“Service and food excellent, but be aware of the location” 4 of 5 stars

Isrotel Yam Suf Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coral Beach, Eilat 88103, Israel   |
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Eilat
Israel
“Service and food excellent, but be aware of the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I stayed at this hotel (now officially called "Isrotel Yam Suf" but the locals still know it as Ambassador) during Hanukkah vacation. We had reserved 2 rooms for our family; when we checked in I asked if there was a door connecting them. Now, I had not reserved connecting rooms, but they still offered to switch me to a "family suite" for no extra cost. They let me see and compare the rooms, and were very pleasant about me taking my time deciding. The suite was nicer, with a little garden, but 2 rooms had more space, and 2 bathrooms instead of one... in the end we went with the suite. Our stay was 4 nights and overall I found the service to be excellent and we were very satisfied. I also had a massage in the spa, very enjoyable. Oh yeah, breakfast is fabulous. We ate out on the enclosed porch, overlooking the pool.

If you're wondering why this one is cheaper than the other (numerous!) Isrotels in Eilat, there is a reason: the location. "Coral beach" is far from city center (15 min drive or so), though close (walkable) to the aquarium. To make up for this they have free shuttle service back and forth. For me it was worth saving the money, and it was actually more relaxing being on a beach and not in town. If diving is your thing, this is the place anyway (or even further).

We went to the "wow" show in another Isrotel in town -- the kids loved it and I thought it was well-done. Some of the acts were really amazing. The other hotel was fancier than ours, but of course you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Let's start by saying that finally, after the Isrotel Ambassador experience, I decided to start writing reviews after having used tripadvisor for a couple of years. And this is pretty much all I have to say in favor of this experience.

We booked through tripadvisor>>booking.com a sea view room with balcony. Arrived at the hotel (around 10pm) we were checked in and asked to pay for the whole stay (3nights) in advance. A bit surprised we agreed and were issued an invoice for a different amount (more than the one shown in the booking.com reservation) and briefly explained that it was because of the exchange rate and blablabla (lots of meaningless explanations) but that on the credit card bill it would be charged the correct amount. Apart from offending what I consider being my average intelligence (if you charge me a sum, that's what the credit card company will charge as well, right?!) I found inappropriate the tone in which we were addressed, rude and arrogant as per title.
Being in our late 20's doesn't necessarily make us mates nor gives you the right to lecture us.
They agreed to undo the transaction and postpone the whole payment instead of charging us the correct amount, so that it would become someone else's problem.
Let's move on.. of course the room wasn't what we had booked, the view was that of a wall next to the swimming pool and there was no terrace.
Long story short, an argument arised at the reception at the end of which we had to keep the room assigned (no other rooms available of course...) to us and the whole discussion develops over something like "well you booked through booking.com and they placed the wrong reservation so it's not the hotel's fault" but trust me, it sounded a lot more like "since you're cheap and want to book through booking.com than accept the consequences". I recommend booking.com to look into this as well to avoid complaints from customers.

I do understand that I can't give a 1/5 to a hotel based on the behavior of two employees, so I'll elaborate more, apologize for the long review, if you're only interested in the room description, please proceed to the end of the review.

Day 2: After breakfast we ask the reception (all staff has changed from night before) to change our room, explaining the situation again since no one bothered leaving any message about the situation (of the room and of the payment). We are at first discouraged with a "people pay a lot of money to stay in the suite and you want to change?" and "well if that's what you want" (again, sounds like "if you're really that stupid"..). This is obviously a lie, I don't know about the prices, but unless you need the extra space for guests or kids, the sea view rooms are way better than the "suite" we were given.
The receptionist agrees to change our room but there's nothing available at the moment so we decide to go into town. A couple of hours later a phone call that goes more or less like:
-I moved you to another room so you can move now
-Thanks, but right now we're out having lunch can we do it later?
-How later?
-Ehm, I haven't planned my day, does it matter?
-I want to give the room to another guest
-Can someone move our luggage from a room to the other?
-No you have to come personally
-Ok than I'll come after lunch.
I'll let you judge.

