“The Cockroach Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 64 Hotels in Eilat
Lehavim, Israel
“The Cockroach Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have stayed at the Isrotel Riviera Club several times, but after my most recent visit, I don't think I'll stay there again. First of all, on at least two occasions when I stayed at this hotel, there was quite a bit of noise from outside. I don't know if all the rooms face the pool, but from those that do, you can hear not only the people at the pool, but also everyone who walks through the pool area to get to their room. In addition, although my room was not on the ground floor, during my most recent stay, I discovered a very big cockroach in my room. As I was a woman staying alone and I had already showered, I couldn't call maintenance, so I spent several minutes chasing it with a shoe, until it ran up under a slab of wood covering the curtain rod. Then I had to wait until it decided to come down, which it eventually did, and I finally managed to kill it. This was not exactly the quiet evening that I had planned.

I must mention that when I checked out the following morning, the manager heard my story and immediately gave me a discount on my room. I will think twice about staying here again, though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in 2009. It was very tired then and in need of desperate renovations. I booked a package deal with an airline in March 2014. I did not realise that I had booked the same hotel. I read online that renovations of the rooms had been carried out in 2012, so I was not too disappointed. When I arrived at the hotel, I saw that the 'renovations' were just a minor facelift. The bathroom is new and the kitchen bench, apart from that, it's the same old room. They put in a few new items of furniture, but they have left the old peach tiles, the lights are old. The hallways has new artwork and door surrounds with the old tiles and carpet. So much potential but it just misses the mark. That said, service was great. Good hotel if you're speeding time in the room to sleep.

• Stayed March 2014
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The hotel is clean, well maintained and rooms are comfortable. This is not a fancy 5-star hotel but my overall impression is very good. The minimarket was ok, the location is convenient and the staff was friendly. The kitchenette was simple yet functional. Updating the minioven and the fridge would make things more convenient. All in all, I found this hotel to be good value for my money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel is well maintained and located.
The swimming pool is huge, clean and supervised.
The kids club is brilliant, although it is hard to find so don't forget to ask.
The rooms are very comfortable.
The shop at the hotel sells everything you can think of and is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My General impression of the hotel is quite good. Helpful and friendly staff. Everybody speaks English at reception. They answered my questions and tried to help where they could.
I appreciated that. Lovely pool area with enough sun beds and towel service.
The housekeeping lady on my floor did not speak English but she was always nice and trying to help me where she could.
As a single female traveller I got treated well and did not feel unsafe anytime inside or outside of the Hotel.
I had a very likeable studio with a balcony, pool view. Bed nice and comfi, flat screen with various channels it was nice to watch some good movies on a relax night in.
Small table with two chairs for small meal on balcony and inside studio.
Spacious cupboard with hangers and safe. Bathroom was fine too. Nice hot water available and clean. Change of towels daily with the exception of their Shabbat day, but no issue at all.
I cooked 2 nights in the little kitchen, which has very basic utensils. I would recommend the hotel to provide some more utensils for the kitchen. E.g., bigger frying pan, wine glasses, some better bottle and can opener and cutting knives. However it does work out well for a very basic meal. There is a water boiler, oven, electric cooker for two pans. Cutlery, plates, glass, coffee cups soup pan, little frying pan, soup/yoghurt bowls, salad bowl.
The hotel has a little supermarket where you find the basics for a meal. You can find supermarkets here and there, but the prices are about 15% higher compared to The Netherlands. I found a bigger/more choice 'regular' supermarket in the city centre next to the airport, but not any cheaper really. It doesnt make too much of a difference if you buy in hotel or outside. The promenade is a 5 minute walk away offering a beach area, and plenty of restaurants, different cuisines. Do note they expect a service charge of 10% of your restaurant bill, also I experienced this in the bar when i had a few beers.
In the hotel lobby there is a lady from the Eilat Attractions Information centre at certain hours.
There are a range of excursions you can book, sometimes with discount deals. if she is not there you can walk to their office very close to the marina. Nice and helpful people down there.
Do tell them you are in Isrotel, you get discounts on excursions.
Three Monkeys Pub is nice, they have some nice bands playing and good quality beers and free WIFI. The Irish Pub is also nice, 20 minute walk also free wifi.
My breakfast was a little disappointing as i had a package deal with Coredon a Dutch tour operator.
All the people from this package deal got the nice breakfast buffet at the Royal Garden Hotel next door and i got send to Boulevard, kind of cafe place inside a mall and first morning got stuck with bread, croissant and butter&jam a coffee and a juice. As i am not supposed to eat bread, well it was an issue. Luckily the reception of the hotel organised i could have an alternative which was very fine for me. I do find it strange i was not allowed to have the 'nice' breakfast buffet and the people from same package deal could....same tour operator,same package deal...
Btw you can use the facilities of the Royal Garden next door, but extra costs. I did not use the spa or gym as I found it too expensive for my budget. The massages offered were tempting though.

Overall I had a really nice stay in Eilat and I would not mind coming back to this hotel.
Toda Raba

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Very reasonable prices. We were a couple with 3 teenaged children. Will stay there again when in Eilat. Small supermarket inside the hotel (open till 23:00). Has fridge, stove (two electric burners), microwave, kettle. Next time I would ask for a room with a balcony.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool side of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Geva Carmel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the hotel (8 persons, 3 kids). Great vacation! The hotel is clean, comfort, the rooms are pretty small but good for sleep / light supper / pool purpose.. We've stayed in the suites at the ground floor, with an exit to the pool - very nice.
The hotel's location is good - few minutes walk from the beach promenade, close to shops, resturants, bars and supermarkets.
The hotel has a supermarket (not dinning room), with pretty fare prices - not cheap, but ok for a close supermarket.
The service was OK - staff was helpful.
*** I should state that we've stayed in the low season - the hotel wasn't full, though not empty - so the main mood was relaxed. When packed, the rooms balconies around the pool might be noisy..

Room Tip: Suites with an exit to the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hani S, Sales Manager at Isrotel Riviera Club Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hello Yaron C,

Thank you for writing your recent review, I am delighted to read everything during your stay was excellent.

We hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,