“Amazing time travel experience” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$340*
and up
Ephesus and the House of Virgin Mary Day Trip...
Ranked #1 of 42 Attractions in Selcuk
Type: Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Surrey, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing time travel experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you like history and architecture, this is the place to be. The tourist guide was very good in explaining all the buildings and artifacts. Just like travel back in time 8000 years ago. I will definitely recommend to this place

• Chinese (Traditional) first
terre haute, IN
7 attraction reviews
“Hot in Ephasus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

well worth the trip, but be prepared to sweat. We went from Kusadasi, using a private taxi service, Ali Baba Taxi, and had a great day, thanks I. part to our driver.

Los Angeles, California
“Great history but hot and a ton of walking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Great place to see if you're a hardcore history buff or a Greco-Roma phile. Even if you're not, you can still enjoy the atmosphere of being in a real and recent major archaeological dig. The only downsides are the hot sweltering weather and the long amounts of walking to see the good parts. Also I'd recommend a guided tour if you don't know your Ionians from your Corinthians.

29 attraction reviews
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Incredible sight. I arrived, unknowingly, at the LOWER gate a little after the first tour groups began arriving at the upper gate, I imagine. So I had the theater to myself and it was wonderful. I went through the actors' entrance tunnel to the stage, then sat in the VIP section and then further up (be careful!) You can really imagine the dramas, gladiators, and St. Paul. Directly ahead as you look out from the top seats is the harbor road, along which visitors would enter from the long-gone harbor. So by coming in the lower gate it was as if I were an ancient traveler! Next up was the agora, which now is nothing much. But then the library, with it's inscriptions, Corinthian columns, (fake) statues (the real ones are in Vienna), and...tour groups. Be prepared for that. Lots of them, all the way up the road. The public latrine was fun as always, as was trying to read the Latin inscriptions (most were in Greek though, from what I could see.) I worked my way up the road and through the tour groups in the hot sun (bring water!) doing the tour "in reverse" until I reached the Odeon, a small theater. Being alone and not really liking guides, I brought along the Rick Steves app so I could listen to his audio guide, but since I was going backwards I had to read it. Still, at the very least it was good because I think otherwise I would've missed the little menorah carved into the step at the library.
Give yourself two hours, more if you do the Terrace Houses, which show how the rich lived and have some nice mosaics, but cost extra. Take water, use sunscreen, and imagine what life must have been like.

Woodstock, GA
11 attraction reviews
“Important archaeological ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was one of the most impressive areas in my visit to Turkey because of the extensive, well-preserved ruins. We visited all the sites including the House of the Virgin Mary, the apostle Paul's burial site and places where he preached, Terrace Houses, and St. John's Basilica.