need a reservation, but that's on your own head.

• Visited March 2011