“One for the future” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ipek Palas

You added Hotel Ipek Palas to your Saves list
Hotel Ipek Palas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Orhaniye Cad. No:9, Sirkeci, Istanbul 34110, Turkey (Sirkeci)   |
Ranked #421 of 943 Hotels in Istanbul
“One for the future”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I travelled solo as an independant traveller to Istanbul which was a long time calling. Made my own arrangements with flight and hotel via one of the online facilitators and selected the hotel just by the sound of its name. Hadn't a clue where the Ipak Palas Hotel was since it was my first time to Istanbul, but the features appealed to me and really wasn't disappointed with what I experirnced.

Can't honestly say it is in the most accessible location but ideally located to get to most toursist sites, and even the yellow taxi that took me to the old part of the city from Taskim onthe otherside of this dynamic city in really what is a hussle and bussle in an overcrowded city in more ways than one. I nonetheless had problems finding it, but negotiated my own way to the Ipak after I handed over my Turkish Lire to the cab driver.

My arrival at the Ipak was a warm experience and that was made possible because of the welcome one received at the reception from the concierges to the reception desk, but most of all the personal customer service from Funus and I was no exception. From the effort to get you to book activities that is so abundant in and around the area and Istanbul in general to advising on where to eat and the main attractions. She was especially courteous and kind.

The hotel features were not a disappointment and is well kept and clean 82 rooms. There were lots to choose from the mainly cold buffet. The one evening meal that I had in the reastaurant was nothing to write home about, but you can't beat the spetacular view of Mosques that dominate the Istanbulat night sky 9and day) and the flickering lights of the Bosphorous bridge from the rooftop restaurant.

My only disappointment apart from the dinner was the location of my room, directly overlooking the building works for the subway and most of the time it was noisy, but this was made up by the courtesy of the maids and others mentioned above and easy access to eat and drink a cold Turkish beer round the corner from the hotel.

My understanding from speaking to Funus, an exceptional Customer Relations Officer at the front desk is that the Ipak has a long history and undoubtedly will be for a long time and with the development of the subway literary right on its doorstep will surely extend its life; one for the future I'd predict.

When I return to Istanbul and that would be soon, I would and it certainly deserve its stars' rating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

On arrival at the hotel while we were being allocated our room, my friend and I were offered complimentary drinks.

The room was a nice size, but very little wardrobe space for two women - but we managed. There was a very new modern electronic safe for all our cash and passports. The bathroom was very small but it was adequate.

The room also had a mini bar which we used to store our own drinks, however the prices of the drinks were not too high. So it won’t add too much to the final bill.

The breakfast area is located on the 6th floor and from some tables you are able to see the Bhosphorous. There is a good selection of food available – but I recommend you take your own tea bags if you like a good cup of tea.

The Ipek is in Sultanament and literally all places of interest are 10 -15 minutes away. It was really safe to walk around the area in the evening as there are many street cafes where locals and tourists are sat drinking tea or coffee.

On one side of the hotel, we were in room 107 there is lots of building work taking place across the road. As we arrived on Saturday it was not noisy – but on Monday night we hardly slept as the construction workers were there until 1.30am.
When we mentioned the situation to Ahmet at reception, he immediately arranged for us to move room and also provided a member of staff to take our cases to the new room which was on the other side of the hotel. From this room there was absolutely no sound of the building works.

Everyone at the hotel has a smile and are willing to assist you in all matters. For a 3 star hotel it was 5 star service with a smile.

I would highly recommend the hotel for the price we paid.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Very hospitable and warm welcoming as you enter the hotel check in.

We truely felt a real sense of warm welcoming with a smile as soon as we walked into the hotel - after our - not so long flight but our never ending journey from the Airport to the hotel.

Credit goes to all the staff to include Reception, Porters, Dinning Staff, Bar Staff, House Keeping, and must not forget RESERVATIONS, to name a few, who also helped with directions to get to the hotel from Airport.

I shall definitely be recommending HOTEL IPEK PALAS to all my friends who visits Istanbul.

Thanks again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We were given a room named Topkapi Palace. It was designed like the Sultan's room in the palace. There was a big Sultan's bed with a beatiful netting..(cbinlik....turkish) There was a show glass where different ottoman types of pieces were put. Also a big sofa where we could have a rest. Also there were alot of documents and photos about the palace in the rooms. We learned alot about it before visiting. They said if we reserved the room before 15 day we could get a free entrance for the palace. We went alot of different rest. but the food quality were not good as compared to the hotels top floor restaurant.The prices were economic.
The breakfast was wonderful with the nice old city and bosphorus view restaurant.
We did not get such different ,elegant service in our life.Thank you hotel Ipek Palas staff thanks for everything............we will not forget our memories forever............

Location
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

The greate advantage of this hotel is it's location. Conveniently close to the city's main attractions, the Spice Bazaar is within an easy walk. I recommend the Bosphorus ferry trip which is just a short walk to the waterfront. The Blue Mosque and the Underground Cistern are a short trip on the tram, costing only 1.5 TL for a token.

My room was rather small but adequate, and was provided with satellite television, including English speaking BBC World Service. The hotel itself, the rooms and the bathrooms were all clean and well maintained.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar, and the staff were helpful and friendly.

I really enjoyed my holiday and this hotel certainly contributed towards the memories that I brought back. For the price I paid, this is excellent value, and I would recommend anyone to visit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

The hotel is very well decorated, staff at the reception are very helpful and leave you alone to yourself unless you would like some assistance. They were very helpful in providing information about the local attractions and when is the best time to visit them. we were given a quad room with the best view on the 5th floor. the hotel staff were very keen to leave an impression. *****

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

The Hotel Ipek Palas Hotel is nice and centrally located. The staff are very helpful and the rooms were nice and clean. The hotel is within walking distance(10-15mins) to most of the main attraction - Haghia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar and Egypt Spice markets.

The hotel quite close to the tram station(Serkeci) which is convenient if you decide to take the inexpensive route from the Ataturk airport(approx 40mins-55mins). Its not a direct route so you have to interchange at Zeytinburnu.

The breakfast buffet had a great selection of hot and cold foods(more cold than hot) and has pretty decent views of the Bosporous river.

The only down side to it are that the rooms were are quite small and the walls, depending on your room, may not have the appropriate noise dampening materials. So you may hear your neighbours coughs, sneezing or conversation. Also, the call to prayer which happens regularly over the course of the day and night can also be heard, so if you're a light sleeper, maybe look at bringing a set of ear plugs as this will improve your stay.

If you able to see pass the minor down side, the hotel is worth the stay for the service, location and value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ipek Palas? Share your experiences!