“Perfect for a romantic break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sumahan on the Water

You added Sumahan on the Water to your Saves list
Sumahan on the Water
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kuleli Cad. No:51 Cengelkoy, Uskudar, Istanbul 34684, Turkey   |
Ranked #98 of 979 Hotels in Istanbul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect for a romantic break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

In a tastefully converted distillery, Sumahan has genuine character. The keen eye of its architect owners is evident in the attention to detail and flawless execution of the renovation. Located on the Asian side, sightseeing is only a short boat ride away on either the hotels boat or public ferry. And on returning from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, Sumahan is a welcome tranquil oasis where we were could relax with an open log fire in our room. The views from the room were simply stunning, looking uninterrupted up and down the Bosporus. I loved the Hamam (Turkish bath) at the hotels spa. The staff were wonderfully helpful, knowledgeable and efficient. This was the best place I have ever stayed for a romantic getaway and I would definitely stay here again. The experience was simply amazing.

Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
Padova
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Just few words to say how much is fantastic is this hotel. Great Hotel, great location and great Staff!! is like to be home.

the best way to enjoy Istanbul ever.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We're so glad we decided to spend three nights at the Sumahan Hotel on the Asian side of the Bosphorus before transferring to the Sultanahmet District for the rest of our stay in Istanbul. This is a beautiful "boutique" hotel with amazing views, delightful breakfasts, and excellent service. Everyone at the hotel helped to make our stay memorable, especially concierge, Nural Inciler, who treated us like old friends visiting from out of town. The hotel's complimentary shuttle boat to the European side of the Bosphorus is a real treat.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

Ancient distillary converted into a 5 star hotel with taste and know-how, Sumahan is a real oasis of calm .The interior is stylish and the rooms are clean,confortable and well-furnished. Since the hotel was built towards the Bosphorus, you can enjoy the breath-taking view everywhere from your room, from the breakfast room, even from the library !Situated in the Asian side ,approximately 30 minute distance from the cultural spots , you can choose between the hotel private boat or the regular ferry (5 minute walking from the hotel ) to do the crossing and the sightseeing begins...In addition the hotel is provided with all the facilities such as free internet, library, gym, Spa/turkish bath and restaurant .A word about the hotel staff ,the more efficient I've ever met whose help made this stay even more precious.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We have been travelling many times to Istanbul, but Sumahan Hotel ist the best hotel to stay - by far!! The rooms and its location are exceptional, the staff is very friendly and everybody tries to make your stay at Sumahan as special as possible. This is definitiely a place we recommend to everybody looking for something off the beaten track and individual. We can only recommend it!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

I have often consulted reviews here before embarking on a trip but never felt like submitting a review myself – until now.
My husband and I returned in mid-November from Istanbul, where we stayed 5 nights at this fantastic boutique hotel. I was so impressed that I decided I had to share with others our experience with this wonderful place.

I must begin by saying that I disagree totally with a recent negative review. This hotel has it all:

Great service. The staff was unfailingly pleasant and helpful.

Great location. It is on the Asian side of the Bosporus and, as its full name implies, it is right “on the water.” After a full day of sightseeing in the old city, we enjoyed climbing aboard the ferryboat, ordering a glass of tea and sailing off to the pleasant little community of Cengolkoy. Sumahan is only a 5-minute stroll from where the boat docks. Back in our room, we could sit out on the lawn chairs, relaxing in peace and quiet as we watched night fall and the bridge and skyline of the old city light up across the water – an unforgettable view.

Great food. Breakfast is a feast for the eyes as well as the tummy. A big basket of fresh bread rolls and a beautifully presented tray of little bowls with the (unusual for us) colorful combination of fresh veggies, olives -- and sweet things like comb honey and tasty jams (made in-house, we were told!). We ate one night in the restaurant in the hotel – generous portions perfectly seasoned. A second night we ate at the conveniently-located 5-star Kordon next door, a gastronomical experience worthy of a separate review.

Great architectural design. We appreciated the sophisticated taste that informed both the public spaces and the individual rooms. The interior design is breathtakingly lovely, modern but with echoes of tradition: marble bathrooms and fluted ceilings, for example. You could see that love and care went into every detail.

Each day a tray of ripe unblemished fruit (purple plums, pale green pears) was left in our room after it was tidied – a perfect symbol of the hotel’s attention to providing guests with a truly perfect experience.

Stayed November 2008
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I have been to my fair share of hotels, but I was completely unprepared for the joy of Sumahan. The room was exceptionally well appointed and the details were meticulous down to the delicious chocolates welcoming me. The staff was so helpful that I was taken off guard and the food was exquisite (I recommend the Manti - Turkish Raviolli). In the evening we were treated to a beautiful fire in the room and the glow of Istanbul dancing across the Bosphorous. However, the gift that set Sumahan apart was the Turkish bath (Hamam), which left me so relaxed that I could have spent hours sipping the cool tea offered as I reclined in the spa. Not having a Turkish bath is a loss, but not having one at Sumahan is a crime. I didn't use it, but the hotel has a boat that will shuttle you to points along the strait. All of the calm of a seaside getaway in the middle of one of the biggest and most exciting cities on Earth. Exceptional.

• Liked — The view and the service
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sumahan on the Water? Share your experiences!