“I had no choice...I was forced to stay here” 2 of 5 stars

Astral Village Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kamen Street | 4, Eilat 88100, Israel   |
Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Eilat
Jerusalem, Israel
“I had no choice...I was forced to stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed at the Astral Village hotel in Eilat from February 26, 2012 till March 1, 2012. I was " forced" to stay at this hotel for professional reasons. I was traveling with a group of 40 tour guide students from Israel and this hotel was booked through a tour operator. I have no idea what it cost the Tour Guide School, but I am sure we got a good deal because there were two other Tour Guide Schools at the hotel at the same time!!

This hotel was pretty low for my tastes. Upon pulling up to the Astral Village you could see that it was in desperate need of help. The outside awning which "welcomed" us was torn and dirty. The hotel is the minimal Israeli style, although the pool area is nice. The chaise lounges were pretty shabby but were plentiful.
The rooms are low rise dwellings with nothing fancy. We had to switch rooms 4 times. The first room was very noisy and off the main highway, the second room smelled of cigarette smoke and the third room had one double bed (I was traveling with a fellow, female student and we didn't want to sleep in the same bed). The hotel was actually tolerant of us wanting to switch rooms. BUT.. the service ended there.
The room we finally ended up with had smelly and stained curtains and drapes and a broken shelf in the closet. We figured that was about the best we could get.
We were not at all pleased with the maid service. We didn't let them in for the first two days and when we finally did let the maid service to "clean" the room, we found that they 1.) had removed all the toiletries they had given us,2.) The beds had not been made 3.) the floors were dirtier then when we left them, 4.) we only had 1/2 roll of toilet paper when we left and only had 1/2 roll of toilet paper when we got back in 5.) they had not replaced any of the towels. It took one and a half hours to rectify this situation.
Also, our keys magically did not work on day 3. That fiasco took another hour and a half to rectify.
The dining room was poor by even minimal standards. Day 1 there was a "toastie machine" and the next 4 days it was gone. There was regular cheese for a few days and then it was gone. I did not eat dinner at the hotel.
All in all, I was very happy to finally check out and go home.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room, switch it until you get it right
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hebrew first
Jerusalem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

The layout of the hotel is fun. Small cottages with paths, around the main pool area. The food was good. There was no lobby service, and the parking situation was horrible, one narrow horse shoe shaped path around the exterior of the area, which you had to back out of when you did not find a parking place.
The pool area was extremely nice, and it was easy to find private areas outside to sit and read. Staff was helpful.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. Close to the pool is convenient, but maybe noisy. Best stay away from thos...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Great Neck, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Rooms are old and small and smell of smoke!
Food is poor!
Beds not comfortable!
yet not expensive

