“For Special Occasions” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #139 of 11,048 Restaurants in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, Turkish, Fusion
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Indiana
“For Special Occasions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

An acquaintance treated us to an evening at Ulus 29. Stunning view, artfully prepared food, elegant decor, and glittering clientele put this place on an elite list for special occasions. Prices are high but I'd plump for it occasionally.

I was surprised to see that some others had had poor service here. Not us - there seemed to be a constantly circling flock of servers in our part of the restaurant. Horrible traffic also caused us to be about 40 minutes late for our reservation but they kindly saved our table for us. But since our friend is a regular there, we may have benefited from that relationship.

Here's a little tip: because there are glass walls to take advantage of the views, it can be chilly in cold weather. Bring a jacket or shawl.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
“Not many options and incredibly over priced. Also way out of town”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Largely ignored by waiting team, with no check in / greeting by any senior person there for a warm welcome.

Requested for an outside table 2 months in advance but was declined.

Waiters' English level was poor an we had to rely on the one waiter who spoke some. Since he was so busy, we were left passed over when we needed anything by everyone else.

Menu selection was limited for crazy prices. Not worth the long distance needed to reach it if base in the city centre.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Istanbul, Turkey
“Great view, good food, on the expensive side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I go to this restaurant maybe once in a coupe of months when I have visitors from across the border or I have a business dinner or just want to have good food.

The view of the bosphorus is likely one of the best in Istanbul (if not the best), where you can see both of the bridges that connect Asia and Europe at the same time (that is, if you can get one of the well placed tables).

The food is really nice, debatable if they justify the price, but still very nice. You need to book early to get a table with a proper view.

Later at night the place turns into a bar, but I don't have any experience with the bar setting.

Overall this is a very nice (kind of posh) restaurant with a great view. Recommended esp. for tourists and business dinners.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Go for a drink, enjoy the view, but don't expect genuine fine dining”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Beautiful view, lovely decor, but terrible service and food. We booked this restaurant several days in advance, believing the hype we expected something amazing. After looking at the menu ( we expected the offer of a tasting menu but they recently stopped this) i asked the waiter if certain dishes contained a vegetarian stock and he offered a vegetarian menu, this contained some adapted starters and 4 very plain mains like steamed veg with boiled rice and pasta dishes... Really? I was happy with choosing an interesting starter but in conversation with my waiter on how to adapt a meal on the main menu to be without meat went really badly, he was rude and dismissive and I got quite upset. My starter was fine, not the tastiest meze I have had, for my main I got 6 burnt vegetables with undressed rocket leaves and sushi rice. this is from a menu full of beautiful sounding prepared vegetable sides. Unfortunately my husbands lamb dish was tasteless and my friends fish was overlooked and soggy. We hoped the desserts would be better but my profiteroles were rock hard! We complained to the manager and had the 1 1/2 main meals I was charged for taken off and the profiteroles and we didn't pay service. The place is too big, the menu is too extensive and the staff are not trained in discreet service. The chef won't alter anything on the menu to help you, everything is totally overpriced and the food is certainly not fine dining which the price and menu suggest. Don't waste your money here much better places in Istanbul!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Amberg, Germany
“Exquisite View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We really enjoyed this place. Excellent wine selection and a helpful sommelier. We had starters, mains, and dessert, all of which were nicely presented and delicious. The view is impossible to beat.

• 5 of 5 stars Food