“excellent location but a bit expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Istanbul

Save Saved
You added W Istanbul to your Saves list
W Istanbul
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Suleyman Seba Cad. No:22 Akaretler, Besiktas, Istanbul 34357, Turkey   |
Ranked #254 of 901 hotels in Istanbul
Limassol, Cyprus
“excellent location but a bit expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed at the hotel, last year during my birthday. It has a very good location, descent and clean rooms, exceptionally good staff willing to help all the time. The hotel has a fancy modern design, with very low lighting. Very good beds. Wifi is free at the lobby area. The restaurant is also very nice but a bit expensive compare to the other restaurants in Istanbul. The only minus if I could say was the breakfast and this might be my mistake as I was expecting something really impressive but I enjoyed the best chestnuts ever. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback about your recent stay in our hotel.

We are perhaps too into those WOW moments lately! There's nothing more we like than people honoring their special moments in our hotel, so we make the best out of it :)

Look forward to welcoming you back into our gorgeous city and property,
Warmest regards!

749 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the W Istanbul for 3 nights, and while there is much to recommend about the hotel, I am unfortunately unable to give a full 5 stars as there are some minor flaws which cause the hotel to be slightly below the best of the best.

I want to first laud the service of the hotel - we were treated to some of the finest service we'd experienced anywhere in Europe, with my greatest praise reserved for Turgay. Turgay helped us bring our luggage to our room, and when he noticed that the room was for 2 singles immediately placed a call to the Reception and got us a couple room. Such attention to detail deserves to be highlighted - and it was the same throughout our stay, as various staff rose up and did the W proud.

The room itself was also very comfortable - the bed was wonderful (though my pillows were a little too soft for my liking), the day chaise was itself big enough to sleep on (and itself very comfortable), the room service was delicious and the "Whenever Wherever" call function was a fantastic one stop shop for everything we needed (though it took a bit of getting used to). I enjoyed the rain shower too, though I was shocked when I was first greeted by a blast of cold water - it takes a little bit of warming up to get started. And while the hotel isn't near Sultanahmet, that was a plus as the area was quiet, less crowded and offered a beautiful walk past the Dolmabahce Palace as we got to the nearby Kabatas Tram station to get to the touristy areas.

However, the final push to turn this into a 5-star hotel was sadly lacking - the wifi was extremely spotty in the rooms and I had to go through the paid option to get internet despite the fact that my plan included internet. The layout of the hotel is extremely confusing that I had to ask for directions a couple of times - the latter was a problem particularly when we wanted to get to breakfast. I also wish there was a cheaper alternative to get to Sabiha Gokcen airport - even Turgay winced when we told him we were going to Sabiha Gokcen airport. But all in all, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear W Guest,

We are truly honored and proud to hear that the Whatever/Whenever service and all of the team made you feel at home and cared the whole time.

The points you've mentioned negatively (especially the internet was the top priority!!) were reported to the related department heads to be taken immediate action upon.

Look forward to welcoming you back into our gorgeous city and property,
Warmest regards!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We arrived @2 am in the morning. Check in process was very smooth and friendly.
The room is small had a nice little garden but it was raining to take advantage of it. The area is very quiet. WE walked to Taksim square. It took us about 25 minutes. We walked to
Dolmabahçe Palace it ws about 10 minutes walk. We used taxi to go to old city.

The hotel concierge was very helpful for recommended our trips. We visited the night club one night. The crowed and the music was fun. It just was not for me. You have access the club from the back room and you do not have to wait in line.

We had a late flight. I asked fro a late check out @4 pm. I'm a gold member of SPG but I was asked to pay $65 for a late check out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us about your recent stay in our hotel.

