“Experience the Real Food of Israel” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 478 Activities in Israel
Type: Tours, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Orly Ziv a clinical nutrionist who love food, cooking and entertaining people from all over the worl in her home. Orly will introduce to you Israel through the flavors and tastes by cooking with you traditional recipes. A special experience that tourists do not get normally.
Toronto, Canada
“Experience the Real Food of Israel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

When going to Israel, it is so easy to get immersed in museums, historic sites and thousands of years of history, that one can leave the country having "seen" it, but not having experienced it. A cooking class with Orly brings multi-cultural Israel to life thru the highly enjoyable experience of smelling, tasting, choosing ingredients, and cooking delicious food. Our day started with an insider's tour of the Carmel market in Tel Aviv. Orly took us to hole-in-the-wall bakeries that we never could have found on our own, to taste different breads and bourekas; spice shops to smell and taste spices used by Israel's many cultural groups; an olive oil tasting; a falafel ball (and sauce) tasting; etc. - so many different tastes and smells! The morning also included a breakfast in a small market cafe, where we could watch the restaurant workers making a huge pot of hoummos - when consumed, the restaurant would close until the next day and the next batch! After going thru the market, tasting and buying ingredients, we then proceeded to Orly's home, where we put together a delicious mutli-course lunch, using our market purchases, under Orly's kind supervision. The day just seemed to fly by, and both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience and would highly recommend it to others. We just arrived home, and we have already started using Orly's recipes, replicating our Tel Aviv lunchtime feast - the perfect way to bring a little bit of Israel home with us.

Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Highlight of My Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

It was so wonderful to spend the day with Orly. She has a true passion for excellent wholesome food and thorough knowledge of the market. She is personable, patient and kind. The time spent in the market equipped me with priceless knowledge of new foods that I will share in my cooking classes back in the States. To be invited into her home where the recipes were prepared and then hosted at the table with her family is an experience I hope to repeat. Next time I am going to sign up for more than one day!
Warmest Regards,
Debbie Boroughs

Olympia, Washington, United States
“Awesome experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you want a "back stage" look at Israel, it's people and cuisine you will want to join Orly and her family for this! The tour started out with a traditional Israeli breakfast. She was an excellent guide through the Carmel Market, teaching us about spices, nuts, grains and how to choose an eggplant. We got to go to an "out of the way" from the normal tourist route to see how three different kinds of pita are made! Back at her home we were warmly welcomed by her husband, Ben. We prepared so many dishes I lost count and then we sat to eat and enjoy warm conversation. It was such an amazing experience and I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity! It was exactly what I was hoping for!

Medina, Ohio
“Fantastic Opportunity!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Cooking with Orly was fantastic! It was a private tour of the sights and sounds and tastes of Israel. The tour of the Marketplace and cooking with her in her home were an opportunity of a lifetime. You must meet this gracious lady and experience the delicious cuisine! Mary Ann S

Toronto, Ontario
17 attraction reviews
“A great way to spend the day, experience the market, and eat VERY well!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My sister and I took the cooking course while our husbands went scuba diving for the day. We were sorry that they didn’t join us as they both would have enjoyed the experience. (And the scuba diving was very disappointing – but there’s a separate review on that subject!)
We had a terrific time. Orly is knowledgeable and easy going. The day started with the Carmel market – where we toured and ate and shopped– including a Yemenite bakery that would have been impossible for a tourist to find without very explicit instructions.
Orly instructed, involved, and fed us throughout our time together, culminating in a delicious dinner that we ate with Orly’s husband and children. She also managed the menu so that I could eat just about everything we cooked despite my gluten intolerance. I now have a great substitute for a gluten free tabouli – cauliflower (really!)
A great way to spend the day, experience the market, and eat VERY well!