“Good choice, expected more.” 4 of 5 stars

Herods Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   North Beach, Eilat 88000, Israel   |
Ranked #8 of 65 Hotels in Eilat
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Good choice, expected more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days and its my 6th time there.

Room: We ordered 2 standard rooms with connection door. The rooms are pretty big. They include king size bed (that is really big and high!), LCD TV, balcony, closet, Tea&Coffee set, mini fridge and bathroom with towels, shampoo, Conditioner and body cream. All the rooms in Palace have view to the pool and the red sea. The rooms were very clean.

Restaurant: We had breakfast and dinner in the Hotel's restaurant. There is verity of food you can choose from. Although we could feel they got high value groceries, the cooking was unpleasant. The food was unready, for example - every time I tried to take grilled/cooked fish - they were still alive or cooked vegetables such as okra were hard.

Staff: Had really unpleasant experience when I checked in. When I ordered the rooms i specifiably asked rooms on high floor. A day before my arrival I called to the hotel and verified I will get it. When I arrived to the hotel I was offered to "upgrade" and get a suite. I was told that i can go look and if I still want my rooms i will get. After a look I decided to keep my old rooms, but all i faced was poker faces that just ignored me. After an hour when finally I got the rooms, they were at level 6 (from 12). They told me that if i want higher its extra pay. It is my 6th time in this hotel and I was never asked to pay extra, and wasn't told by phone that higher means extra money. After long argument I got on 8th floor. Too bad that because of that my vacation started badly.

Location: The hotel is first line to the red sea, and got its own beach with sunshade and chairs. its located on the north promenade, which close to all the main attractions.

Room Tip: Floors that 7+ are reconditioned. Higher floor - better view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Hebrew first
Rishon Lezion, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've spent a weekend of 3 nights, HB, in the Herods Palace Hotel. This is the main hotel in a complex of 3, the others being the Botique (which was closed due to some business event) and the Vitalis, which is the more expensive, 18+ spa option.

Our room on the 3rd floor was big, comfortable, quiet, and with a decent view, although very far from the elevators. It had a small balcony, a kitchenette, safe, vast bathroom and all the standard furniture. The bed was decent - too bad it's a split bed which we don't like.

Everything was very clean and the service was generally adequate, but nothing special or impressive. This is not the kind of hotel where you feel personally cared for, you feel like "just another customer".

Food was great, with lots of variety and everything was satisfactory, it's a pity some services such as the espresso bar don't work on saturdays!

Overall, it's a nice place to stay with good rooms, good food, a decent pool and beach, but there's nothing about the hotel to make you feel "5 stars". No special treatment, everything requires extra payment (drinks, spa access, etc) so I'm not quite sure this hotel is really worth the cost.

Room Tip: Opt for the Vitalis if possible, spa access and no kids would make this weekend a lot better!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was in Herods this month as part of a group that was having a conference there. When I arrived, the room was not ready and I was informed that they did not know when it would be. There was another couple waiting also for their room who were there for the conference. All of the people that arrived for the conference when I did were already situated in their rooms. I waited over an hour and a half for the room to be cleaned and only was given the room after another member went to speak to someone at the front desk. Supposedly the person at the front desk had forgotten about the room. I find this difficult to believe as I was sitting in one of the sofas right in front of the front desk, but then again anything is possible. I was given a key to a room in the Boutique building. This building does not face the sea. It does however face what seems as an oasis with dead trees. Although the building itself seems modern the room I was in was not. There was a smell of cat urine upon entering the room and although I mentioned it at the front desk, I was told they did not have any other rooms available but they could have it sprayed with a deodorizer. The bathroom ceiling was peeling, there was mildew around the tub and around the caulking on the floor, the soap dish was rusty just to name a few. I complained about the toilet several times as I had to press a button for it to flush sometimes up to 5 or more times for the water to go down. They stated they would send someone to fix it and I know that on two occasions they did not as I was in the room. If they came at another time, they sure did not fix it. By the way, one evening I went to eat at the restaurant in the main building and was told that I could not have dinner there as I had to have dinner at the Boutique building, meanwhile the people staying in the main building can eat in the restaurant at the Boutique. When I spoke to someone at the front desk, I was informed that was their policy...pretty sad......On a positive note, the food was great, the people that work in the restaurant at the Boutique are wonderful and the pool area is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
FattalM, General Manager at Herods Palace Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear sir,
First of all I would like to thank you for writing your comment at TripAdvisor web site.
It was the first time that the IPA congress has held in ISRAEL and the city of EILAT has the privilege to host it at the Herods palace & Herods Boutique.
The massive arrival was on Monday 03rd September and most of the rooms were clean 1 day before.
Unfortunately the reception desk couldn’t give the room keys and only operators from IPA did it alone at private desk for them.
The group spited between the boutique and the palace and the room blocking done in advance by rooming list from IPA’S management.
I was really sorry to see some problems in the room maintenance and right after the group left and before “ROSH HASHANA” holiday
We paint all rooms again including corridors and room balconies.
I am also sorry we didn’t meet together during your stay and thing could have been better right on time.
In the reviews below you can find the fid back we got 2 days before from MR PIERRE MARTIN MULAN the new IPA president , who mentioned that this time was the best time ever.

I hope to see you again in our hotel in the future , I promise to take care personally for your best evaluation
Don’t hesitate to call me or e mail me in advance
Sincerely yours
Simelmits Haim
Boutique hotel manager
haimsi@fattal.co.il
00972-50-4068400
00972-8-6380000
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The biggest World congress of the international police association were held in Herods hotel Eilat. 450 friends from 67 countries came to Israel for the congress.
The co-operation with the managment of the hotel, from the GM to the last waitress was great. The organization, dealing with every problem, around the clock and all over the week, was unbelivble. The food, drinks, special ocations, Gala diner, opening ceremony, were pefect and much more. According to the reflections of our guests, it was the best congress.
On behalf of IPA Israel i would like to thank the great staf of Herods hotel for an unforgeteble event!
Dr. Eran Israel
Seceratery general of IPA Israel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We expected more of this hotel. We spent the last weekend in Herods Palace. Maybe it's because of the hollidays but the stuff wasn't very plasan, The pool and the restaurant were too crowded and the overall experience was just OK and nothing more.

Room Tip: get a high floor with a view to the pool and sea.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Little Switzerland, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Police officers from 70 countries came to Eilat for the XXth World Congress of the International Police Association, organised by Israël section, between Sept 3rd and 8th. Many guests joined also the event. All of us stayed in the Herods Palace hotel. Accommodation, congress, food, leisure : all took place in this hotel. I sincerely recommend this hotel to anyone, for business stay, vacation, between friends or together with a family. The outstanding welcome and work put in by the staff of the hotel makes the difference and guaranteed to all of us a unforgettable stay. A very special mention and thank you for Mrs Racheli Amsalem, Congress Center Manager, who coordinated everything for all of us, almost day and night, with such a professionalism, efficiency and kindness.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed there for 5 nights, with our 2 years old son.
Hotel is simply beautiful, looks like a Vegas hotel without the plastic feeling.
We were supposed to stay for 4 nights and added another night because we just couldnt leave.

Don't miss out on the breakfast - you can easily skip lunch after it, just dont expect any meat like in European hotels.
We have no doubt about our hotel selection next time we are in Eilat - and that says it all.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of the red sea
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Herods Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!