“Charming hotel with a great restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel

You added Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1st. Heinrich Heine st. | Off 30 Moriah Blvd., Haifa 34485, Israel   |
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Haifa
Los Angeles
“Charming hotel with a great restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This 1940s hotel has been restored with great attention to detail. It is on a quiet residential street, within easy walking distance of several small restaurants. You can also walk to the Bahai Gardens, which takes you through and area with more restaurants, shops and hotels.

We arrived early, and while we received a very warm welcome, we were not able to check in early. The receptionist gave us great directions to all the places we could reach on foot. Our room was a standard, room #2. It is directly behind the reception area, and very close to the restaurant. The room was a good size, and had a little seating area with a desk and a window, which allowed one of us to rest and one to work. The bathroom was quite modern and very well equipped.

We don't usually eat in hotel restaurants, having been disapapointed too many times. However, we did eat at Villa Carmel, and the food was outstanding. The patio is lovely, and since it was unseasonably warm while we were there, we enjoyed a lingering breakfast there.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room #2, or other rooms that are close to the restaurant. Its a noisy, lively place un...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

They've managed to screw up pretty much everything in the <12 hours that I spent there:

1) The hotel lists itself as a 5-star property with most agents. When in reality under star rating criteria it doesn't stand a chance to go over 3. The rooms are extremely small (12 sqm at most) and there are no facilities what so ever, not even a 24h front-desk. Not that I mind 3 star hotels, but this one's price matches it's 5-star disguise.

2) When I asked the reception staff about the 5-star incident they replied "We're free present ourselves as we wish", which was their overall attitude toward guests, so my second point here, is staff attitude (hotel owner in particular) is extremely disappointing.

3) They attempted to rip me off while I was checking out by charging me an extra $40 for the night. When I asked about the addition, the receptionist replied "it's the USD/ILS exchange rate", but when I asked what exchange rate she had used, I was still overcharged by $40 with her exchange rate (which was a ripoff on it's own). She ended up refunding that transaction, after which I insisted to pay in USD.

4) The location is extremely strange. Inside a residential street, with nothing around really...

My overall advice: don't even think about it.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3, which was absolutely horrible. I don't know about the rest but I'm guess...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
VillaCarmelManagment, General Manager at Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hello Sir,

First of all we were sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel but we must point out some of the reviews you mentioned:
- the room that you stayed at was the standard room (the room that you booked through booking.com) is the smallest room that we have at the hotel.
- The reception Office at the hotel is available 24 hours a day-that is why a receptionist was waiting for you at 3 am.
- Villa Carmel is a boutique hotel-a star system is no longer used in Israel (you can check that information with the tourism office).
- VAT payment- your reservation through booking.com was made as an israeli citizen which by law in Israel has to pay VAT.If you arrive with a tourist,In order to avoid VAT payment, the reservation has to be on her name (which wasn't the case).
-Our staff is known as very friendly to her guests.
- One of the advantages of staying at Villa Carmel is the location.The hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood,5 min away from restaurants and 10 min walking distance from the bahai gardens .

Villa Carmel
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great location, wonderful friendly staff, and a charming, offbeat antidote to the "different city, same hotel" syndrome. Definitely gives you a slice of life in the best possible way.

It had all the amenities of larger hotels (including money exchange at a good rate), a wonderful breakfast, and spa facilities (which I did not use.) No pool, if that matters to you. My wife and I had a lengthy stay and by the time we left we felt like family. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms on an upper floor. The room we had next to the reception area (cannot say &quo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Before arrival we had great expectations. What we found justifies a 80$ (in this case I would rate it much higher) and not 270$ per night as we paid.
The place is neglected. Where shall I start? The bathroom's mirror was dirty. Repairs that were done with different materials than the original. We didn't get a laundry bag. The breakfast was poor. No yellow cheese, or any "french" cheese. Salads looked like they are leftover from previous day. Poor selection of bread. The stuff was nice and very polite. To sum it up, a reasonable hotel for 80$ a night but not a Boutique Hotel at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Disappointing . Nice quiet neighbourhood would seem to be main attraction of this hotel but interior decoration of our room - which was quite large, was awful - dark brown walls and carpet , not very good lighting - very depressing I counted five different materials - concrete finishes and wood and various tiles in the bathroom - poor lighting and meagre toiletries for a Spa hotel .Worse was lack of proper cleaning - bath surrounds were dirty
Very nice spacious balcony attached to room
Reception staff adequate but not very friendly
Breakfast staff better but breakfast itself tired and uninspiring .
Free parking and free wifi
For what it promises ,very disappointing and needs new management and a "shake up "
Would not stay again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Villa... The room was 'fine'... A little aged and needed some TLC.
We had an issue, and causing me to write this negative review.
As my girlfriend got out of the shower she was reaching for her bath robe and found a large flying cockroach inside of the robe. Was quite a terrifying experience for her.
The young guy that was working the front desk did his best to address the situation (he sent some wine and cake), but he was not a manager and probably not trained to deal with crisis situations.
The next morning, I made every effort to connect with a manager or owner, Both of which were not making themselves available. I also left my cell phone number, I never received a phone call.
When I checked out I was offered a 15% discount, but that is simply insulting.

Any good hotel management would look for any opportunity to differentiate their service, and this was a complete lost opportunity.

On another note, this was the lowest quality food or breakfast that we encountered during the trip. Really disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from a night at Villa Carmel.
The hotel as a huge potential as it has a very European and pitoresque feel to it but for a 5 star hotel you'd expect rooms to be totally dust free as this caused us not to be able to sleep relaxed.
We had to change rooms because the first had even more dust.
To have a nice carpeted room is cozy but it must be vacuumed properly on daily basis.
The finishing touch must be better maintained (spots and cracks in bathrooms)
If this is taken into consideration and something is done about it, then it'd give it indeed 5 stars as staff quite friendly and aiming to please.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Carmel Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!