“beautiful house and a wonderful location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Magas House Jerusalem Vacation Accommodation

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Magas House Jerusalem Vacation Accommodation
You added Magas House Jerusalem Vacation Accommodation to your Saves list
Heleni Hamalka 26 | Musrara, Jerusalem 95101, Israel   |
Munich, Germany
“beautiful house and a wonderful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We (family of four) stayed for five days at the "Cellar" apartment, which is an underground three-floor apartment (formerly an old Arab cistern). It is nicely furnished and does not need air condition (even in August). The apartment is well taken care of and our questions were dealt with promptly. The host "Nomi" was very pleasant and was there to assist us in a very personal and pleasant manner. Outside is a nice garden. It is centrally located - a five-minute walk to Damascus Gate and to Yafo Street. We would definitely stay there again.

If you arrive in Jerusalem by train, the bus # 18 takes you from Malha Railway Station almost to Heleni Hamalka Street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
musrara, Manager at Magas House Jerusalem Vacation Accommodation, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
thank you for your review.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in Jerusalem.You are always welcome.Ricardo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Excellent Private still very central house , pleasant quiet garden &
> yard were we had breakfast every day.
> Old style neighborhood with a lot of character, located in eastern
> Jerusalem, extremely near the old city.
> The kitchen was quiet convenient and the bed room living room and
> bathroom are neat as we expected them to be.
> The Airport Taxi brought as within an hour right to the spot.
> The host Anita was very kind, and provided us with very useful
> information. (parking info/ transportation ect..)
> On the hall we had a lovely stay and we would recommend this place
> to our friends.
> Best Regards.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Regarding the location in the city and the wonderful historic building we definetely would have rated Maga's House with 5 stars. However there were a couple of things that could really be improved and these are mainly service oriented. The Suita, the appartment we stayed in, was nicely decorated, very quiet and comfortable. It even included a little kitchenette and enough space to store your luggage and personal things. However it misses the certain level of cleanliness you would expect. Kitchen equipment, tea pots, sugar bowle, etc were quite filthy and we needed to clean everything before we could use them. In some parts of the room some of the plaster came down from the ceiling every now and then and since the apartment didn't get cleaned during our one week stay, we cleaned it off again every day. In the corners of the bathroom there's a lot of mould and on the ceiling of the sleeping room we found some insects' grubs. We are travelling a lot and usually are used to these kinds of things - and wouldn't care so much, but for what you get the prices in Maga's house are high...Regarding Nomi's service we just can approve what many others already said: very money but not service oriented. Her first question when we arrived was: do you have the money and can you put it in an envelope? Well... We would still recommend Magas House since it is very nice, but with a little bit more dedicated service and care, it would be perfect.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
musrara, Manager at Magas House Jerusalem Vacation Accommodation, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
thanks for your review.We have read carefully your comments and will try to improve .
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Tricky review this one.
I picked Magas House as I liked the look of it - I'm an independent traveller who much preferes quiet leave-you-to- it places over hotels, so when I arrived I was perfectly happy with the place.
I knew it was bed only even though it says B&B.
My first raised eyebrow was that their was no towels provided (and before they reply and insist that their were, there were not. I looked literally everywhere in the room - even opening drawers I probably was not meant to) & having just flown in from Europe on a very early flight, I was desperate for a shower to freshen up when I arrived & the lady (Nomi) that had shown me in had disappeared again when I went to ask, so I ended up having to use the tea towel from the kitchen-ette.
Like I said, I'm more than happy to be left alone & that evening I bought a towel from the nearby market - no problem in the grander picture & I had a perfectly happy couple of days there.
However, on my final day I parked my hire car in the street outside - which is not free parking as they say on Magas website - and as I did not have the correct change for the ticket machine, I knocked and asked the lady (Nomi - friend of the owner I think) if she would change a note for me or if I could pull into their courtyard for 30 mins whilst I went & got some. She told me No, that she was busy and to come back later...I persisted and said I knew she had a change box - could she not just quickly get some change, but the said again she was busy and to my astonishment then told me to make an appointment with her for later!!! She then all but shut the door in my face.
Magas House itself is a lovely place, beautiful old building, wonderful little courtyard, quiet & perfectly located for the Old City. However, they should keep an eye on the little things like towels & if they are to leave Nomi in charge, they need to give her a little chat about her attitude towards guests, who are after all, paying €50 a night.
I'll put it down to experience & I would stay their again because of the place itself & hope that the problems I encounted were not the norm.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I got exactly what I was looking for. A place to say its is your´s in Jerusalém. Felt like home. PERFECT.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
barcelona,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

It was just the perfect location for us, we love both the old city and down town Jerusalem.
We could easily get any were just by walking to either one of them.

The suite is a typical Arab style house and has a a very good feeling in it.
Its cool and at the same time has a lot of that special Jerusalem light.

Bedroom kitchen and bathroom are very comfortable as well.
We spend good time in the evenings in the charming yard, and in the mornings we had our coffee under the olive tree.

The host was very pleasant and attentive to all our requests and we felt we were very welcomed and treated nicely.

We would defiantly like to return there in our next trip to Jerusalem.
Thanks for your hospitality, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

Unhampered by the previous review, we booked two units in Magas House for our extended family. Our 86-years-old aunt stayed in the studio, and found it comfortable. The other five of us, including two teenagers, stayed in the amazing cellar, a former Ottoman cistern stylishly refurbished into a huge three-level, open-gallery unit. (The house also has a two-bedroom unit we did not check).
This place is for you if you are not looking for the regular hotel room, or run-of-the-mill luxury; if you don't mind going up and down spiral stairs; if your party does not need strict privacy, and likes seeing or calling each other up and down Escher-like steps and galleries. It is for you if you love the 'real', narrow-alleyed and mysterious Jerusalem, charming yards under the pines, and that slight charming disorder, indoors and outdoors, that Jerusalem houses build over many years.
The location is smack in center-north Jerusalem, steps away from both the ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods and the Eastern city with its vibrant Arab markets. It is a little further away from the main shopping and nightlife area, but quite walkable. The street, yard, trees, and general feel of the place are just right: it doesn't get more Jerusalemite than this.
The bathrooms are quite basic, and perhaps the owner should consider upgrading the showers and add a cabinet. Another disadvantage is the small size of the futon in the middle gallery, which is only fit for a child. The heaters are okay for the large space, but perhaps larger ones would create a cozier feel. But our general impression was good, and the charming lady who came soon after our arrival to welcome us lives five minutes away, and is available for any query. Bottom line: a real sense of place in one of the world's most unique cities.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Magas House Jerusalem Vacation Accommodation? Share your experiences!