“Huge dissapointment!” 3 of 5 stars

Ashdod, Israel
“Huge dissapointment!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

the bad things:

i had the delux room which costed me over 1000 nis per one night(!) and i wouldn't even give this room a five star. not good value for the money at all.
they charge you 50 nis for a balcony redicously small, two people cannot stand there.
the curtain is not big enough for the window. so the sun will wake you up at 5 am.
the pool closes at 1700 and it's small and water is too cold not enough seating places for all guests,
the shower pressure is terrible.
no room service in shabath!!!
the tv is very poor quality.
no robes or slippers in the rooms ("only in suites") every normal 5 star hotel i've been into had all these things...
the refrigarator is very noisy, another thing that will hurt your sleep.
the elevators are ugly and dirty from the outside and the hotel is old already and in need of renovation.
almost no entartainment for guests.
the lower rooms has a view of a roof!

to be fair a few good things:
the hotel is pretty from the outside
location is great it can't get more centrall then this
the breakfast was exellent.
it was clean
the bed was comfy enough

but still, if you are going to spend alot of money on a costy hotel there are a lot of better options in eilat! i've been to a fiew 4 star hotels around the world that were better then this one.
can;t believe it's a "HILTON".

Room Tip: request a high floor. second floor has a view of the roof. this hotel has three room tipes: delu...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Hebrew first
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Reason for stay in Eilat: Eilat is definitely the best part of Israel. It’s on the Red Sea, relaxing and it’s around 42 degrees every day in Autumn. It’s never cold there! I went to Eilat with my family for 5 nights. There are markets, awesome restaurants, Ice Space, Dr Dug, water sports, Segway hire, tax free shopping…the list goes on! My family and I bought 2 Plaza Suites (RRP: $1300, per room per night). We got an awesome deal on www.priceline.com.

Location: Right on the water. The water is not great for swimming, but if you choose to do so, the hotel has its own private beach area. Underneath the hotel there are amazing shops (tax-free of course). There is a shopping centre 5 minutes away by foot. There is a cool market below at night.

Hotel common area: reception was amazing. As VIPs, we were allowed to check in on the 8th floor executive lounge. Daily, there would be lovely finger food and drinks served. There was also free internet in the lounge. The main reception was beautiful. Mosaics and beautiful hand-painted ceilings. The hotel certainty kept to the theme’ Queen of Sheba’. The lifts were beautiful glass cylinders. There were 12 floors. The pool is amazing. There are 4 pools: a baby pool, 2 shallows ones and a long rectangular one. There are always 2 life guards on duty. There are kiosks and restaurants. There is a massive buffet breakfast on the ground level. The food is AMAZING! Parking is free and underground. Pets are allowed. There is a kids club too.

Hotel room: The plaza suite was nothing I had ever seen before…. In the main area, there was a MASSIVE room. Inside there was a couch, a dining table, small fridge area and a bathroom (shower, toilet, etc). Attached to the room was another massive room Inside there was a Hollandia Bed ( the most comfortable bed ever with a built-in massage and it elevates and folds electronically). There was a second full bathroom with hand painted clouds on the ceiling. In both bathrooms, there was Crabtree and Evelyn products (very high end beauty products). Wrapped around the suite was a massive balcony with an outdoor dining area. There was also a private jaccuzzi. The view was of the ocean, the pool and the lagoon. You would be a fool to not stay here!!

VIP amenities: access to fitness club, executive room and vip breakfast. Fitness club: usually costs extra to enter, however as a VIP you may enter for free. There is a hot tub and a small gym. I did not go, however, my brother informed me that the gym assistant was extremely rude and intimidating. The man kept watching him while he worked out. Perhaps he was gay?? It was not very appropriate the way he followed my brother. The executive lounge was phenomenal. It was full of international magazines, gourmet finger food, alcohol and bottled drinks. @ girls (both light brown long hair) were amazing and would go out of their way to ensure we could make bookings at restaurants. Food was changed twice a day. Deserts were amazing. There was large balcony attached so you could eat outside. There was also a room attached with 2 computers ( a bit slow) but they had free internet. The VIP breakfast was amazing. It was on level 12 of the hotel in the Japanese restaurant. We were sent a lovely invitation inviting us to the breakfast. A very tall South African man warmly invited us into the restaurant and offered us outstanding service like never before. I felt at home and we were offered to eat whatever we liked. This nice man definitely was one of the highlights at the hotel as he was very inviting and friendly.

