“Very good food, heavy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hachatzer

Hachatzer
7 Derech Beit Lehem | Baka, Jerusalem 93553, Israel (Givat Ram)
02-6719922
Neighborhood: Givat Ram
Amman, Jordan
“Very good food, heavy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Three of us shared the appetizer with bread and six dips, and most were pretty good. It was nice to share with a group. I had the chicken stuffed with nuts and with a slightly sweet sauce, and it was EXCELLENT. My friend had the hamburger (without a bun and stuffed with something else), and he loved it too. My husband had steak, which he said was good but not great.

The desserts were fun and creative, although extremely sweet. We shared the lemon tart, which I recommend to share. We also shared a chocolate with meringue dessert which I found far too sweet (and I love sweet normally).

It was difficult to find anything light on the menu; it is very full of meat. I also had a hard time finding a salad with real vegetables to select, so while the food was great, it was also very heavy.

The atmosphere is quite dull, but somehow it works. It was very full of people on a Wednesday night. Also, the service was quite good.

I would definitely return, although when I was feeling very hungry.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Hebrew first
Lawrence, New York
“Amazing-Even better second time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just ate there with my wife and son. Had the most amazing meal. Lamb brains (really!) was delicious. I had a burger filled with goose liver; it was the best burger I ever had. My son had the filet mignon; It was equally delicious ( I tasted it). My wife had the chicken which was also moist and delicious.

Deserts were terrific also. Service is fast and friendly. Will definitely return.

• Visited January 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
“Best value for money in Jerusalem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Whenever my family visits Jerusalem we go to Hachatzer. It is by far the best kosher food in Jerusalem that isn't over priced.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York, NY, United States
“Phenomenal Restaurant with a creative chef!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This evening I went to Hachatzer in a group of four people. From when we first walked in the restaurant was impressive; nice decor and a friendly staff. Our group decided to go the adventurous route and try the tasting menu. The tasting menu is a 3-4 course, 12 dish meal including several fishes, meats, and some chicken (190 Nis per person).

Each and every dish continued to impress all of us with beautiful presentation and amazing flavors. Some of the dishes include an asian style sea bass melt in your mouth beef ribs (being that we are in Israel this was actually called Veal...), sweetbreads with aioli sauce, and a vanilla-halva ice cream.

Overall, the meal was phenomenal and we had a wonderful experience and highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“Excellent restaurant in German Colony.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My family of 5 enjoyed an excellent meal (one daughter did not love sirloin). Most of us had fish. Great service. Kosher.

• Visited December 2012