“Truly an oasis” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Eilat
Pretoria, South Africa
“Truly an oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We picked this hotel at the last minute as our booked hotel was such a disappointment. This is a really nice establishment - expensive, but worth it. We had lovely rooms overlooking the Red Sea with a beautiful view of the Gulf. The pool area is really nice and the kids enjoyed themselves. There is easy access to the beach.

The restaurant was fantastic. There is a wide variety of dishes and it is a buffet. Every taste is catered for.

I will definitely come back to this hotel ( and to this hotel chain) if we are ever in the country again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Hebrew first
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Last year we visited this exact hotel and I wrote a great review of Herods Palace. But oh my how things have changed in just 12 short months.

Let's start with this: there is NO MANAGEMENT at this hotel. And as it is said "the fish stinks from the head."

From the dining room, to the pool, to the really beautiful fish ponds filled with trash, this place is just dirty. The pool was full of rowdy, rude patrons, smoking, drinking and horsing around with no intervention from the Life Guards or heaven for bis the management. The pool bar was so filthy that my kids didn't want to sit there and finish their frozen drinks. The tables in the dining room were barely wiped down between seatings. Still sticky from brekfast at dinner and still pasta on the floor from dinner at breakfast. And the servers acted as though they were doing you a favor when you asked for something.

In the room the service was also lacking. Better than everywhere else in the hotel but still sub par.

Checkin and Checkout were nothing short of horrid. It took 45 minutes waiting in line to check out. And unlike every other hotel on earth you can't just leave if you have not charged anything to the room you actually have to wait in line or on the phone where I also waited on hold over 30 minutes.

The worst part though is that No One there even cares. When I asked to speak with a manager I was told to come back the next day because there was no one to speak with. How is this possible at such a large hotel???

I will say though that the pool is beautiful and the food is delicious. But for the price, this hotel needs a lot of improvement before I would reconsider returning. And it is a shame because on this specific visit we had 23 rooms. (company trip)

Maybe someone will reply to this review but I won't hold my breath.

Room Tip: Don't get a suite. It is totally not worth the price.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nicolle A, General Manager at Herods Palace Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the site Trip Advisor following your stay at the Herods hotel..
We are delighted to read that you appreciate our pool and the food quality.
We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay.
We aim for excellence in all aspects and aim to lead our hotel to the highest level of hospitality.
Our guests comments regarding the level of service and the hotel in general is an important tool, one that enables us to continually improve and adjust our service to meet our guests needs.
will be happy if you contact me for more details information regarding to your stay .
Once again, I thank you for your time and hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you in our hotel.

Best regards
Nicolle Algazy
nikole@fattal.co.il
public & Relation Manager
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Overall, this is a great hotel. Considered by many to be one of the best in Eilat. Herod's Palace is the largest of the 3 Herod's and is classified as a 5 star hotel because of the more expensive rooms. There are multiple room categories, and if you stay in the bottom category (which is still damn expensive), your experience will not necessarily be 5 star (but will still be great).
We stayed on a half pension rate. The food was plentiful and amazing - not a single fault there. Couldn't be better.
The pool is great, and the beach access is fantastic.
The room was furnished fantastically and very comfortable. However, it wasn't maintained very well. On entry, we discovered a bathroom door that wouldn't shut. it was promptly repaired. Later, we had problems with the toilet flush not working (simply put - the flush action did nothing). Multiple times we had someone come to 'fix' it - and it stayed fixed for periods. But in the end, whenever a flush was required, I simply left the room, opened the access door from the outside, and used my engineering skills to cause it to flush. This experience is something I'd expect in a 2 star hotel.
As I mentioned - apart from those issues - the hotel was really fantastic.

Room Tip: Better rooms are on the higher levels (but you pay for it)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I travelled from Canada and stayed at the Herods Eilat in late June. It was first rate. Natural beauty and great sea view from our spacious room. Great breakfasts and relaxing pool and spa. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Fabulous facility with accommodating staff. The kadim suites & sky lounge are very nice - Splurge if you can. Be aware the pool & beach close early. We cancelled our rooms at the Isorotel Royal Beach to stay here - larger rooms, beautiful balconies with landscaping and less $. So happy we chose the Herrod's Palace!!

Stayed July 2014
Needham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I came to Eilat for a business meeting which I take it is somewhat unusual as everyone else appeared to be on holiday. The hotel is very impressive from the outside as well as the lobby and pool areas. Check in was smooth and I had a nice room on the 9th floor overlooking the pool and Red Sea. The room was large with some type of wooden floor, balcony and fridge. Unfortunately, the wifi (which you have to pay for) was very weak in the room. I could barely get reception. And there is no Ethernet option. So I ended up having to walk to the lobby to get reception. Second, when I opened the balcony, I noticed many small ants coming into the room. So I never went out there again! Third, the bathroom always had a smell to it. Fourth, it doesn't appear that they vacuum or sweep the rooms. After the first day, I put a small piece of tissue on the floor to see if it would be there after they cleaned and it was still there. Lastly, the A/C in my room was weak. I slept with it on high and woke up sweating every morning. My colleagues in other rooms did not have this problem so I guess it depends what room you are in. On the plus side, the food in the restaurants was very good. We arrived late the first night and they kept the restaurant open so we could eat. The buffet breakfast was also very good with a large variety of items available. If you're lucky enough to get someone's attention, they will bring you coffee. In general I would say that service in Israel is non-attentive meaning that people will nod and say yes but then not deliver. One example was calling the front desk for towels and them saying "right away sir" but then nothing shows up. Or sitting at the bar for 10 minutes while two workers are standing at the other end talking to each other before coming over to take your order. This wasn't just at this hotel, but pretty consistent all over Israel. The pool area is quite large and I had no problem finding a chair one afternoon. In the morning, it's nice to walk up and down the promenade in front of the ocean. Getting in/out of the property requires your room key. There is a guard during the day and the back door is locked at night for security. I probably could have asked for another room to solve some of the issues I had but I was gone all day in meetings and couldn't be bothered by the time I got back. Don't get me wrong, I do recommend this hotel. But if you get a room that has issues, ask to be moved.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tiberia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We came to the hotel with our kids we wanted to thank the staff and especially to Nicole she welcome us after a small problem.. Only because of her we disayted to stay at the hotel! Thank you so much we will defiantly return!!

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Herods Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!