“First Time Lucky ??” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North

You added Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North
5.0 of 5 Inn   |   Tasocagi Yolu Cad. No 35 Mahmutbey, Bagcilar, Istanbul 34217, Turkey   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #237 of 829 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Pretoria, South Africa
“First Time Lucky ??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have been staying at various other properties in Istanbul during the last 4 years. This one was recommended by a co-traveller on a long haul flight at the end of 2013. The location suited me perfect halfway between the city and airport. Business centre area worked well for meetings I had. WiFi initially a bit tricky but then worked well. Bandwidth seem to a be a problem though. Found the staff friendly and willing to help. Enjoyed the quietness of the hotel that was surprising despite the fact that the hotel is next to the highway network. Small irritations like a smell in the room as there is no windows to open for natural airflow. Asked the housekeeping staff to 'perfume' the room nothing done about it. Room control not up to standard resulting in having to ask for shampoo & shower gel. Safe in the room not working properly. The Tulip restaurant closed unannounced resulting in having to make use of the Saltanat with a very limited menu. I will be giving the property another chance during a visit in early July and then decide for the future

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
burcu t, Asst. Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Yusuf MAYDA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This Holiday Inn is rather tired, outdated, and in desperate need of maintenance to 21th century standards. Pictures below to highlight what I mean. Check-in clerk told me I had reserved a smoking room, when I had reserved a non-smoking room. Also, tried to upsale me for 65 euros - which I felt was very cheeky. After all, a hotel room is not like going to McDonalds - I ordered what I wanted. I told the clerk that actually I expected to get upgraded for free, considering my track record of being a high level Priority Club member for such a long time. When I got to my room (he "changed" it to non-smoking), I double-checked my reservation, and I had ordered non-smoking, so the mistake was their computer, and personally, I have an issue when my credibility as a customer is questioned. I also was not pleased with the TV in the room, which did not have an input for my computer - this is almost a standard capability in modern hotels. So, I called to complain about how I was treated and also because I wanted a room with a better TV. So, the manager did upgrade me to a suite, where, ironically, the TV was exactly the same, so it did not really help in that way, but maybe all the rooms have the same issue. The room, as stated, was definitely not up to the standards that I would expect, and again, you can see the pictures below with some of my comments. The fitness center also was very disappointing - very bad air circulation, not aesthetic, and the equipment is outdated (no TV on the treadmills and they were in Turkish, difficult to set up). On a positive note, the quality of the room service food was very good.

Room Tip: Getting an executive room includes free access to the mini-bar - this was a nice and fun surprise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Cincykid77,

Ferdinand G.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Finding this hotel on the GPS was a little tricky as it was not listed but we found the Mahmutbey area and then saw the hotel logo on what is one of the taller buildings in the area. Car parking is free of charge. Hotel check in was a little slow. The lobby is quite pleasant but the floor corridors and accommodation rooms (1105) are quite dark and dimly lit. I understand hotels are trying to save cost on energy but not at the expense of the paying guest. WiFi Internet is free of charge for room guests and is a good signal. There is nothing impressive about this hotel but it is functional for the business user and is reasonably priced so good value for money.

Room Tip: If you are going there by car, make sure you know the location of the hotel beforehand as it did not...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear roryjdoyle,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome.

We appreciate the feedback that we receive as this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Minsk, Belarus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport hotel for 3 days, and found the stay overall to be OK, there are some pros and cons as follow:

Pros:
1- Free airport shuttle is available, as well as shuttle to the city, although the frequency is poor and requires reservation, therefore we were able to use it only once on the way back to hotel but not when we were coming.

2- Rooms are large, well furnished, and clean

3- Staff are friendly and helpful

4- Room rates are excellent for the room size and class you get compared to Istanbul prices

Cons:

1- Location is poor, it is not really an airport hotel as it is a good 15 minutes drive away from airport, and it is not in a good location either, surrounded by trucks and truckers, industrial yards, etc. There are many outlets in that area within 10 min drive.

2- Air conditioning was hard to control as it was always on the warm side and we couldn't get it to cool the room.

3- Lighting in the room and hallways was always dark, not adequate, and tv channel selection was extremely poor with no more than 1-2 english chanels.

4- Every time you come in to the hotel, they search everything you bring in from the supermarket and you have to sign a paper that hotel is not responsible for food poisoning. This is unusual and uncomfortable.

Overall the hotel stay was ok and we had no issues, but I personally wouldn't stay there again. I still would recommend it for people who will have a stop over and need a place close to airport to sleep for a night or two.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear coldplay99988,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the area surrounding the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Holiday inn Istanbul airport is in industrial area and far from airport. There is a shuttle bus from/to airport, but it runs just once an hour only, First bus is at 6 AM, so if you have an early flight you need to take a cab. During rush out there are traffic jams.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Mikemsk,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We don't want any guest inconvenienced and rest assured that your comments will be used for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. Thank you again for staying with us.

Connie D
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Fairly standard business hotel convenient for the airport.Greeted by very friendly guy at check in who got me checked in very quickly and offered a discount for the hotel restaurant. Ate in the restaurant taking the buffet option which had a good selection of appetisers, main courses and desserts,..nothing spectacular. The room on the ninth floor was a reasonable size with a large TV and workspace area. I found the wireless connection to be slow especially if needing to send larger documents. There was no bath which would have been preferred at least to have an option. The breakfast buffet was very pleasant with good selection. In terms of location it's great for the airport but not if you want a base for sightseeing. It really is in my view a business hotel which does what you would expect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear dinoSwindon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the slow WIFI connection. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Lera P
Thessaloniki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed for a night on a short layover in Istanbul in January 2014. I booked it through an agent at the airport, so it was quite pricey. Nevertheless, it is exactly 10 minutes away by car from the airport and approximately 30-35 minutes from downtown Istanbul, unless you plan on going during rush hour, which can take much longer. The building is a typical Holiday Inn, new, well-managed. The staff is exceptional. Almost all speak very good English, not so common for Istanbul. They are very polite and always there to help. Booked a room on the 9th floor. Big, clean, quiet and very comfortable with a view on Istanbul's freeways. Breakfast very good with big enough variety to suit all needs. Perfect choice for people who want to be close to Airport and for short layovers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport-North? Share your experiences!