“Pretty Hotel, Worst Service ever!” 2 of 5 stars

The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   South Beach | PO Box 994, Eilat 88000, Israel   |
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Eilat
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Pretty Hotel, Worst Service ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We booked one of the Villas with the Jacuzzi (Villa Shangrila). the room was nice and the view was pretty, but the service was the worst ever!
the Jacuzzi didnt work for the whole period of 3 days, and everyday the manager kept promising that he will fix it by tomorrow. the Jacuzzi was never fixed. In the end of the stay, the manager promised to reimburse the price of one night as a compensation, but eventually the credit card charge showed that the hotel (by mistake) charged the card three times for 3 different amounts. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
I am writing in regard to your recent stay with us here at the Orchid Eilat Hotel.
Your opinion is very important to us and we appreciate for taking your time to write this review.
I was sorry to read that your stay at the Orchid Eilat Hotel was not a good experience. Your comments are being taking serious care of by our staff.

You are more than welcome to contact us in any way you find and give us your full review so we can improve ourselves in the future.
I truly hope that on your next visit to Israel you will choose to stay with us and I kindly ask you to contact us to reassure you that we always strive to deliver a first class product and an extraordinary service.

operation manager of Orchid Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Visited the Orchid hotel for a long weekend.
Seems The hotels' staff just don't care whether you enjoy your time or not. Every simple request is a hassle. For example - on our first night the bathroom got flooded. We asked for maintenance to come and check it. We called the reception at 20:00 and they said they will send someone shortly. We came back at 22:00 and no one had visited our room. We needed to ask again and the maintenance person first told us it could be fixed only the next day.. After a few conversations with the reception he fixed it then- took him 5 minutes!!
The food in hotel has a wide selection but the quality is poor.
The only upside is the way the hotel is built- as a Thai hotel with the rooms spread out and no central building, this provides privacy.
In addition we upgraded to the "Shangrila" room which turned out to be very simple and quite small. Hate to think what the regular rooms look like.
The hotel is situated in far distance from the city center and without your own car you'll have to spend a lot on taxis.
In summary, the visit was a disappointment, we will not return to this so called "5 star hotel".

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this review, February 17, 2014

Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Orchid Hotel is a reasonably priced fantasyland on the outside with streams, bridges, and palm trees. The rooms are basic and a bit musty smelling. Our room, which contained a comfortable queen-sized bed also had a loft with two twin beds. But the ladder leading up to the loft leaned dangerously against the loft’s floor and could have easily fallen and hurt someone. Breakfast was included with the room. Since we were leaving very early, we ordered it to go the night before but nevertheless had to wait for it in the morning. Dinner, which was not included and which was very expensive, was an large and tasteless buffet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Orchid Eilat Hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are dedicated to provide a high level of service and standards as in all of Orchid Hotels. I am happy to know that you had a good time and I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and kind compliments regarding our hotel service and location.

I would like to thank you again, and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Hod HaSharon, HaMerkaz, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Located near the border to Taba, on a heel just next to the Red sea, nice rooms especially the ones at the top with a view. From the lobby you are driven to your room - unique experience. We ate supper next to the pool - good atmosphere.

Room Tip: On the top there are suits with private swimming pool... Try it !
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this review, January 28, 2014

Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

this is a lovely hotel a bus ride away from the hustle and bustle of the city center. the landscaping is lovely...i just completed my third and perhaps last visit to this hotel..

firstly the pool was not heated in mid-january...what are they waiting for? summer?

secondly, i left my phone charger in the room..i called them on the way back to hotel and they said they had it...i get to the front desk and there is only woman there trying to check in people and deal with my emergency...the last bus to jerusalem was about to leave. needless to say..they didn't know where my charger was, did not allow me up the room to check (no one had checked in since i had left)..and kept me waiting for 15 minutes with a taxi with the meter running...after i had to leave to catch my bus they said they had my charger and would fed-ex it to me...at my expense!! what kind of 5 star hotel does this? i remember i once left my winter coat in a hotel in the poconos and only realized the following winter...maybe 6 months later...they still had my coat and fedexed it of course without charging me a cent!! i call this really poor service...they only went to find my charger when my isreali taxi driver interceded...very poor service and remember....if you go in the winter..u will not be able to swim in the pool unless u don't mind cold water..

Room Tip: ask for a room with a loft...this was the first time i didn't have it and not only did i not hav...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Orchid (Orchidea in Hebrew) is located around 7km (4 miles) from Eilat proper, on the relatively-secluded Almog beach right across from the underwater observatory and the main diving and snorkeling sites.

My wife and I paid 1500 ILS (around $420) for a two-night weekend stay including RT flights from Tel Aviv, as part of a special deal. I believe their regular prices are much higher.

The hotel was designed to resemble a Thai resort. All rooms are built on mountainside, connected by paths and wooden staircases. The climb to the room is part of the fun, I guess, and the hotel provides free moments-notice golf cart shuttling from the lobby to your room (as well as free shuttles to Eilat and to its nearby sister resort, where you get free snorkeling gear).

Our room (717) was great - very clean, with wood flooring, amazing view and all the amenities you'd expect from a 5-star hotel (fridge, flat-screen TV, safe, great bed, etc.) However, the true appeal of the hotel is its unique architecture, its picturesque pools, and the many options to veg poolside, from chairs to full-size beds. The entire hotel is built of wood, which is unique in Israel (most Eilat hotels are standard single-building structures.)

In walking distance from the hotel (or by bike, provided free) you can reach the area's main diving sites, each including a restaurant/bar and gear rental store; the underwater observatory; the Bedouin tent restaurant, two supermarkets, and quite a few restaurants. Transportation along the coastal road is by cab ($12 to Eilat proper) or hourly public bus ($1.50).

Our vacation deal included buffet breakfasts (dairy only, since the restaurant keeps kosher) on both days, which were great, with dozens of food options from Israeli Jachnun and Shakshuka to custom omelet and salad stations to everything else you can think of. We took a look at the dinner buffet which was also mouth-watering (140 ILS PP on the weekend).

Nitpicks: the Jacuzzi was not hot enough and closed way to early in the day (no romantic night-time dips); wireless Internet, while free, was spotty in the room (but not in the lobby); and most of the (free) bikes were defective.

Otherwise - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Some rooms are newer than others, do make sure you get a room in the new wing (in the 700s). All roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this review, January 16, 2014

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I love this property! It doesn't feel like a hotel at all, but a village. The rooms are set in the hills of Eilat, and if you don't mind the hike -- or getting rides in golf carts -- id take a room higher up on the mountain.. (We liked the 700 Siam rooms).
It's also great because it's far away from the tacky part of Eilat, remote and removed, near the Taba border, across from the observatory, near the most beautiful snorkeling (migdal or), next door to a fun beouin tent.

Some downsides: the jacuzzi doesn't seem to be heated enough, and the pool isn't heated (which is probably not a problem if you're there in off-season).

I'd book a deal through the Arkia website, which has packages.

In short, if you want a getaway that's really away, and doesn't feel like your typical hotel, go here!

Room Tip: villas of course are nice, but higher up in the siam rooms (ask for newer siam) we had 717 it was hi...

operation manager of Orchid Hotels

Been to The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat? Share your experiences!