Day 4, check out: this really drove me crazy and made me understand that the whole attitude, up to the management, is wrong.
We start our check out at 1030, it will end at 1115am, time during which other 6 customers (out of 6 in that time frame) loudly complained at the reception about different issues.
The whole story revolves around the fact that the hotel wants to charge us 2727.17 NIS (roughly equivalent to 680 USD) instead of the equivalent of 642 USD as written in our reservation through booking.com. During the 45 minutes check out we were told the most incredible stories (like that they will charge 2727.17 but for some magic the credit card company would charge 642 USD) and lies, all in a very disrespectful and arrogant way. We waited almost an hour, while the receptionist was making endless phone calls to some sort of management (I suppose). Things started moving when other angry customers, obviously more important than us, but luckily for me Italians (to whom I briefly told my situation), called someone from the management (and they arrived "running"!).
Shortly after we were given a bill of 642 USD, but I'm still not sure the two things were connected, as NO ONE from management talked to us and NEVER, in the 3 days, we heard a SORRY from anyone.
We didn't have any plausible explanation of why the hotel tried so hard to charge us more and I'm up for confrontation here with the hotel management.
BTW, let me give you some suggestions: teach your employees to say sorry and adopt as a policy to pay for your mistakes, you have nice facilities in the hotel, try to make your unsatisfied customers happy with coupons for diving, spa, dinner, whatever you think appropriate. I have no personal gain from this as we will never be your customers again.

If you're still reading, here is a judgment on the rooms:
-Suite: well, it wasn't a real suite as you might have imagined, otherwise we wouldn't have tried to change. It's ok, 2 single beds to form a king (pathetic) and one sofa bed. 1.5 bathrooms, a closet and 2 old tvs.
-Sea view: an average size hotel bedroom with cheap (but ok) furniture, LCD tv, two single beds to form a king, in this case even with two single blankets, for a shivering effect at night...bathroom with bathtub and nice balcony overlooking the sea.
The rooms have a fridge but no minibar, which can be ordered by phone "for your own convenience" as the hotel guide says, I don't quite see the convenience.
Breakfast was excellent. We haven't tried other meals.

International point of view: the hotel observes shabbat (and other Jewish holidays) and it is alone a setback for international customers. I prefer not to venture in this topic, but just to let you know that (as the website says) you won't be able to check in until 9pm on Saturdays, there's no cooking and therefore no room service on Saturdays (BTW, room service is pizza, yeah that's it).
TV (if you care) lacks the basic int. channels like BBC (just to make an example).

The location was good for us cause we had a car, if you don't than you have to rely on taxis or hotel shuttle (which we haven't tried). The hotel is a few km out of town but this characteristic also makes it calmer, far from the party mood of northern beach. The hotel is not on the beach, which is on the other side of the road; most of it is unfortunately fenced.

A suggestion to other customers: if something goes wrong, don't waste your time, ask to talk to the management immediately, I don't guarantee it would be a pleasant experience, but it might at least turn out to be effective.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Our expectations were high, but the Isrotel Yam Suf lived up to them. As has been noted, somewhat off the beaten path, but between the free hotel shuttle and taxis, our teens found it easy to get to the more lively hotel strip, while we enjoyed relaxing by the pool. Breakfast buffet (included) was outstanding, but dinner was very pricey, so we ate instead at the Aroma Coffee shop next to the hotel. Tip: Wifi is free at Aroma, so skip the hotel fee. We completed SCUBA certification at Aqua Sport Dive, right across the road from the hotel -- it was very good instruction. Also across from the hotel, we had an outstanding meal at The Last Refuge fish restaurant. Ask to sit outside by the water. We enjoyed a day trip to Petra which we booked through the hotel -- it was a not to be missed experience. The hotel was also able to arrange our flights from Tel Aviv to Eilat.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Central Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My wife and I decided to take a long weekend getway in Eilat - to relax and enjoy some sun. After my travel agent made a few recomendations and provided quotes, I checked with tripadvisor to see how they each rated.

