“Final bill included items that I had not requested” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #889 of 11,048 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Italian, Coffee Shop, International, Turkish
Toronto, Canada
“Final bill included items that I had not requested”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I wandered along this stretch of Istanbul for a few reasons. One being that I had been picked up by the van(for an afternoon cruise) that I was taking and this street was part of our route.
I eventually chose this restaurant because it was 8:45 p.m. and I was getting a bit hungry. Hadn't eaten since mid afternoon on cruise.
The waiter was very attentive and I ended up ordering a lamb casserole and a glass of wine. The waiter brought a small tray of olives, a bottle of water and bread w butter. Fine and dandy. There was a pleasant Russian family and a loud American couple.
The casserole was very good.
At one point, he gave me a bit more wine-'on the house'.
When I did get the bill, I was surprised to see charges for items that I hadn't ordered. It was likely the olives and water. I complained and he reduced the bill by a few liras. It was the principle of the matter.
Note: When I got back to my hotel room I checked in my Turkish/English book and couldn't find any of the items in the book. So maybe, it wasn't even Turkish.
Basically, I don't like being charged for something that I didn't order. Either don't charge for these items or tell me up front or put them on the menu with prices.
Would only recommend this place with warnings.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
New York City, New York
“I think there is where we had lunch one afternoon...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

In the neighborhood just down the hill from the Ayasofia and Topkapi Palace, there is a street with a number of little boutique hotels and terrace restaurants. We chose one of these that turned out to be connected to a Best Western hotel that looked very charming and had a balcony with an incredibly view of the harbor. The lunch we had was very enjoyable - I don't remember exactly what we ate, but I believe there were grape/vine leaves involved - everywhere we went in Istanbul, I ordered vine leaves, and they were different and amazing at each restaurant!

Visited August 2011