I highly recommend this hotel. I have been to Israel nearly 7 times now. In Israel I find the standard of the hotels to be extremely poor. I’ve stayed at the Dan hotels and have felt like walking out. Customer service is so bad overall in Israel. Tax is excruciatingly high and consumer protection laws are non-existent. However, my attitude towards Israel changed when I came to this hotel. I felt like I had the modern luxuries that we have at home in Australia, whether it be amazing customer service, high quality food or crisp cotton bed sheets fit for a king. This hotel is definitely the best one in Israel and is in Israel’s best location. I would like to thank the Hilton Queen of Sheba staff (especially the lovely man in the VIP breakfast restaurant) for making this stay in Israel the most memorable yet!

Room Tip: Get a suite- well worth the money. Add it to your bucket list- a must!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Sandra_Amram, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
13 October 2011

Dear Lelise20,

I am very happy to read that your stay with us was amazing.

Your report on Eilat and on the Hotel is very interesting and rich with effective information.

I wish to explain that the hotel does not have a privet beach anymore. The use of the beach is free but the services cost money.

It was also very nice to read how satisfied you were with our hotel staff. We are all the time making trainings for each team member to develop their skills and their knowledge about the hospitality.

We will be more than happy if you decide to become a Hilton Honor Member.

You can contact our property and we will make sure that you receive all the explanations.

I hope we will see you in the future as our returning guest.

Best wishes,
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

After a one night stay at this Hilton I found out what was really going on with this Hilton....... 1/2 of the Hotel is renivated and 1/2 of the hotel is like a Days Inn. The problem is they will only give you a room in the new 1/2 if you pay full price......So if you find a deal for the Hilton or stay on points. I would suggest you go somewhere else since the will never give you a room in the new 1/2

Room Tip: Call ahead and make sure you have a new renivated room if not cancel your reservation
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sandra_Amram, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear guest,

Your review is very surprising. We have a selection of different rooms in the hotel but neither are renovated differently than others. Each category of rooms has its price and attributes. We offer deluxe, junior family rooms and suites. More details on your comment will help me understand it better. Please do contact me or a guest relations representative.
Davina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at the weekend.
Excellent location, close to the boardwalk and entertainment area
The service was very courteous and the breakfast was excellent, with a vast selection
We were staying in a regular room with a sea view and it was quite spacious
The pool really fun, especially little ones who really shady pool
The hotel has a beach but we preferred to travel to the city's south beach which 10 min by car/taxi
We think it is more quiet and you can snorkeling and see interesting things

In summary,
If you arrive to Eilat
The hotel is highly recommended

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sandra_Amram, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
09 September 2011

Dear Amirll,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the location of our hotel.

I'm delighted that you were satisfied with our services and the helpfulness of our staff. I highly appreciate your comments on the quality of the breakfast and also on the room and its view.

Should your travel bring you back to Eilat in the future, my team and I would be delighted if you choose our hotel again to be your "home away from home".

Yours sincerely,

Guest relation manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I am writing to you with regards to my recent stay with my wife and daughter at the Hilton Queen of Sheba Hotel in Eilat.

As someone who spendsan average of 100 nights per year staying in various hotels around the world, and this is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a review. However, due to the disgraceful standard of almost every aspect of my stay I feel that I have no choice other than to bring this situation to your attention.