We are really glad and honored to hear that the property, team and surrounding facilities were meeting your expectations and making you feel at home and cared.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have only arrived today and have not even slept yet but I must admit that I am not overwhelmed so far. Very nice building when you arrive and decoration is pretty good too. Staff is quite helpful and overall efficient. However, I think that there already been too many downsides:
- nice room (upgrade to Mega room, which is good but then I am missing the outdoor space I wanted) but quite dark; not great when I need to work even though there is a "work" mood for the lighting. the view is inexistent. facing a wall - small street.
- price for dry cleaning is simply outrageous. I have to get many things cleaned and hope that for the price of the best dry cleaning in Paris or London the job will be done amazingly.
- no coffee or tea in the room - this is not up to the standard. I do not even check that anymore on a website for a hotel and is missing greatly.
- internet is not free of charge. again, we are in 2013 in a hotel that is supposed to be modern and trendy...
- in room dining was ok but menu is very small.
- went for a drink to the lounge. it was empty. i asked for a whiskey and they did not have 2 of the whiskeys that were on the menu. then i changed my mind and asked for a tea (which was also on the menu) and I was told that they did not have hot water!!!!! quite unbelievable to be honest.
All in one. Far away from being impressed so far.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Baris B, Guest Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent stay in our hotel

All the points you've mentioned will be examined attentively.

Look forward to welcoming you once more.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

the hotel is situated in a nice neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and cafe's to choose from. the double room is spacious with 2 queen size beds made from mattresses from heaven and amazing pillow cases. the service was good.
the concierge wasn't very helpful in giving information about places to go in istanbul or tour companies. their over friendliness also seems a bit intrusive at times and suspicious, e.g. we wanted to take a cab to a restaurant and we were chased by the concierge asking where we were going, so we told him and he continued to chase us and insist on calling the restaurant to make a resevertaion. this annoyed us quite a bit and when we arrived at the restaurant, it didnt need a reservation.
This hotel is more suitable for couples, and maybe a single person. the rooms have dim lighting and dark interiors. having said that, the hotel has a very modern glitzy approach to most of its interiors. the bar was lovely to have a quiet drink in.
you cant open bedroom windows.
if you're a light sleeper like me, you'll hear the lobby music beat all night long. i didnt sleep well at al!

Room Tip: if you're a light sleeper try to get a room further down the hall to be as far away from the lou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear W Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback about your recent stay in our hotel.

We are sorry that our concierge was over-friendly about the dinner reservation. But this behaviour was more professional than friendly because in the chaotic daily life of Istanbul imagine yourself coming back all the way to the hotel because it was full. He is so sensitive about your convenience that he never takes the chance of letting you go without double checking with the restaurant.

Look forward to welcoming you back into our property and city!
Yorkshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I had reservations, having stayed in "designer" hotels during business trips and suffering because of the lack of practicality.

However, W Istanbul seems to have the balance just about right. You get the full feel of being in a cool place with fancy lighting and furnishings, but you also get desk space, good connectivity and an excellent sleep on one of the most comfortable beds I've had the pleasure of. The whole place is a bit on the dark side, but it's just about acceptable. One small point - adjusting the thermostat in the room didn't seem to make any difference, and it was a touch on the stuffy side.

The reception staff, of whom there seem to be dozens, were exceptionally welcoming and polite with a very good level of English. Some other staff I came into contact with could have had better English (such as in the bar next to the street, where I asked if I could order food, and they led me to the reception !?) They were polite enough, but surely if I'm in a bar, which has a stack of menus, and I ask for food, they should understand that, no? OK, I should learn some Turkish to use when I'm in Turkey, that's a fair point too.

The surrounding area is pleasant with some nice looking restaurants and cobbled streets. I actually nipped in to get an excellent kebab with several plates of different salads, for less than 20 lira, and that was good enough for me.

Breakfast is a nice spread. Watch out for the honeycomb - a really nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear W Guest,
Please let me say first of all, this was by far the most cooperative, constructive and peaceful way of commenting I've seen so far and I truly am grateful for your feedback.

We are so glad to hear that the hotels concept, surrounding facilities and team made you feel at home and cared.

Look forward to welcoming you once more.
Hove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have stayed in Istanbul quite a few times over the years and we keep going back as its such an amazing vibrant City, we stayed once before at the W ,they remembered us from our previous time (or at least they made us feel like they did!) . Its cool, fun and the staff are fabulous, they are all really charming and they make you feel good.

Rooms are great. We only had breakfast and that was great. The location is the best, you can walk everywhere and the building itself is amazing. Love the fact that it is very easygoing, you can have tea or coffee or drinks in the lounge use wifi and relax and you dont feel like youre in a bog standard or formal branded hotel, but more like youre in a very cool home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear W Guest,

Look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.
Warmest regards.

Been to W Istanbul? Share your experiences!