“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Eilat
Tallinn, Estonia
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Nice and luxurious hotel with excellent location, however try to arrive before or after Shabbat, because quite a few times when we arrived on Shabbat there was a long queue of guests and only one employee in check-in, so we has been waiting for 40 minutes to check-in. No apology, coffee or other drinks were offered. We decided to visit it again in a few years, perhaps they will improve check-in service on Shabbat. Other than that i can say that Herods is superb hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
Rishon Lezion, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We spent 2 nights in a regular room. It was a nice and comfortable room, but the acustics were terrible and we couldn't sleep because of the noise (loud TV and talking) of our next room neighbours.
In the morning we went out and when we came back after noon the room was not clean yet. The maid came just when we wanted to rest, so we had to wait till she finished the cleaning.
The food was excellent. Very reach breakfast and very good dinner, but the service was not so good. We had to ask several times to get some coffee or anything else.
The spa is nice and also the lounge is well equipped.
We come almost every year to Eilat and have been in better hotels (Dan and Herods Vitalis are much better) , almost the same price and with better service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

It's been 2 days since my family returned from our 3-day stay at Herod's Palace, and we are already looking forward to our next visit.

From the moment we arrived, everything was perfect. As a Shamaim club member vacationing during my birthday month, I was entitled to a special discount, but as wonderful as it is to book at a reduced rate, the best thing was the very special greeting I received upon check-in.and the constant warm welcome we received THROUGHOUT our stay. During the 3 days, I was constantly reminded that it was my birthday, and I can't think of a better way to have celebrated the occasion.

Once again, our family had booked 3 executive rooms, and that entitled us to have breakfast in the lovely Tamarind dining room, where the food and service couldn't have been better. As a birthday treat, we were given one free dinner, which consisted of an amazing buffet. We were 7 people, and each one of us had no problem filling (and re-filling) our plates with a large variety of delicious, high quality food.

We truly enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel, which was very elegant and quiet throughout the day.

Many thanks to everyone who was responsible for providing my family with this lovely vacation!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Let's start from when we arrived at 6.20 am on 22nd April. We had booked the Herods Boutique,for myself and my 20 year old son. The Palace was advertised as a 'family hotel', and as my family had grown up we didn't want to stay in a hotel engulfed by children... been there, done that. We were sent from the Boutique to the Palace under the pretence of a check in.
The night porter at the Palace informed that the Boutique was closed due to an imminent 'pool party' for the next 4 days. All 91 rooms were taken. But we had booked many months ago and we didn't want to stay in a 1,000 bedroomed hotel for 'families'. We will upgrade you to VIP status they said. Newly renovated room on the '6th' floor (beware lots of children), use of exec lounge on the 12th floor, use of the Vitalis Spa (in their Herods Vitalis hotel) but never mentioned the breakfast room. We were sent to the large 'family' breakfast room that t 7am in the morning had not been laid out fully, cups missing, llimited choice etc. We had to tolerate this very noisy large room for 2 mornings until such time as I requested (insisted) to be moved to the smaller (VIP) breakfast room. The lady on the desk (believed to be the Manager) told us that the children would be departing by the Thursday 24th. A total fabrication of the truth, in fact after Friday the kindergarten trebled in size, no exageration. Don't get me wrong, I love children but I needed a restful holiday and the children were very unruly and undisciplined. Constant screeming along the 6th floor corridor. This aside, overall it was an excellent hotel, the room was extremely clean and very well decorated and the view was stunning. Breakfast was very good although tea and coffee was served about 10 minutes+ into the breakfast.
Pros: If you have a young family it's the perfect stay. Great location. Good facilities but the poolside was unusable for just couples. Beach just opposite the hotel. Security excellent.
Cons: Wi fi expensive and very slow. Anything below the 10th floor should be avoided by couples. Too many cleaning staff in the lobby late morning. (surely this should be done before wake time!). Limited information from the concierge (maybe it was a language barrier).
SO IF YOU ARE A YOUNG FAMILY ....PERFECT
but not for us......

Room Tip: 10th floor onwards
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

An absolute farce unfortunately. I have spent more holidays in Eilat than I can remember and have often wondered about staying here. It is after all priced at the absolute top end of Eilat hotels and I assumed service would correspond. We stayed for 3 nights at $500 a night in a club room on top floor as this was only availability. Of course the gifts / robes / slippers that are promised for this room (not that they justify the cost) were completely absent. I didn't care enough to complain. They make you sign up front for NIS1000 deposit, which given the cost of the room is not something I have ever had to do and made an uncomfortable first impression. This is to allow you to charge to your room. Which of course I was unable to do any time I tried, much to my frustration, due to some clerical error which of course no one bothered to resolve. Staff were generally disinterested and unhelpful. I had a guy pick out a random English speaking guest from the dinner buffet to come help him deal with (yet another) problem providing what had been ordered - beyond belief.

There is no point going in to a blow by blow account of how every single interaction with staff filled me with dread, knowing that I would have to follow up and likely involve a manager before anything I asked for was dealt with. I wrote a formal complaint to Leonardo who own the chain and they have completely ignored it, hence my writing here. I am not one to vent and generally understand people do their best, and mistakes happen. The attitude of staff at Herod's unfortunately appears to be completely ingrained in the culture of the hotel and I would advise any of my family and friends to avoid at all costs. By comparison, the Dan has always been a complete contrast and is not more expensive. I would never go back to Herod's - for the price the Dan is infinitely better and I would frankly rather stay at the Crowne Plaza / KSP for much less money and a more pleasant experience. Nice as the hotel is, you will never have a 5 star experience here.

My only exception would be the Spa, where staff were friendly and proactively helpful - a rare and welcome reminder of what you expect from a 5* hotel at those rates

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The pool area, boardwalk location, picturesque setting with the Red Sea and the surrounding red toned mountains are gorgeous. We've the hotel and found the Cardo of stores and restaurants perfect. The buffet breakfast was humongous! And beautifully laid out. One complaint; they threw together a breakfast box of pitas and apples even though a full breakfast was ordered properly the day before our tour. We were.very disappointed because we knew what we were missing, The breakfast. was included with our room rates nd they said coffee had to be charged to my room before we checked out. As if coffee at 7:00 isn't a normal part of breakfast.

Room Tip: Pool or sea view. Unless you are a night owl, avoid the noise as music plays near a Tamarind Exit.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We had the opportunity to stay a couple nights at Herod's Palace, Elat, Israel, last month. What a great hotel! To start, we were with a large group but check in was quick and easy. In our room, we were surprised to find a complimentary bottle of wine, a bottle of water, fruit, & some snack wafers on the coffee table. And the room? A spacious bedroom with plenty of closet & drawer space, a balcony with two chaises for lounging, a comfortable living room with frig and teapot for tea or coffee. The hotel in general is luxurious with numerous beautifully decorated sitting areas. I loved the gazelle statuary that was everywhere - especially the one that appeared to be jumping through the glass into the building!! The food was fantastic in selection and taste. I don't know how anyone could expect a larger or more varied selection. The view of the sea was spectacular and the entire hotel/shop complex is incredible. Though we had no interaction with staff, the hotel Wifi was great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Herods Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!