If you ask anyone for words associated with the Hilton brand, I am sure you will hear quality, excellence, customer service, cleanliness etc, and that is one of the reasons why I chose to stay at your hotel for my recent family break. Usually we stay at the Royal Garden but I decided to move to your hotel in search of a little more “luxury”.

We booked the hotel through Daka90 on Sunday 28th August and we booked a Deluxe Suite with a balcony and sea view and a baby cot for 2 nights from the 29th August. We decided to drive from our home in the North of Israel, and due to the fact that we were travelling with our baby daughter we decided to leave home at 6am. On the 28th August I called the hotel a total of 21 times, spending a total of 4 hours on hold to speak to reception to request an early check in. Every time I called, reception was busy and I was placed on hold again and again. It was only at 8pm that I finally got through and spoke to Megan and she explained that the hotel was 96% full and I should arrive at the hotel as planned and only then would you attempt to deal with my request.

So, we arrived at the hotel at 10.30am and checked in but no rooms were available. I was told that I would receive an SMS when my room was available and at 1pm (after I had seen several other people check in and receive key cards) I started to complain. I was told that my room type was not available yet and that housekeeping would clean a room for me soon. I asked the receptionist to find out from housekeeping how long that would take and she refused. Only after I got very frustrated did Megan finally call them and then I was told the room would be available at 1.30pm. I was also told that I had received an upgraded room.

At 1.30 we were given the keycard for our room (number 878). I was a little frustrated that this room was the room furthest from the elevator, and even more frustrated that this was the room next to the entrance to the business lounge meaning lots of noise outside with people coming and going all day which with a baby who sleeps during the day was less than ideal. However, that was nothing compared to what happened when we entered the room. Firstly the view of the sea that we had booked and paid for was actually a view of the Laguna and then when I walked into the bathroom I was faced with the unthinkable… I looked in the bath and spotted several pubic hairs left there.

I immediately went back to reception and spoke to Megan who firstly checked what room type we had booked and she then confirmed that a mistake had been made and I should have had a sea view room. She was also very embarrassed by the pubic hairs in the bath and apologized profoundly. She immediately upgraded us to a suite on the 10th floor. So, we moved to the suite (1011) which did have a sea view, BUT did not have a balcony. The tiled area of the floor near the kitchenette had not been cleaned and I noticed several stains on the carpet of the lounge. The blackout curtains each had several holes in them and when I entered the bathroom I noticed THICK mould growing all over the filter above the toilette. Not only is this mould unpleasant to look at, it also poses a serious heath risk. The chairs in the room were all damaged and chipped and we were unable to open one of the closet doors in the room due to the bedside table being too big for the room. The entire room was a disaster. However, it was now almost 3pm and I did not want to waste any more time.

We asked for the cot to be sent to the room and we were told that it would be sent in a few minutes. So, we then went to the pool only to see that it was closed due to a small child pooping in the pool. I fully appreciate that this is something out of the hotel's control and they need to make the water safe before it can be re opened. We were told by the life guard that the pool would re open at 4pm. So at 4pm my wife asked Alex (the life guard) why the pool wasn’t open and he said it would open at 4.30pm. 1 minute later I decided to ask the SAME life guard if that was realistic or not, and he then told me 5pm. I asked him why he said 4.30pm to my wife a minute prior to telling me 5pm and also asked him if it was likely that at 5pm it would become 6pm etc. He them muttered something to me in Hebrew and I asked him to speak to my in English and he laughed at me and walked away. I insisted he spoke to me in English and he told me he didn’t speak English. I can not believe for a second that a lifeguard at the Hilton doesn’t speak English, and even if he didn’t speak English he should not deal with a paying guest in that fashion.

The pool finally opened at 4.45pm and after a swim we were returning to our room when I saw 2 smartly dressed me in the coffee lounge and I asked if they either of them were the hotel manager. One of them, Roi explained that he was the food and beverage manager, and that although guest relations wasn’t his area, he would listen to my issues and help in anyway he could. I explained all of the above to him and he was genuinely shocked. He said he would escalate it for me and see what could be done to improve our stay. I was very grateful for his time and I feel he did as much as he could to help us.