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

been to astral village last month (dec 2011)
pleasant stay, realy good brerakfast and dinner.
rooms are all on ground floor, what essure slight noise at those rooms close to main building but realy not somthing to be bothered of, at off season (israeli summer and holidays).
the main drawbac is the room size pretty small, windows faces the walkway which effects
room intimacy.
had a problem with a room door that didnt open easy, few attmaptsby hotel' maintenance to fix it didnt succeed.
hotel has pleasant small swimming pool.
located only few minutes walk away from all main attractions in city.
over all : a good choice to enjoy what eilat has to offer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I write this review as I sit in front of a super nice and clean swimming pool which still has a life guard even though even the tourists r not using since it is unusually cold for eilat at this time of year-around 18c. But still the beds are all ready and spread out evenly and the cabana-beds are all being used by ppl sitting around the pool.
Astral village is one of the nicest hotels which is advertised as a 4*.
First of all, the location is fine-if u don’t feel like a 10min walk to the sea(which will take u through the local walk board filled with shops and stalls for trinkets) then a short and relatively cheap drive (about 15sh) will do the trick. There is an expensive but a 24h supermarket 2min away-convenient.
The water in elat is drinkable and tasty-a tip for tourists that there is no reason to buy bottled and there is a cold water cooler right by the pool so u can fill yo bottles.
The food is fabulous because it is fresh and most of all-tasty. A great variety for breakfast as well as dinner. Many salads, freshly, various meats and carbs-the deserts r vast(even though most of them were not as tasty as the food itself). Hot-dogs and other goodies for kids (or adults). On Friday night the sweet wine is in a different size bottle then the usual kidush wine we are used to getting in other hotels-it is much bigger and u can easily get 2-3 glasses out of it-It is also very tasty since it is by Barkan company, hence it is good quality. Also, white table- cloths and fancy napkins are appreciated by us for Friday dinner. The sorbet is all u can eat-serve it to yourself and it is vanilla, chocolate and most impressive and tasty one was strawberry. Hot chocolate and cones-the kid’s heaven. Even though it is parve(no milk) it was fantastic: smooth and full of flavor.
Notice that the cups for coffee/tea r regular size in the dining room which saves time and annoyance at having to get up to get seconds and thirds like in other hotels-a small but very nice detail we appreciated.
At the end of the dinner, a server came up to us(and I think to most of the diners) and asked what we thought and how the food was-we had never experienced this before at any other hotel and liked it since it showed us that the hotel cares what we think. The girl at the entrance for Friday breakfast was friendly, all smiles and chatty-genuine- we are the kind of ppl who appreciate that!
The rooms are spacious, immaculately cleaned with nice soft sheets, comfy mattress and big bathroom. There is a basic tv-but who comes on vacation to watch tv anyway-I hope they will NOT change it to big plasma.
I asked for extra coffee packets and extra milk packets for the room-more then once-it was brought to us immediately. I asked for an extra blanket and we had it in our room within few min. The electric outlet by the bed wasn’t working properly-within 5min a guy came to the room and fixed it. We appreciate the fast and courteous service-that’s a 5*treatment.
The hotel is organized in such a way that all the rooms r on the ground by each other-with many kids around it might be a bit of a problem cause when ppl r walking by your room-it can be a bit noisy-but this is a family oriented hotel so it is to be expected. Our room (304) was RIGHT on the swimming pool with a little sitting area right outside the entrance-we love that.
There is something really nice and sweet about this hotel-the “energy” is very positive and we do recommend it strongly.

Room Tip: if u want to be close to the pool and not walk to far-ask for it at the front desk. room 304 was sup...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Myself and my wife had a few options of placed to stay and we decided to stay at the Astral Village. We did not expect it to be in the 'village' layout but we were not disappointed. All the rooms are on the same level which makes a great place to stay for the handicapped. The guests in the hotel mainly comprised of families with children so the hotel was always bustling during the day with people in the pool and in and around the hotel. I noticed that there were activities going on in the hotel for children to keep them occupied. The staff were pleasant and the room service was pretty fast.

The room was fine, beds extremely comfortable and both the room and bathroom was spotless. The air conditioning was top notch and we certainly needed it down there. 42 degrees Celsius every day! The rooms were cleaned every day and beds made.

The food in the hotel was excellent with a huge variaty to choose from, changing from night to night where as the breakfast stayed the same, although it was still fabulous with a wide selection of things to eat.

The beach is a few minute walk down the road and there are many places to go along the coastline.

I would defiantly stay here again and I recommend this hotel, especially if you have children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room either neer the exit gate or neer the back entrance to the hotel, making your walk to...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I booked this hotel through hotels.com, stay there for 17 to 20 August 2011, paying in advance for the whole night.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that the reservation was not. I tried repeatedly to contact hotels.com for help and resolve the situation, because I had taken all the money from credit card. The managers of the hotel said that hotel Astral Village was fully booked.
I have discussed with the managers of the hotel for three hours, in the meantime trying to get help from hotels.com and sending numerous emails, but not getting anything.
After three hours of waiting in the hotel lobby, I asked to call the police. Suddenly, the managers of the hotel told me that there was a room available, although up to then had said that the hotel was full.
They told me to wait a few minutes to clean the room (it was 5 o'clock in the afternoon ...) and they gave me a room.
The room I had been given was not much, but we were tired and we were not satisfied even 4 stars as written on the site.
After a while, we realized that there were some strange holes in the wall. When my girlfriend opened a cabinet beneath the oven, she jumped in the air because he saw a mouse running away.
The cabinet was also a trap for rats and several mouse droppings. A truly disgusting.
I went straight to speak with the conductor, a Liran, who verified that c'erabo mouse traps and mouse droppings in the room.
But later, this manager did not even give me the paper check out. After another two hours of deliberations and after a further threat to call the police, they gave me the sheet required.
A real fraud against us.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Astral Village Hotel? Share your experiences!