Honestly, I was a little skeptical that this hotel could rate higher than all of the newer, fancier, five star hotels -- but the rating is fully deserved.

First and foremost I have never encountered a friendlier and more pleasnt staff at any hotel. From my first interaction with reception, to the staff at the pool and beach, to the dining room crew, etc. the employees were helpful and pleasant without exception. They were always smiling and inquiring what else they could do,

Our stay was booked as "half board," which means that breakfast and dinner were included. The breakfast buffet each morning provided a wide variety of choices, all fresh and delicious. The dinner buffet Friday night was outstanding and the dinners served the other nights in the Barbeque restaurant, with an array of grilled meats and endless salads and side dishes were delightful. Once again, the service was outstanding.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped (each room has a balcony with a geat view of the Red Sea). The three swimming pools were surrounded by comforting landscaping and there were a variety of lounge chairs, swings and even sun beds to choose from. The private beach was clean and well maintained.

We actually appreciated that this hotel is not in the main strip -- it was quieter. Yet still close to town and to various attractions.

We intend to return soon and will recommend the hotel t our friends looking for their own nearly perfect weekend.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The climate control in the room was uneven
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lara33
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador Yam Suf for a week in the middle of September. Before booking the hotel, we had read a lot of reviews to make sure that we would find a place far away from the busy (and noisy) areas of Eilat. The Ambassador Yam Suf provided all we had been looking for: located outside of the centre of the town, opposite of the Coral Beach Nature Reserve (excellent snorkeling!) and in walking distance to the Marine Museum, it was remote enough to be relaxed and quiet but - thanks to a shuttle bus service and low cab fares - still well connected to the centre if one fancies dinner in town. The pool area is conventiently large and very clean, with unobtrusive music and no animation. The room was pleasant and absolutely clean, and the breakfast buffet was wonderful as well (we did not have dinner in the restaurant). The staff was friendly and helpful. The only (occasional) nuisance were weekend guests shouting in the pool area.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

We stayed 6 nights in Eilat. The first 3 on the Ambassador and the rest on the King Salomon, both from Isrotel chain. We planned this way because we were not sure about the Ambassador and in the end we were glad we did that.
The Ambassador is a very nice hotel with good facilities and a great pool scenario. Ideal for rest and relax...enjoy the sun and unwind. (see photos)
What is not so good:
1) The location: this hotel is aprox. 7km from the center and not in a very nice area...we already knew this but we expected a much better beach (Coral) than the central one (North) ...well, we were really disapointed. You have to cross the road and be advised that the beach scene is average in fact we preferred the North Beach (near the hotel area), which is much nicer, with more sand and cleaner surroundings.
2)not all rooms have a view, in fact all the rooms on the second floor face a small wall, so forget any pool or sea view.

On the other hand the King Salomon - right on the center of Eilat - was a better choice and a great value for money. First we stayed in a HB basis which for Eilat is very convenient because you should be prepared to pay a lot for a good meal. The King Salomon dinner menu was one of the best ever and it had drinks included (wine too) so we were very satisfied.
Besides this, you are in the center of everything: stores, restaurants, cafes, nice beach, etc. without having too much noise or confusion.

Both hotels offer a GREAT Kosher breakfast in terms of quality and variety.
The service is regular in both hotels.

• Liked — The pool scene
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Ambassador Hotel. The
hotel is lovely. We rented 3 rooms and opted to pay a bit more for rooms with views. It was well worth it. Each room was nicely sized with a double bed and couch that pulled out into a bed. Each balcony looked out at the pool and the water.
The food was plentiful, delicious, and well presented. Over the 6 meals eaten, each was varied and different from the prior days selection.
Most notable was the staff at the hotel. They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and our needs met. Two of my children have special dietary needs, and Noga (at reception) went way beyond the call of duty making sure they had what they needed.
We even got a call from the manager when we got home to follow up on a comment we had left on the check out form. I have never seen that happen in Israel before.
Great place for a relaxing vacation, we would go back in a minute.

• Liked — staff and the outdoor lobby area
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Isrotel Yam Suf Hotel? Share your experiences!