When I returned to our room the baby cot had still not arrived so I called reception and I was told that despite the fact that I had booked the cot in advance and that I was one of the first people to check in, there was a problem. I was told that you were very short on cots, and the only ones available were broken and that you were trying to fix them as quickly as possible. So, my baby was had to sleep on our bed (risking falling on the floor during her sleep) whilst you “fixed your broken cots”

I went to reception an hour later to see how things were progressing with the cot during which time my wife called me to tell me that a cot had arrived and the Housekeeping Manager was also in our room to assess the situation. She was very apologetic but could offer us little by means of a solution.

During our stay we were sent bath robes, 2 bottles of water, a fruit platter, an Ahava “Starter Kit” and complimentary coffee, cake and ice cream vouchers BUT none of this makes up for the awful customer service and filthy rooms.

I wrote a letter of complain (sent by email) to the hotel manager and they simply wrote me a standard letter offering to upgrade my room on my next stay at the hotel. I also contacted the Hilton Head Office in the US and almost a week later they are yet to reply. I will never stay in another Hilton Hotel again.

Scott C, Israel

Room Tip: None of them
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

There are ten big hotels that have a high price-tag on them.. this is one of them and this is by far the BEST. We stayed here 4 times and I admit, I can't always afford to stay here because I travel alot but I wish I could because this hotel should be rated #1.

Something is seriously wrong with TripAdvisor and its rating system. The top 6 TA listed hotels in Eilat are the biggest rip-off dumps that are well known to tourists who travel there. One even changed its name 8 times in 12 years it had such a bad reputation.

Room Service at the Sheba is top notch 5 star and not too expensive. The artwork and pool areas are very beautiful and tasteful. Have a concern, the management at the Sheba will be up to correct in less than 10 minutes. When you stay at the Sheba.. go up to the top floor and check out Yokimono and the view from the top balcony. They have the best sushi in all of Israel but unfortunately the menu was destroyed by Ultra Religious restrictions which won't allow them to serve world class sushi.

The spa is reasonable.. (not as good as Herod's) and all the parts of the hotel are not hitting you with extra charges. This is one of the only hotels in Eilat with drink prices that are not jacked up. The bartender may have some specialties so as him/her what they make the best and you will be surprised.

Cleanliness: GREAT ! The Sheba will have your room clean when come back and there are safes in the room to lock up your valuables. Unlike isrotel which has serious problems with rooms not being kept, the Sheba has 5 Star service.

MOST IMPORTANT : This is one of two hotels in Israel where the front desk staff enjoy helping customers and the SPEAK CORRECT ENGLISH. Some speak fluent russian and spanish as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Sandra_Amram, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
30 August 2011

Dear Don R,

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor with regards your recent stay.

We are happy to read that you were satisfied with our services and facilities.

We are glad you liked our Yakimono restaurant and his view. As it is a kosher restaurant we have strict rules about what we can serve and how. Because of this as you wrote we do not have everything what you can find in a regular Japanese restaurant but we try to compensate it whit our tasty kosher Japanese Specialities.

Thank you very much for your praise about our service. As an international company we are paying special attention for the staff we are hiring. For us it is really important that our staff would be able to communicate with our guests coming from all over the world.

I would like to thank you again your valuable feedback. I truly hope to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Yours truly,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The hotel is one of the best in Eilat, if not the best.
Rooms are comfortable and spacious. Staff is professional and friendly.
The free car parking is a real asset in this area.
The swimming pool is nice and beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view and high floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sandra_Amram, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
22 August 2011

Dear Szeev,

I wish to thanks you for your king words regarding the service of the staff, the hotel pool and your overall impression from your stay.

We hope to see you again in the future as one of our returning guests.

Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba

Been to Hilton Eilat Queen of Sheba? Share your experiences!